The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Peluso Vs Telefunken.USA (much difference?)
Old 3rd June 2007
Gear Head

John, and everyone else, I've been thinking, and I'm curious if the Telefunken 47 would be better compared to the Peluso 22 251 instead of the 22 47LE? I know the 22 47LE is more expensive, but maybe the 22 251 would sound better on your voice. Maybe the sound of the Peluso would then have been closer to the 47?

Any other thoughts?
Old 3rd June 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
I would like to know if someone can actually tell the difference between a Peluso made 251 or 2247LE or P12 Versus a Telefunken USA Re-issues of the originals. Is there alot of difference? and If so, how much?
<!-- / message -->

Build quality and sound is much better on the Telefunken versus Peluso.
Old 3rd June 2007
Lives for gear

Honestly, I have the Peluso 251 I think some ppl get caught up on the name on this website b/c I really don't see the big deal with it. I thought it was my pre, so I go buy a millennia origin stt 1 to go with it when i already had a presonus adl 600 but..Nope not a big change, great pre same mic, so i thought my room wasn't the best sounding so i buy a reflexion filter, hmmm helped a little bit but still no big difference, now i just bought new studio monitors, upgraded from events to jbl's..but i did do a test on some genelec's 1031's a while ago with a few other engineers and they could not hear the difference with the 251 and my sp c1..In fact, they thought "I" was crazy b/c I kept comparing the two saying there's no huge difference until I showed them...They all were shocked that indeed I was telling the truth...And if anyone dares to tell me i'm crazy or i don't know what i'm talking about...I will buy plane tickets and bring the two mic's too your studio and bet big money that you'll be hard press to hear even a 5% difference b/w the two on vocals...Btw, Its a great looking mic and its up for grabs for $950 if ne one wants it....I'm not saying the mic sounds bad, b/c it does not, i'm just saying a $200 mic i bought yrs ago sounds almost identical on a lot of vocals. You may find slight difference's if you really solo the vocal and knit pick with the sound but in real life situation's and when you're spending hard earned money, i don't see the justification unless you like to impress other "engineers" by saying you have one....Oh, and I hope the telefunken elam 251 does not even come close to the peluso cause if so....hmmm no comment..

I honestly think some products do not get their credits b/c they are affordable and sound good. I think sometimes in the engineering community engineers get a high off of impressing others with name dropping..b/c while i think high end products are definitely good, in most situations i neva see a night and day difference even when their is $1,000's of dollars difference in price...Just my input fwiw...But I have to say, everyone is entitled to their own opinion right? Well gentleman have a great day
Old 3rd June 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry if I wasn't any help to the original question....I know i flew off topic with my response..but i was also basically saying if there is a little difference between Peluson and Telefunken then why would someone pay i think $13k for that mic?
Old 3rd June 2007
Lives for gear

Where does the Pearlman TM-1 fall in this scenario?
Old 3rd June 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
OR Are you asking how the $1700 Peluso 22 47 LE compares to the $1,600 AK-47 that TelefunkenUSA produces?

Blew which Telefunken away?

One of the new TelefunkenUSA mics? ...or some 40 year old piece [which I guess doesn't have a model number] that obviously hasn't seen maintenance since the Beatles broke up
Sorry, I didn't see this one.......It was a brand new one, he spent a fortune. I'll check were the test files are and get back to you.

John van den Oetelaar
Old 3rd June 2007
Lives for gear

That's kinda like the at 4060. I think it def hang's with the big boys. I only bought it cause i had such a great deal on one and it was brand new. When i first took it out of the box ,i really wasnt expecting something great, just good. But once i tested it out, i could'nt get over how clear and great it sounds. This is comming from a guy with a sony c800g. But getting back to this subject. I don't know how much of a difference their is with these two mics, but i will say i think to hear the real difference of potential of a mic, you need a really great singer behind it.
Old 3rd June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
That's kinda like the at 4060. I think it def hang's with the big boys. I only bought it cause i had such a great deal on one and it was brand new. When i first took it out of the box ,i really wasnt expecting something great, just good. But once i tested it out, i could'nt get over how clear and great it sounds. This is comming from a guy with a sony c800g. But getting back to this subject. I don't know how much of a difference their is with these two mics, but i will say i think to hear the real difference of potential of a mic, you need a really great singer behind it.
I totally agree about having a great singer...I said that many of times, to get the true sound out of a good mic you need a great singer with a strong voice...So i totally agree with you on that one..
Old 3rd June 2007
Gear Nut

Mic test

Hope these files help guys. I can't help but think the Telefunken must be broken or something. It had a terrible radio pick up as well, that is audible in these recordings.
All clips were recorded through a Focusrite Red 6!!

