The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IZ Radar converters VS others converters today 2019
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Maniac

IZ Radar converters VS others converters today 2019

Hi to all of you

How does IZ radar converters stand-up sonically sound wise compared to today's converters.

Has anyone done a test shootout or comparison with the IZ radar converters and the following list of converters below.

I have read many times many people say IZ radar converters cannot be touched for their sonic signature character of sound but what about today march 2019 and the new converters on the block how does radar converters stand-up sonically sound wise to other converters in 2019

Today's converters meaning the likes of the following,
Universal audio Apollo X converters, apogee Symphony MK11 converters, Burl converters, lynx converters, antelope converters, prism converters, focusrite converters RME converters, LAVRY converters

Apogee say they used two converters and it's summed together to get what they want, burl says they use a transformer in the AD converter stage stage to get what they want.

Do radar converters still surpass and dominate most other converters out there sonically speaking sound wise in 2019?
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Watching this thread with anticipatory anxiety.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

They sound fantastic. I have owned MANY convertors and currently use the Nyquist/Classic 96 convertors for tracking and mixing.

They are musical and complete sounding without suffering from being dull or too warm like other convertors. I went from Lavry Blues, to a Burl Mothership, to a Prism ADA-8XR, Back to Lavry Blues and then to the iZ ADA II.

I still enjoy the character of Lavry Blues but the iZ is just more real sounding. And the Prism ADA-8XR is super linear and great for everything, but they didn’t have enough character for my taste in a multi-tracking situation. But they are great and STILL can’t be bested to this day if you want things 99% neutral with just a little sweetening.

I don’t miss the Burl and I am of the opinion that the iZ does a universally better job of what the Burl aims to do, but without the drawbacks. The iZ works for all styles and doesn’t limit your sonic options in the same way the Burl does.

The iZ was even on par my old Lavry Gold in a mastering scenario, and however it doesn’t have the signature Lavry Gold sound, it took clipping just as well and sounded better on plenty of tracks.

The DA’s are very musical and excel at realistic sounding reamps, translate well for mixing, and feed my summing mixer nicely.

Despite what people like to think, these convertors have not been bested by more modern convertor offerings.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Maniac

I have owned a few converters (Apogee, Lynx, etc.) & I preferred the IZ ADA II by leaps and bounds. I owned a Lynx Hilo (my converter before my IZ box) and although the Lynx is very "technically" impressive on paper, it lacked something that the ADA II brings to the table. The ADA is clear yet boasts this special kind of character that I wasn't able to find in any other box. It's a big investment ($10,000+ dollars) but was totally worth IMHO.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Fantastic
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Any more comments from radar uses who have compared radar with today's new converters?
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysound View Post
Any more comments from radar uses who have compared radar with today's new converters?
I'm using Radar 24 Nyquist converters, and having compared them extensively to:

Metric Halo ULN-8
Burl B2
UA 2192
Lynx L22 (the old one)
Cranesong HEDD

All of which I've owned or still own, and I prefer the sound of the Radar. It's awesome. But it's also the unparalleled workflow via the Session Controller. Even without that, I'd go Radar ADA if tracking to a DAW. The power supply is crucial and Radar doesn't skimp in that regard...
Old 3rd April 2019
Radar Nyquist 2 used AKM converter chips, 4393 DAC's and 5393 ADC's. Same as used in the Alesis Masterlink and the HD24XR. I just got a "end of life" notice, they are now discontinued.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

An occasional collaborator swears by the Radar converters. I note, though, that the converter's impact is quickly lost by other production decisions, and mixing through elaborate paths of analog desks and outboard.

I'll join the other climate deniers and express that converters are less and less the rate-limiting step of what we do in 2019.

John Caldwell
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell View Post
An occasional collaborator swears by the Radar converters. I note, though, that the converter's impact is quickly lost by other production decisions, and mixing through elaborate paths of analog desks and outboard.

I'll join the other climate deniers and express that converters are less and less the rate-limiting step of what we do in 2019.

John Caldwell
I disagree. By this logic nothing from the mic to the preamp to the compressor/eq chosen matters due to being lost/altered by 'elaborate paths of analog desks and outboard' thereafter. It all matters, and the better the conversion the better the end product in my experience, tracking/mixing/mastering signal chain that precedes/follows notwithstanding. I do concur, however, that we are blessed with pretty fine conversion at not-insurmountable prices these days.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
They sound fantastic. I have owned MANY convertors and currently use the Nyquist/Classic 96 convertors for tracking and mixing.

They are musical and complete sounding without suffering from being dull or too warm like other convertors. I went from Lavry Blues, to a Burl Mothership, to a Prism ADA-8XR, Back to Lavry Blues and then to the iZ ADA II.

I still enjoy the character of Lavry Blues but the iZ is just more real sounding. And the Prism ADA-8XR is super linear and great for everything, but they didn’t have enough character for my taste in a multi-tracking situation. But they are great and STILL can’t be bested to this day if you want things 99% neutral with just a little sweetening.

I don’t miss the Burl and I am of the opinion that the iZ does a universally better job of what the Burl aims to do, but without the drawbacks. The iZ works for all styles and doesn’t limit your sonic options in the same way the Burl does.

The iZ was even on par my old Lavry Gold in a mastering scenario, and however it doesn’t have the signature Lavry Gold sound, it took clipping just as well and sounded better on plenty of tracks.

The DA’s are very musical and excel at realistic sounding reamps, translate well for mixing, and feed my summing mixer nicely.

