The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler TG Mic
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Addict

Chandler TG Mic

Well I'm posting here because I believe if its Chandler gear it's High End. The mic comes packed in its own wood case in a box with the shock mount and a wall wart power supply. My personal opinion is Chandler should have shipped it with its own case like the REDD Mic and a redone power supply with out a wall wart. As far as the cable goes I did not think anyone could put out a thiner cable than the U67 reissue. Congratulations Chandler you did it. Don't get me wrong I am a huge Chandler fan, I have their REDD Mic, RS-124, REDD 47 and used their first LTD-1's. This set up is a little disappointing to me. And to add insult to injury the mic does not even pass signal and has to go back. I have heard the mic in person and it is wonderful from what I listened to. However it needs to be used and tested in one's own hands. I was so looking forward to this mic I have been waiting for weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Chandler TG Mic-img_2203.jpg   Chandler TG Mic-img_2204.jpg   Chandler TG Mic-img_2206.jpg  
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Well, that sucks... Sorry! I'm curious about the "wall wart", as I assumed it was just going to have a small power supply like a tube mic.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Also, is that a vent or port above the TG logo? I don't remember seeing that in any of the pictures. The screws next to the tape settings seem to be in a different location as well, something just seems off to me...
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Is anyone else seeing some major discrepancies between the picture posted in here and this one? The text and logo sizes just seem off. The word "microphone" is longer than the EMI logo in all the published pictures. The mic in this thread just seems different.

Old 30th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Is anyone else seeing some major discrepancies between the picture posted in here and this one? The text and logo sizes just seem off. The word "microphone" is longer than the EMI logo in all the published pictures. The mic in this thread just seems different.

Yes a vent, it was ordered during NAMM when I heard it in person. I did not see the power supply at that time. But I have seen original REDD mics different with vents. As far as off, it sure is, no levels what so ever. I don't want to take it apart. Its already back in the packing taped and sealed and is going back tomorrow. Wall wart are you kidding me!
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Yes a vent, it was ordered during NAMM when I heard it in person. I did not see the power supply at that time. But I have seen original REDD mics different with vents. As far as off, it sure is, no levels what so ever. I don't want to take it apart. Its already back in the packing taped and sealed and is going back tomorrow. Wall wart are you kidding me!
Who did you order it from? It just seemed a bit odd to me that there's a surprise vent on there and the print logos and sizes are that off. God forbid there are fakes of these things floating around, if it were any other mic it wouldn't surprise me! Is @ adam_f still working for chandler?
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Who did you order it from? It just seemed a bit odd to me that there's a surprise vent on there and the print logos and sizes are that off. God forbid there are fakes of these things floating around, if it were any other mic it wouldn't surprise me! Is @ adam_f still working for chandler?
It's from a good dealer, they would not be running scams. I just think I got a bad one or it got bumped in transit. I hope they rethink the power supply, packing and cable. The mic sounded good when I heard it.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

I just got one as well from sweetwater and it looks the same as the pictures posted here. It's not really uncommon for a manufacturer to make some design changes like graphics and minor hardware changes as they go into full production. A lot of times stuff shown at namm, etc. is a prototype and press is done around it.

Anyway mine works just fine and I am quite impressed with the sound! It does indeed have its own power supply box similar to a tube mic (though a lot smaller) It's that supply that has a wall wart connected to it. I do think I might have preferred it to have a larger power box with an IEC cable, but on the other hand...I'm sure that would cost significantly more.

As far as the cable goes, it is small diameter, yes. However it is a mogami cable. I'm not really concerned about its quality, myself. Of course I can always just make one if i prefer.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Had one at my place last Saturday for an afternoon of vocal tests. Sounded great no matter where you twisted that knob. I personally would be paralyzed with the options but I can see the appeal. Looked and felt well built.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

@ bzone I’m sorry it’s not working right out of the box, very odd and we’lol get you sorted out. Can you email me the details so I can help expedite, you have my info?

The cable is Mogami quad core, the REDD cable is Mogami but thicker because it’s 8 pair; more wires thicker cable.

The wall wart isn’t the power supply, it just the transformer, the actual PSU is in the black box / TG gray front panel.

Wade added the vent to the final because he wanted it to be consistent with the REDDs, which were given a vent about 1 year into peoduction. The vent on the REDD wasn’t necnecessary, however, he felt it might allay any worries some had regarding heat, he likes the way it looks too. The screws at the bottom were moved/spaced further apart too.

Last edited by adam_f; 30th March 2019 at 03:33 PM..
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
@ bzone I’m sorry it’s not working right out of the box, very odd and we’lol get you sorted out. Can you email me the details so I can help expedite, you have my info?

The cable is Mogami quad core, the REDD cable is Mogami but thicker because it’s 8 pair; more wires thicker cable.