It's in Dutch!!!

If you don't like these, don't shoot me!!! I have seen enough people around here pissed on that were only trying to help out in a discussion/quest....tutt tutt

www.ootlesound.com/mictest/Peluso2247.mp3
www.ootlesound.com/mictest/Peluso22251.mp3
www.ootlesound.com/mictest/Telefunken U47-m.mp3
www.ootlesound.com/mictest/M149.mp3

John
Old 3rd June 2007
Gear Addict

The M149 sounded the smoothest and mose open to me, but I'm just listening on my imac.
Old 3rd June 2007
Lives for gear

+1 for me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
The M149 sounded the smoothest and mose open to me, but I'm just listening on my imac.
Old 3rd June 2007
Gear Addict

Yip detailed without being harsh, I have a 2247 (short), and it is better than anything else I have as far as detail, but it is a bit thick. I wish I could move up a notch.
Old 12th June 2007
Gear Addict

My favorite was the 2247 though it was a little thick and needs a few db shaved off the low end.

2nd. The 22 251 was a little thin but still good sounding. The mids were not as nice as the 2247.

The M149 had too much sizzle on the top and made the high mids sound scooped. It was my least favorite.

The u47 may have been the best. It was very well balanced and big like the peluso but with the low end in its proper place. But the noise made it un-usable.
Old 12th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
For you, for your home, you'd be getting a completely legitimate big budget sound from the Peluso and I wouldn't worry about trying to grab the Telefunken name.
How much cachet does the Telefunken name really carry with clients? Do people realize that Telefunken USA is not the same company that sold (didn't even build) the microphones that are so desirable on the used market?

-Duardo
Old 12th June 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks i~ve just found mic for me - M149. Excellent!
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

The M149 is a great mic you just have to be very careful when A/B ing to other mics as it is an extremely hot mic (signal wise). Sometimes it sounds more detailed because essentially there will be more gain in your chain even if you are using the same mic pre.

Great mic nontheless IMO
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
COuldnt agree with you more there.. his voice on the 251 sounds alot better than thanthe 2247 LE..!! LE sounds a bit muddled and the 251 abit brighter...IMOHO.
See - I apparently am not hearing what you guys are hearing. I have a feeling the song might have skewed the opinion on the 2247. Here's one that's a little less Country...

The Way
Old 13th June 2007
Gear Head

Hey John,

I still like the Tele 251 better on your voice. It just has more detail. I went back and listened again to every clip and still hear more detail on the Tele 251.

When you tried the mics did you try the Peluso 251? Again maybe comparing the new Tele 251 with the Peluso would be a better comparison.

The Peluso 2247 sound really good, no question, but still not the detail the Tele has.

But you know what? I've not heard your voice without a mic. That would tell everything. In the end, the songs are really good, the vocals sound good and you like the sound so that's all that matters!
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootle View Post
Hope these files help guys. I can't help but think the Telefunken must be broken or something. It had a terrible radio pick up as well, that is audible in these recordings.

It's in Dutch!!!

If you don't like these, don't shoot me!!! I have seen enough people around here pissed on that were only trying to help out in a discussion/quest....tutt tutt
John

1. Peluso 2247
2. Neumann M149
3. Peluso 251
4. Telefunken U47m (because of the bad noise)
Old 22nd June 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankT34 View Post
It'd be cool if someone posted comparison shootout of peluso 2247 vs telefunken AK47 as I'm considering buying one of those to go with Great River Me 1 NV preamp
+1

and if it's got the perlman tm-1 in it, +4!
Old 23rd June 2007
Gear Addict

I did some more listening to the clips and ignored(takes a little concentration) the noise of the U47. It really was the best sounding. Smooth and flattering.
The 2247 was 2nd. I didn't really like the 251 or the M149 as much as the other two.

Dean
Old 23rd June 2007
Lives for gear

i find my 2247LE LOVES having some nice chain-mates.
Great River, Neve pre's, Lavry AD, cranesong trakker, distressor (try it), LA2A, etc...

Some push the LE as a "miracle" mic...it isn't. But mate it with some kick-ass pres/comp/EQ's and it can definitely fill in missing flavor in your sound.