Despite what people like to think, these convertors have not been bested by more modern convertor offerings.
Why isn't there more people using radar converters if they are that good and sound much better than converters made today?
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi to all of you

How does IZ radar converters stand-up sonically sound wise compared to today's converters.

Has anyone done a test shootout or comparison with the IZ radar converters and the following list of converters below.

I have read many times many people say IZ radar converters cannot be touched for their sonic signature character of sound but what about today march 2019 and the new converters on the block how does radar converters stand-up sonically sound wise to other converters in 2019

Today's converters meaning the likes of the following,
Universal audio Apollo X converters, apogee Symphony MK11 converters, Burl converters, lynx converters, antelope converters, prism converters, focusrite converters RME converters, LAVRY converters

Apogee say they used two converters and it's summed together to get what they want, burl says they use a transformer in the AD converter stage stage to get what they want.

Do radar converters still surpass and dominate most other converters out there sonically speaking sound wise in 2019?
They are still among the best, even the older ones. Their converters are much better than focusrite, RME and Apollo.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why isn't there more people using radar converters if they are that good and sound much better than converters made today?
Cost. That’s really why. I looked into getting an ADA II in 2012 and I was able to get a lower track count Burl Morhership for quite a bit less money with a hookup. Also, the IZ was kind of an unknown too, whereas I was able to get a Burl B2 2 Channel AD to get a feel for the convertor and then expand to a Mothership. Lavry Blues were WAY more expensive on the used market back then too. More per channel than the Burl.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergreeny View Post
I'm using Radar 24 Nyquist converters, and having compared them extensively to:

Metric Halo ULN-8
Burl B2
UA 2192
Lynx L22 (the old one)
Cranesong HEDD

All of which I've owned or still own, and I prefer the sound of the Radar. It's awesome. But it's also the unparalleled workflow via the Session Controller. Even without that, I'd go Radar ADA if tracking to a DAW. The power supply is crucial and Radar doesn't skimp in that regard...

Thanks for all your comments.
All your comments have been fantastic and very helpful.

I was more interested in a direct shootout comparison between the new 2019
Apollo X and radar converters sonically speaking sounds wise.

Thanks
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Any Apollo X 2019 model users out there who also have radar and has compared the sound

thanks
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Maniac
i'm still a huge of fan of the radar classic converters. they were really the first digital that sounded good enough to my ears to stop worrying about tape.

i cut tons of records on them, when i moved into protools land, i still fed my DAW with my radar converters and monitored back through them as well.

the only converters i've used that i liked a bit better for some things...were burl and the original universal audio 2192.

there is just something about the classic radar that sounds right to my ears. probably because i'm just so used to the way they sound.

i am curious about how different things would sound with the new universal audio apollo interfaces. that system seems to make a lot of sense for a guy like me.

i no longer have a large format console. i just want to setup a small rig at home for tracking and mixing. ideally 16-18 inputs at a time. maybe 16 outputs to my summing box for mixing.

i've got an apollo twin, and it sounds fine..but i've not tracked a whole kit or band with apollo converters.

they'd have to be pretty amazing to make me want to give up the radar.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Maniac
it's funny, i cut a lot of records to radar and folks that would like those albums always asked what kind of tape machine i was using.

they did always sound...analog...to my ears. particularly the high end of cymbals and guitars just always sounded right on radar.

i could be nuts. but, most people who use and love radar....agree with me on this.

there has always been something special about the radar conversion...and the thing i always liked best besides the sound: they feel like working on tape.

i also know i'm old..and that is just not that important these days to most people. it was to me.
Old 15th April 2019
member no 666

FWIW [I know this isn't the 2nd had sales place... but], I have a RADAR V with 24x 96k "Nyqvist" converters... it comes with the unit, a 48 channel remote [buttons moved around to mirror an MCI JH-24 vs. the standard model that has the buttons arranged like a Studer A-800]. It works great... I just don't have a use for it any longer $4500 + shipping

PM me if you're interested...

Peace
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Maniac
fletcher !!!
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
FWIW [I know this isn't the 2nd had sales place... but], I have a RADAR V with 24x 96k "Nyqvist" converters... it comes with the unit, a 48 channel remote [buttons moved around to mirror an MCI JH-24 vs. the standard model that has the buttons arranged like a Studer A-800]. It works great... I just don't have a use for it any longer $4500 + shipping

Peace
this is an insane deal for an insane recorder.

if i didn't already have 2 radar units...i'd be on it.

i actually ran a similar rig to what you used to have at mercenary. yamaha pm2k and radar. some daking, neve, manley, altec, and helios preamps. decent outboard.

someday i'll get it all set back up again.
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

Peace

Hello
What converters will you be using instead of the radar when you sell it
Old 15th April 2019
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
this is an insane deal for an insane recorder.

if i didn't already have 2 radar units...i'd be on it.

i actually ran a similar rig to what you used to have at mercenary. yamaha pm2k and radar. some daking, neve, manley, altec, and helios preamps. decent outboard.

someday i'll get it all set back up again.
Hope you do set it up again... fun stuff. This is the RADAR from Mercenary... had a couple projects on some drives that I thought I'd get to... after a few years, realized it wasn't going to happen hence the RADAR is for sale.

Peace
Old 15th April 2019
Someone Buy Fletchers Radar and make some rekkehds
Old 15th April 2019
Quote:
Hello
What converters will you be using instead of the radar when you sell it
Probably one that mixes a drink. He runs a bar, not a studio.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Maniac

good so see IZ Radar is on top
This is what we want the sound just sound

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search