The wall wart isn’t the power supply, it just the transformer, the actual PSU is in the black box / TG gray front panel.

Wade added the vent to the final because he wanted it to be consistent with the REDDs, which were given a vent about 1 year into peoduction. The vent on the REDD wasn’t necnecessary, however, he felt it might allay any worries some had regarding heat, he likes the way it looks too. The screws at the bottom were moved/spaced further apart too.
Adam thank you so much for the response. I know how much you care and how good a company Chandler is.

First off the place I ordered it from, I have had problems with before. It looked like the original box from Chandler was opened and someone used the mic, probably dropped it and put it back in the box and sent it out to me.

However I'm going to give you some tough love. To start with, this has always bothered me with the cheap plastic knobs that are installed on the Redd 47 and the RS-124. They are great pieces of gear. I would have been happy to pay more for the real deal like you have installed on all your other gear. But, I just can't get my head around your decisions with the TG Mic.

In a real working situation, someone is going to trip over and get their feet caught up in that cheesy wall wart cable, pull the plug out fall down and take out three other mic stands, and not only ruin your TG mic, but probable three other mic's as well. What if they are original 251's? Could you imagine the cost then? And at the same time snap that spaghetti thin cable that comes with the mic.

Look you have manufacturers that make you parts for the REDD mic. I would be happy to pay $1,500.00 more for the mic if it's that good. Have the same power box that comes with the REDD, install a toggle switch on the front with a proper light, install the electronics inside, and put a proper three prong IEC cable to plug in, so that every one can see the supply and cable. Then get a better mic cable with a thicker casing, that can at least be seen. Then wrap the whole thing up in that wonderful case that comes with the REDD mic, with the proper foam inserts cut out. Some people need to travel with equipment.

Unfortunately, I have already sent the TG mic back to where it was purchased and get a refund. If I could pay to have these modifications made. I would be happy to buy the mic again.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Hi @ bzone I value your opinion and hear your frustration, It's a bummer that you weren't able to hear the mic in your own environment next to the REDD and for that I'm truly sorry and am as frustrated as you are; agreed it's strange that it appeared as if it had been opened. As to the sonics of the TG, it is indeed is every bit on par to the level of the REDD or any top tier microphones many times it's price, I would like to come visit your studio so you can have that chance, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Addict

Upgrade options aren’t a bad idea on what I am confident is a great mic. Mine is on order and it may bring me back around to adding a REDD since the two were purposely designed to be different and cover a lot of ground.

For those who want options and are willing to pay for them, why not design options/packages.

Of course it adds complexity but you can price it accordingly and upgrades are always higher margin.

When I buy gear from boutique companies, I always ask the maker about upgrades, especially power supply upgrades and cables.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi @ bzone I value your opinion and hear your frustration, It's a bummer that you weren't able to hear the mic in your own environment next to the REDD and for that I'm truly sorry and am as frustrated as you are; agreed it's strange that it appeared as if it had been opened. As to the sonics of the TG, it is indeed is every bit on par to the level of the REDD or any top tier microphones many times it's price, I would like to come visit your studio so you can have that chance, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks so much. I’m sure it is great, but, I’m not buying any mic that comes with a wall wart, not in this life, or any other. Charge me what ever you want, build a real sturdy supply and I’m all in. I’ll by my own case and have a real cable made if I have to.

Last edited by bzone; 31st March 2019 at 01:57 PM..
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Upgrade options aren’t a bad idea on what I am confident is a great mic. Mine is on order and it may bring me back around to adding a REDD since the two were purposely designed to be different and cover a lot of ground.

For those who want options and are willing to pay for them, why not design options/packages.

Of course it adds complexity but you can price it accordingly and upgrades are always higher margin.

When I buy gear from boutique companies, I always ask the maker about upgrades, especially power supply upgrades and cables.

Steve, ping me when you get it, I have some additional Setup Notes and a quick way to learn all the different sounds.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Addict

Awesome offer Adam, I will. Sweetwater says near the end of April.

Quote:
Steve, ping me when you get it, I have some additional Setup Notes and a quick way to learn all the different sounds.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut

I have an itch about thin cables that get kinky too. Just sayin. I’ve also had to tape the wall warts to the power strips on live gigs so the dang things don’t get dislodged and fall out. The crew laughs at me.
Old 31st March 2019
Damn. I "liked" the original post before reading it because I thought it was a Chandler party

Sad now that I can't un-like.
:(
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Head

I just ordered a pair. Sold my Akg c414eb pair to get them. I probably won’t be to bothered by the cable and wall wart. But I’m a bit of a newbie that probably doesn’t know better. I’m excited as I’ve love the examples I’ve heard so far. I’ll also be the first person in NZ to own them, which is quite cool.
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
Damn. I "liked" the original post before reading it because I thought it was a Chandler party

