The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Obsidian Compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Head

Obsidian Compressor

Hi guys
How's the Obsidian compared to the G comp? Is the 4:1 ratio a softer knee on the Obsidian as well or you use 2:1 for mix bus? Thanks.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

I think 2:1 sounds better on the Obsidian. The main differences is that the Obsidian has a very wide sound field that doesn't collapse when compressing, has a pleasant color, and maybe a little rounder sound with less hard smack. I think it sounds better, but maybe it is a little less aggressive.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

I like the Obsidian more. Transformer balanced I/O has a really pleasant color. More ratios. HPF side chain is a bonus. Better price, too.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
I think 2:1 sounds better on the Obsidian. The main differences is that the Obsidian has a very wide sound field that doesn't collapse when compressing, has a pleasant color, and maybe a little rounder sound with less hard smack. I think it sounds better, but maybe it is a little less aggressive.
yes smooth and gelling is what we need for the mix bus. The HPF to allow the low end gets through is a bonus. The unit build quality looks top notch.
Old 1st April 2019
Here for the gear

Very Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStudio View Post
yes smooth and gelling is what we need for the mix bus. The HPF to allow the low end gets through is a bonus. The unit build quality looks top notch.
In ONE variation of my mix buss, I run the output of the SSL X-Desk into an Obsidian into a API 2500 and then an API 5500 EQ before printing. With just a few dB off (fast attack/fast release) the Obsidian takes the mix to "a record", then the 2500's transformers add depth and punch with a fast attack/auto release, trimming maybe 2 dB. I rarely use the 5500 EQ, but just being in the chain, it makes a nice bottom. I maybe add/subtract a dB here or there for polish. The Obsidian is VERY nice.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear
Agree with all the other posters. The Obsidian is, IMO, the best version of the SSL type compressor. Used it for mix buss and drum buss. Also a sneaky tracking compressor for bass guitars.
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
Agree with all the other posters. The Obsidian is, IMO, the best version of the SSL type compressor. Used it for mix buss and drum buss. Also a sneaky tracking compressor for bass guitars.
that's what everybody is saying. Do you agree that the 2:1 sounds better on the Obsidian instead of typical 4:1 we usually do on the G comp?
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

The detection circuit on the obsidian works differently from an SSL, so you almost *need* to do the HPF on the sidechain and 2:1 or it will sound sloppy. The gain reduction circuit works like the GSSL clone.

That said, some people like the sound better, and why not, fine by me...variety is the spice of life.
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Addict
I demo'd an Obsidian last year and although it's a nice compressor, I was a little underwhelmed. Personally, if you're wanting a smacky SSL sound, I don't think the Obsidian is the compressor for you. It's a great subtle mixbus compressor with some TX colour but it personally wasn't for me.

At the time of demoing the Obsidian, I had already ordered a Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus and actually didn't find the Obsidian to be 'opposite enough' - I was after something harder sounding than the Phoenix.

I've recently added a Smart C2 to the collection and it's much more what I was after. Considerably more smacky and in your face sounding that the Obsidian. I use the Phoenix for the smoother, more colourful compression.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStudio View Post
Hi guys
How's the Obsidian compared to the G comp? Is the 4:1 ratio a softer knee on the Obsidian as well or you use 2:1 for mix bus? Thanks.
Actually I dig the 4:1 on the Obsidian and use it all the time while mixing. It is my preferred ratio. It offers up more of the VCA slap that you associate with the ssl style Compressor. Good for glueing a mix together with a few dB of reduction. The transformers do round out the attack with a sweetened upper midrange. It is immediately noticeable. The transformer tone can cover up the VCA characteristic at 2:1 and lower settings when very light reduction is used. Be mindful which is doing what to the transient attack.
Definitely could see where a clean ssl style compressor would be useful to someone using a large outboard chain. All depends on the material and what you’re looking for sound wise. I’ve owned the ssl 384. I’ll stick with the obsidian.

Last edited by scorpiwoman; 3 weeks ago at 02:43 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Obsidian is great ... the 500 one
That said the really ssl- y thing might be in other units more
I found useful info from a gs member Thelastbyte
Old 3 weeks ago
I find it too smeary and it loses clarity very easily. I'd rather have a TK or a Wes Dione and a Mu of some description in conjunction. Though the Vertigo VSC2 is my favourite, very impressive sonically and groove wise. I sold my Dramastic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Had the VSC-2 and found it substandard, sonically. The auto release was also too slow. Sold it and kept the Dramastic. Wider, and clearer sounding. Also reacts really well when you lean into it. I ended up selling a unit for Dramastic when I bought by a well known engineer's studio to play with and he loved how it sounded when he leaned into it, telling me that it had that same grind that the SSL 4k had when he used to mix on it in the 80s. He ended up buying one for himself.

Haven't tried the VSC-3 yet so I don't know if they improved the tone or clarity. They obviously felt the auto release was too slow as well as the new unit also has a fast auto release available. I'd be willing to give it a second chance and try the VSC-3 at some point.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Had the VSC-2 and found it substandard, sonically. The auto release was also too slow. Sold it and kept the Dramastic. Wider, and clearer sounding. Also reacts really well when you lean into it. I ended up selling a unit for Dramastic when I bought by a well known engineer's studio to play with and he loved how it sounded when he leaned into it, telling me that it had that same grind that the SSL 4k had when he used to mix on it in the 80s. He ended up buying one for himself.

Haven't tried the VSC-3 yet so I don't know if they improved the tone or clarity. They obviously felt the auto release was too slow as well as the new unit also has a fast auto release available. I'd be willing to give it a second chance and try the VSC-3 at some point.
We'll have to agree to disagree then as of all the compressors I have. The Vertigo could not be described as substandard. Check the mastering thread, it eats most of the competition for breakfast for detail and box tone, something which cannot be said of the Obsidian.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Looking at multiple dealers online it appears the the Dramastic Audio Obsidian compressor in no longer available anywhere? I purchased mine last year. It's a killer compressor hope this isn't long term...
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiwoman View Post
Looking at multiple dealers online it appears the the Dramastic Audio Obsidian compressor in no longer available anywhere? I purchased mine last year. It's a killer compressor hope this isn't long term...
Available here!

https://paudio.com/product-category/...amastic-audio/

(allow a few weeks for delivery, as John is a one-man company, building them himself)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search