The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot or Dynaudios Studio Monitors
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Head

Barefoot or Dynaudios

Looking for new monitors for a small home mixing studio (16m2, 40m3). Has some treatment / bass trapping, not too bad sounding given the size.

Looking at Barefoot Footprint 01 or Dynaudio LYD 48. Anyone tried these two offerings?

I know this question is a bit vague but hoping someone has perhaps heard both and can chime in with their experiences.

Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aside View Post
Looking for new monitors for a small home mixing studio (16m2, 40m3). Has some treatment / bass trapping, not too bad sounding given the size.

Looking at Barefoot Footprint 01 or Dynaudio LYD 48. Anyone tried these two offerings?

I know this question is a bit vague but hoping someone has perhaps heard both and can chime in with their experiences.

Thanks
Working in a similar-size room. If you haven't tried (as in mixing with them) a pair of Amphion One15's, you really should. Best mix tool I've found in a long time.
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Head

Totally different speakers. Dynaudio Lyd 48 is a small, ported three way with little volume and bass extension, making you wonder why that mid dome is even there if not to just make midrange not trash. I’m not a fan but it’s not a bad speaker. Barefoot Footprint 001 is a small three way that goes low and thumps hard. Go Barefoot for the money between those two. You can get cheaper 80hz to 20khz nearfield monitors than Lyd 48.
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear

FWIW - I like the Barefoots. I A/B:d the MicroMain27 against my Genelec 8351s and they weren't far behind actually. But - I know three people with Barefoots and they have all broken down. Not the people, but the speakers. Could be coincidence, but I thought I should mention it.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

I own barefoots and use them in various facilities....not an issue with reliability.
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear

Could be coincidence then. Great monitors in any case.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

The Barefoots are more forward and dynamic sounding thus more fatiguing over a longer period of time. Get the MM45 they souy nd the best.
The Amphions are more relaxed but very clear and fast so they let you hear everything but not as hyped so never fatigue with them.
My pick are the Amphions for sure. I demoed the One15 Two15 and One18. Prefer the One18 for a more extended speaker.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Head

Nobody who likes the Barefoots and hearing the actual dynamics present in their own recordings from a sealed speaker with tons of head room will like the Amphions. The Amphions are horrific. I am less offended by the NS10m Studio model with the improved power handling. The Amphions neither possess any dynamics nor any clean extension at both treble and bass. When pushed, they’re a wash of ringing, metallic resonance, and distortion. That is verifiable in the measurements should you care to look some up or measure them yourself. They are truly overrated speakers solely for those seeking a flat, metallic, nasty presentation of their mix and reference recordings rather than what they truly sound like on clear monitors that can present the dynamics or how the recording will sound in the real world of consumer hifi setups.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
Nobody who likes the Barefoots and hearing the actual dynamics present in their own recordings from a sealed speaker with tons of head room will like the Amphions. The Amphions are horrific. I am less offended by the NS10m Studio model with the improved power handling. The Amphions neither possess any dynamics nor any clean extension at both treble and bass. When pushed, they’re a wash of ringing, metallic resonance, and distortion. That is verifiable in the measurements should you care to look some up or measure them yourself. They are truly overrated speakers solely for those seeking a flat, metallic, nasty presentation of their mix and reference recordings rather than what they truly sound like on clear monitors that can present the dynamics or how the recording will sound in the real world of consumer hifi setups.
Did you actually test them???
I did for sure and its utter crap what you say here period.
Old 17th April 2019
7+1
Lives for gear

Ill give a shout for ATC 45s. Still incredibly satisfied after over 3 years
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Did you actually test them???
I did for sure and its utter crap what you say here period.
Yes, they are total crap. Just because you like Amphion does not make Amphion good speakers or accurate monitors. Some people just like low end distortion when pushed, resonant highs (I don't mind the Seas tweeters that much but it is there), colored mid-range, and dulled dynamics. Some people like KRK. I like KRK. KRK are good for hi-fi speakers but they are crap monitors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search