The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody Still Rocking With D.W. Fearn Gear? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
VT1 and VT7 user here. They've been with me for several years.

Back in 2015 I contacted Doug to ask him some questions about the VT15 after I'd started hunting around the used market for one.
One thing I was concerned with was if it had a cooling fan like the VT7. Reason is that I wanted a unit with a mic pre and compressor for VO work but no EQ, and needed to situate the unit close to the work station & mic so silence was a big factor.

After answering my questions about the VT15, and discussing cooling fan requirements on his units that have them, Doug graciously offered to build me a custom unit with a VT1 mic pre and a single channel VT7 compressor without a cooling fan. So I took him up on the offer and he went to work designing it. He drafted the schematic and after he was confident in the design and we discussed control feature options he built what he called the VT17. (VT1 & VT7 = VT17).

Being a prototype, he used a VT7 face plate and rearranged & relabeled the control knobs and switches. The build was beyond my expectations and has been my signal chain for VO since the day it arrived. I guess one day I'll reach a point where it's time to send it to a new home but it's gonna be pricey!
Vt-17! Love it. Sounds like a cool next box for hazelrigg industries.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
How? How, I ask, has this gear flown so far under the radar? It is so seldom mentioned, yet the quality is astonishing. It's abso-tutely fabulous! I mean: Wow. Just wow. I've been putting the mighty VT-1 to the test ever since I got it. Drum OH and room, guitars, vocals, even bass. Everything sounds big and fantastic! If I can make an observation, lower end gear often has lots of knobs and lights and tricks and features to make the stuff seem like a big bang for your buck. You don't find tricks taking up any part of the time-space continuum on D.W. Fearn gear. And when you plug your mic into a D.W. by God Fearn preamp, you immediately know why. There's no need to fiddle with knobs because you're using a truly Great Preamp! The mids, the highs, the lows! Everything sounds like it is in perfect place already. It's like my whole signal chain is passing through air. I'm trying hard not to litter this post with F-bombs because that's the only word that really conveys my impression of this awesome f-ing machine!

Welcome to my studio, Mr. Fearn. Yes, they will have to pry you out of my cold, dead hands.
Love the enthusiasm.

Fearn-fearn-fearn let's hear it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___GLM___ View Post
Could you make a comparison between the Fearn and another Preamp, like Neve 1073, or API or even Apollo preamps, so we can hear it?
I‘m also very interested in Fearn preamps...
Alright. It's not my best performance, but here are three samples of just what you asked for. Neve 1073, API 512c, and a Fearn VT-1. Can you pick each one? can you tell them apart? My least favorite surprised me.

There's no processing. No EQ, no compression. Just guitar, mic and pre. I'll give the answer as to what's what shortly.
Attached Files

Pre Sample 1.mp3 (1.13 MB, 416 views)

Pre Sample 2.mp3 (1.13 MB, 403 views)

Pre Sample 3.mp3 (1.13 MB, 417 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Fern
Neve
API

That's my quess on the cheap speakers I have in front of me
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Good guess.
1. API
2. Neve
3. Fearn

The differences are pretty subtle, but I liked the Fearn the best and the Neve the least. It surprised me that, for me, a 1073 would be my least favorite. In the context of a record though, I think they'd all be pretty interchangeable on guitar. I find for vocals, the Fearn edges out the others and gives a beautiful result.

Last edited by voodoo4u; 4 weeks ago at 12:22 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
Alright. It's not my best performance, but here are three samples of just what you asked for. Neve 1073, API 512c, and a Fearn VT-1. Can you pick each one? can you tell them apart? My least favorite surprised me.

There's no processing. No EQ, no compression. Just guitar, mic and pre. I'll give the answer as to what's what shortly.
1. API
2. Neve
3. Fearn
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Good guess.
Interesting. The Fearn has a more clear sound and renders the high mids really well, but for me the Neve was my favorite. It gave this particular guitar a really guttural tone in the low mids that ripped my heart out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Well **** I guessed right, thought I didn't realize we'd have the answer so soon.
I actually prefer the Neve, but they are all solid and workable.

Quote:
Good guess.
1. API
2. Neve
3. Fearn

The differences are pretty subtle, but I liked the Fearn the best and the Neve the least. It surprised me that, for me, a 1073 would be my least favorite. In the context of a record though, I think they'd all be pretty interchangeable on guitar. I find for vocals, the Fearn edges out the others and gives a beautiful result.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

#3 , Fearn is my favorite by a wide margin. Monitoring today through Aurora(n), HD-650

Yes, I knew the answers before I listened but I also have great tube pres I know very well (Coil).

Quote:
Good guess.
1. API
2. Neve
3. Fearn

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

They all sound good! You truly do need a high end system to really appreciate the finer quality's of high end gear. Listening from my phone to my PMC system was kind of a more noticeable difference ha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search