Pair the 47LE with some lesser gear, and I find it's very easy to be turned away from it. thus, the "haters."

I think the LE is a GREAT team player...but Superstar??. Not so much. Doesn't steal the show the way the CM7 does.

-nes
Old 25th June 2007
Lives for gear

Without a doubt in my mind, the Peluso beats the 251 on you John. Sure, the 251 has a little more "detail" or sheen on it - but the 2247 just sounds so utterly cool - it has great character and I really feel like it exposes your voice a lot better. It seems more up front, it seems like it has more mid body to it, and there's PaaaaLENTY of high end (did you eq it in the mix?).

I really think the Peluso does a great job here. I also think that people get really, really tied up in "detail" instead of listening to the mic on the voice as a whole. The high end is the easiest place to go for criticism - it's also one of the easiest fixes if you don't have quite enough of it. EQ can be added to bring out high end clarity - but it is damn near impossible to bring out the kind of overall body and midrange character that the Peluso has on these tracks.

Now. What I'd really like to hear, is the Wunder CM7-GT with your voice, up against the Peluso 2247 LE. That would be a great comparison and one worth doing if you could ever swing it...
Old 25th June 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybregar View Post
Without a doubt in my mind, the Peluso beats the 251 on you John. Sure, the 251 has a little more "detail" or sheen on it - but the 2247 just sounds so utterly cool - it has great character and I really feel like it exposes your voice a lot better. It seems more up front, it seems like it has more mid body to it, and there's PaaaaLENTY of high end (did you eq it in the mix?).

I really think the Peluso does a great job here. I also think that people get really, really tied up in "detail" instead of listening to the mic on the voice as a whole. The high end is the easiest place to go for criticism - it's also one of the easiest fixes if you don't have quite enough of it. EQ can be added to bring out high end clarity - but it is damn near impossible to bring out the kind of overall body and midrange character that the Peluso has on these tracks.

Now. What I'd really like to hear, is the Wunder CM7-GT with your voice, up against the Peluso 2247 LE. That would be a great comparison and one worth doing if you could ever swing it...
I was beginning to think I was the only one who liked the Peluso better...To me, it just sounds SO much bigger. While the Tele 251 never got harsh, (most 251 or C12 copies get harsh on my voice) it could just about take your head off. Just not the right combo for my voice. Great mic, just not on me. If you hear those clips up loud and over nearfields, you can hear that. The thing I've liked about the 2247 LE is that it's not overly midrangy and has a really nice top end. I've found it can get a little sibilant with my Aurora though. Just need to de-ess a little. As for the CM7-GT, stay tuned. I'll post some comparisons...
Old 25th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootle View Post

It's in Dutch!!!

John
i think the 2247 sounds best in this application, especially if you are gonna do voice-over. i think the other ones had too much proximity effect and the M149 had something in the high-mids, like some sort of nasal resonance that bothered me. i think the 2247 will cut the best, especially for broadcast.

man, now i want one.
Old 25th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Just need to de-ess a little. As for the CM7-GT, stay tuned. I'll post some comparisons...
Hurry...heh
Old 26th June 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybregar View Post

Wunder is still waiting on the PSU's for the GT. I predict a late July/August release.
Old 26th June 2007
Lives for gear
Holy ****e...that's unbelievable...they're already 4 months late...
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I have no doubt that the $10k mic is going to win the shootouts...you've got to decide whether it's worth the extra $8000. I used a Tele Ela M 251 E on this song You've Changed and it was just too harsh on my voice. It's an $8000 mic. I've loved the 2247 LE - used it on this song Something I Really Want To Do
and it was $1700...
So - the 2247 LE was TONS better for me. Now would a Tele 47 be even better...probably, but I just don't think it's a $8200 difference.
For what it's worth, here's a female on a Studio Projects C1 - and it sounds incredible...it's $200.
Tried Too Hard

hey John,
what is your go-to choice for micing the acoustic guitars? Those tracks sound great and the SP C1 really brings out the magic in her voice on Tried Too Hard.
Old 24th February 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Are you asking how the $1700 Peluso 22 47 LE compares to the $10,000 U47M (VF14) that Telefunken produces?

We're talking about Telefunken USA, who stuck their logo on a cheap Chinese mic, called it the M16, and charged 10x more than it was worth, so you can't really trust the price argument.

Anyways, I've never heard the U47M, but I know that for $1700, it's tough to beat the Peluso for vintage-type tube microphone sounds (although it should be possible to find it new in the $1500 range...).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search