The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Flea 47 next Condenser Microphones
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head
New Flea 47 next

Hi guys
I"ve just received the mic this afternoon> I did a couple of tracks with voice and it just sounds with not too much low end and also no hi end. It sounds almost thin besides of my u87. I supposed that it would sounds with more body but it doesn't.
Could be a failure ?
Any idea _ thanks
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head
Nobody ?
Old 4th April 2019
Sound samples?
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

If it doesn't sound STUNNING then there is a problem of some kind with the one you got....
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Guru

If it sounds thin compared to a U87, something probably isn't right.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

It should SMOKE the 87
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
It should SMOKE the 87
It doesn´t. Still sounds good clear but no balls no live.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolufer View Post
It doesn´t. Still sounds good clear but no balls no live.
Get in contact with Flea
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

I would check for a tube that might have worked it's way loose during transport. It's an easy check before you go nuclear on it and have to send it back.

Last edited by Crash; 4th April 2019 at 08:19 PM..
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I would check for a tube that might have worked it's way loose during transport. It's an easy check before you go nuclear on it and have to send it back.
Thanks a lot I don't know how to do it but I will check it.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's just a couple of screws on the body, a few on the capsule assembly to remove that, and the body tube will slide off. That is how it is on the FLEA 47 Vintage, I would assume it is the same on the Next.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
It's just a couple of screws on the body, a few on the capsule assembly to remove that, and the body tube will slide off. That is how it is on the FLEA 47 Vintage, I would assume it is the same on the Next.
Oh I appreciate your help ! Thanks
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh I appreciate your help ! Thanks
Good luck, and don't misplace any of the screws, they are little. Here is a pic of what you will have with it apart. You can see the empty screw holes.

Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Mine has one screw at the bottom of the body and 3 screws at the grille head. That's it ?
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Good luck, and don't misplace any of the screws, they are little. Here is a pic of what you will have with it apart. You can see the empty screw holes.

Ey You are a greatest guy! I appreciate so much your help really.
Thanks very much
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Addict

I wouldn't personally open the thing without talking to Flea first, especially if you are not used to doing techy things with mics...
Also the warranty might not be longer valid if you tamper with it etc... (not sure but possible)
Old 6th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
It should SMOKE the 87
I've admittedly never heard the Flea 47, but I do have a few nice microphones of my own, and none of them "smoke" my 87ai. All of them have qualities I appreciate and find useful, but my 87 sounds incredibly articulate and beautifully balanced. Just for another perspective.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Head
One thing that most impressed me is that the Flea has less gain than the U87 may be is something wrong with this particular mic ? I thought as a valve mic It should sounds louder. I turn the gain pre (1073 ) at -35 db with the U87 and to get same result I got to turn to -45 db with the Flea.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Head
At the end I think " Boutique manufactures" are taking us for fools... U47'style, 1073'style...It's never true !
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Did you buy the used one that was for sale here on GS in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago?
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
At the end I think " Boutique manufactures" are taking us for fools... U47'style, 1073'style...It's never true !
The Flea 47 should sound astounding. It is about the best 47 clone made IMHO. I like them even better than the new T Funk 47s.
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Did you buy the used one that was for sale here on GS in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago?
No I bought it new

Last edited by jolufer; 7th April 2019 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Pls. get it checked out at FLEA or enlist the help of your dealer.
If it is not working correctly, ask for a replacement rather than having this example of the mic repaired.
Old 8th April 2019
I have a Flea 47 next. Sometimes the U87 is better, depends on the voice.
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
Does also your 47 next have less gain than the U87 ?
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Does also your 47 next have less gain than the u 87 ?
Old 8th April 2019
Quote:
Does also your 47 next have less gain than the u 87 ?
The Flea seems to have a little less gain....Maybe 6db, its never been a problem.

It's a stunning mic, but isn't always the best fit for a singer.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
The Flea seems to have a little less gain....Maybe 6db, its never been a problem.

It's a stunning mic, but isn't always the best fit for a singer.
Thanks Clearwave, i’m trying to know if my 47 next is running ok or if it has an issue. I thought it would sound bigger than my u87 but it does not. Still sounds ok but doesn’t have the low end and bright that the u87 has as an example. May be is the way It is and I made a bad choice. I never tried a u47 style before. I appreciate any help.
Old 12th April 2019
Quote:
Thanks Clearwave, i’m trying to know if my 47 next is running ok or if it has an issue. I thought it would sound bigger than my u87 but it does not. Still sounds ok but doesn’t have the low end and bright that the u87 has as an example. May be is the way It is and I made a bad choice. I never tried a u47 style before. I appreciate any help.
Did you buy the Flea to use on just one singer?

If so, and you don't like it better than the mic you have (u87), then return the Flea.

If you're gonna record many singers, try it on a few other singers before you make a decision.

Trust your ears, It's OK to send it back if you don't like it.

I record many, many singers. Sometimes a U87 or SM7 beat the Flea.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search