The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann KH 750 - read before you buy it Studio Monitors
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head
Neumann KH 750 - read before you buy it

Hello folks, I have bought a Neumann 750 KH and had it for 2 days. Very well built subwoofer, however please note:

- NONE of the DSP features are available at the moment (unless you are using the sub with a set of KH 80 speakers)

- there is no manual or documentation whatsoever (for the sub and for the software)

Neumann commented that they are "heavily working on a software update" to fix this. Sorry I heard this too many times before (and the people who waited over 1 year to get the software for the Neumann DH80 speakers have as well). I am returning my KH 750.

Hope this is helpful to anyone who is thinking of buying it and - like me - thought you could use the DSP features with any set of monitors you like. I would also comment that the total absence of a manual really does not help either. Very poor from a company like Neumann.

Hope this helps someone not getting in the same situation I have (i.e. buying a product that does not yet do what it is supposed to do)

PS just to clarify, the control app cannot even complete the set up if it doesn't find the KH80s connected, so you really have no access whatsoever to any DSP features for the kh 750. You cannot even set up the crossover point. Nothing at all.

Last edited by nekkio99; 1st April 2019 at 11:10 AM..
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Guru

The documentation of the KH 750 is HERE.

Last edited by John Willett; 5th April 2019 at 07:15 PM..
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head
Hi John

there is no manual at the link you sent. There is a quickstart guide (that does not cover anything more than one line descriptions of the back panel), there are marketing brochures of all kind, very useful guides on setting up speaker and subwooders (though not specific to any aprticular product) but no product manual AT ALL. Or no manual or even basic guide for the control app software AT ALL.

Say you want to connect to the subwoofer using the digital in: one has no idea what cable they need to use, the impedance of the inputs (75ohm? 100ohns?) what the situation is with clocking/sample rate etc: NOTHING.

This is as poor as poor can be.
Old 1st April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkio99 View Post

This is as poor as poor can be.
No, actually this is great news for someone who never in nine million years could buy one of these. Thanks!
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkio99 View Post
Neumann commented that they are "heavily working on a software update" to fix this. Sorry I heard this too many times before (and the people who waited over 1 year to get the software for the Neumann DH80 speakers have as well).
This was a frustrating wait. Now also bear in mind if you really want to fully implement the KH series you'll need to wait for the Neumann measurement microphone. We may even see Brexit before this date!

Tbh I'm still tempted by the KH-750 as I'm keen to hear how a full range Neumann system performs but the same part of me that can't leave the analogue mixer behind is also thinking to just ditch DSP in speakers as well.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head
Very fair comments kaykaynotk, and very frustrating indeed.

I would also comment that if Neumann was more straight forward about having to wait I would see it very differently. At least you can weight your options and decide accordingly. But not saying anything, and you buy something that cannot do what advertised until they give you the software - god knows when - that really is out or order (and legally dubious too).
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Head
The good news is the KH-80's sound incredible right out of the box, just by using the switches in the back. I don't even have an iPod to download the app and set up the speakers... I can't imagine how good the sub will sound with them, and then how good they will sound once I can use the app.... someday.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have a pair of KH80s with a KH805 and was considering the KH750 as its size would work better in my room.

The KH80s are excellent.

However... The Neumann.Control app doesn't work with mine. I've tried following all of Neumann's suggestions and cannot get the app to work. I found a video of someone on YouTube having similar issues who returned his pair. My issues seem worse than his :-).

Also, it's iPad only, still no Android, PC or Mac.

Anyway they sound excellent so I will keep them, but if anyone was considering purchase to access the DSP features, I'd advise forgetting the KH80 for the time being.
Old 1 week ago
SRS
Lives for gear

Looks like all the KH750 documentation is on the Neumann website when I just looked. Have you figured this all out, or did you in fact return the sub? Curious. I have the KH420 with the KH870 sub and really respect and like the series. I also have the little KH120s too and love them as well. Big Neumann monitor fan here, and I've had my share of other brands through the years. Glad Neumann have continued on with the K&H line as they have.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search