The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
bae 1073 mp - line and mic in Single-Channel Preamps
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut

bae 1073 mp - line and mic in

Hey I'm considering a 1073 mp for the usual stuff like guitar, bass and vocals but I also want to run digital pianos maybe some busses through it.

I'm just wondering about the connections. The front panel is trs for di and unbalanced line in, while the back is xlr for mic and balanced line.

Say I'm going out of my interface trs stereo output, in order to use the balanced line on the 1073 I'd have a trs to xlr cable going into the back with the 'ln' switch engaged?

If I add no gain, I'll just get the same db level signal back and if I want colouration I add gain and then trim? Is it also ok to lower the output from within the daw or is that a bad idea?
Old 4th April 2019
yeah, 2 TRS to XLRM cables for stereo, into the BAE inputs with the line selector engaged
Old 4th April 2019
probably set the output level to ~-18dbfs to start, BAE output (attenuator) all the way up, and gain at unity (same as input).

Like you said, play with increasing gain while attenuating output..
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
probably set the output level to ~-18dbfs to start, BAE output (attenuator) all the way up, and gain at unity (same as input).

Like you said, play with increasing gain while attenuating output..
Right thanks very much. So what would be the common use for the unbalanced line input rather than di? Would a distortion pedal from guitar potentially go into the trs line input?

Do you have experience running busses / mixes through it, how do you find it? Do you think the low pass filter much better than software?
Old 4th April 2019
I’m under the impression the 1/4” jack on the front is a high-impedance TS (not TRS) intended for use with instruments. I was not aware it could be used for unbalanced line level as well.

I have a dual MPF unit, and I do like the low pass filter, but I have not, as yet, used it very much as a line level buss/mix conditioner, but I’m but it’ll be fun to play with that way.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Nut

So could i go from electric guitar -> effects pedal into unbalanced line in on the front or would it require a di box beforehand? I have a passive direct box and I would like to go through all transformer stages of the bae.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru

on the BAE website ... under features ..

1073MP

and to ADD !!! 150k ohm DI .. now that is not the Megaohm that some might be used to .. so not sure what to say .. i use external DI's ... except for my Babyface Pro ... and that is 1 MOhm
Attached Thumbnails
bae 1073 mp - line and mic in-screen-shot-2019-04-04-7.06.58-pm.png   bae 1073 mp - line and mic in-screen-shot-2019-04-04-7.06.53-pm.png  
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzi View Post
So could i go from electric guitar -> effects pedal into unbalanced line in on the front or would it require a di box beforehand? I have a passive direct box and I would like to go through all transformer stages of the bae.
You can actually do either. Try both and see which sounds best. If you have a really good DI, it might beat the stock DI in the BAE. I ordered my 1073MPFs with the “Bootsy Mod” which is essentially a nice Jensen transformer for the DI. It is a VERY good DI.

If you want to go “Line In”, you need to go in the XLRs in the back, activate the Line switch, & back the gain down to around 0dB of Line Gain boost (marked on the red gain knob faceplate). You can also play with boosting the gain up and backing the output down with the output attenuator.

Most importantly, compare and use your ears. None of our opinions really matter...it’s what you like!

Last edited by Spindrift; 5th April 2019 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
You can actually do either. Try both and see which sounds best. If you have a really good DI, it might beat the stock DI in the BAE. I ordered my 1073MPFs with the “Bootsy Mod” which is essentially a nice Jensen transformer for the DI. It is a VERY good DI.

If you want to go “Line In”, you need to go in the XLRs in the back, activate the Line switch, & back the gain down to around 0dB of Line Gain boost (marked on the red gain knob faceplate). You can also play with boosting the gain up and backing the output down with the output attenuator.

Most importantly, compare and use your ears. None our opinions really matter...it’s what you like!
Oh okay guys thanks for all the info, much appreciated
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Nut

In general would there be any difference in having 2 single channel units rather than a dual? I'm thinking in terms of stereo imaging and balance between units. Or are the single channel units so well done that there would be no difference?
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzi View Post
In general would there be any difference in having 2 single channel units rather than a dual? I'm thinking in terms of stereo imaging and balance between units. Or are the single channel units so well done that there would be no difference?
Hard to say. If they're units manufactured within a close time frame (1 year) and have the same componentry, they're likely to be close enough. Safer to go with a dual unit in this case I think.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search