Sad now that I can't un-like.
:(
I’ll come for a TG Mic party visit...def worth the gander next to your REDD; it’s a workhorse!
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
I just ordered a pair. Sold my Akg c414eb pair to get them. I probably won’t be to bothered by the cable and wall wart. But I’m a bit of a newbie that probably doesn’t know better. I’m excited as I’ve love the examples I’ve heard so far. I’ll also be the first person in NZ to own them, which is quite cool.
Hey Pops, I’m excited for you, please msg. me your email address and I’ll send you some setup notes. FWIW, The cable is quality Mogami just like the REDD, only less wires hence less diameter.
; the REDD cable has 8 wires, where the TG has 4. Also the wart is simply a mains transformer exteralized from the actual power supply box.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Addict

Regarding cables, if Chandler is in a business position to consider alternatives to Mogami, which is great cable, I have loved Gotham Cable.

After learning of the history of Gotham and reading notes on Gotham cable by Klaus, I looked them up, had excellent personal communication, was very pleasantly surprised at the cost (close to Mogami), and very impressed by the look, feel, handling and audio.

A worthwhile exploration if Chandler is ever looking for a step up in cable, customization and relationship.

Quote:
Hey Pops, I’m excited for you, please msg. me your email address and I’ll send you some setup notes. FWIW, The cable is quality Mogami just like the REDD, only less wires hence less diameter.
; the REDD cable has 8 wires, where the TG has 4. Also the wart is simply a mains transformer exteralized from the actual power supply box.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut

What plugs into the wall/mains? Better not be an adapter!
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2busdriver View Post
What plugs into the wall/mains? Better not be an adapter!
Yep
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut

No way. Crikey. Thanks bzone. I've got the TG coming next week, my first Chandler product, or, was. If its a 2-prong adapter I'm sending it back without even trying it. I don't do dongles (if I can help it). Lol?
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
No way. Crikey. Thanks bzone. I've got the TG coming next week, my first Chandler product, or, was. If its a 2-prong adapter I'm sending it back without even trying it. I don't do dongles (if I can help it). Lol?
Look, it’s a good mic, I have heard it. In chandlers defense they make great products. I think if we look at the situation, they want to get their high end gear out to more people. So to reduce cost they made it this way. I am looking at it from an old school practical application. Personally if we give them time and the benefit of the doubt I’m Sure they could come up with a solution. I think remaking a supply is a good idea, someone may say, for the price I will go through the inconvenience. Or it may not be a problem for them. I want gear that can stand the test of time and hold up to some banging around. I think a solid supply case with a three prong plug is better. May not be others ideas or opinion.

Last edited by bzone; 31st March 2019 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut

Certainly. I'm being a little too touchy about it and I'm not complaining, just taken aback. I'm just not a dongle type. I could purchase an adapter for their adapter so it fits my mains but would rather re-buy the Mic later.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut

Thank you to adam_f for PM conversation about TG Mic setup ideas (not related to my little rant here).

I enjoyed his First Class communication from Chandler.
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Certainly. I'm being a little too touchy about it and I'm not complaining, just taken aback. I'm just not a dongle type. I could purchase an adapter for their adapter so it fits my mains but would rather re-buy the Mic later.
Wade’s design externalizes the mains transformer from the actual power supply, that’s all that is plugged into the wall, it in of itself isn’t the PSU. The actual power supply is in a small chassis and hand-wired in Iowa, on a Chandler Limited ciruitboard just like our other external power supplies. We have major engineers & producers already using TG Mic on a daily basis in professional situations without issue or complaint; Abbey Road Studios included.

The mic cable is high-quality Mogami quad, same audio gauge wire as in the REDD Mic Mogami cable, albeit the TG Mic is 4 pin and only requires 4 wires, compared to the 7 used in the tube mic cable for the REDD, hence the diameter of the TG cable isn’t as large, and actually nice and pliable. The REDD Mogami cable has a mix of gauges, some bigger for higher voltages needed by the tube, the other gauges are the same in both wires, same copper same quality Mogami used to wire many studios.

We went with the classic wooden mic box this time rather than the custom flight case of the REDD Mic, for a couple reasons, users told us they wouldn’t use the flight case (though our traveling engineers and artists would,) many users don’t travel, secondly the big flight case adds to the overall cost.

The REDD Microphone is $4,775 U.S. MAP, while the TG Microphone is an incredible value at $1,849. The TG Microphone performs at the level of the REDD Microphone and historic priceless vintage U47s, U67s and others in use at Abbey Road Studios. In fact the time it takes to build as we do by hand, the TG Microphone is under-priced and will probably rise as did the REDD.

I hope you see it to give the mic a try before writing it off.

Last edited by adam_f; 1st April 2019 at 11:15 AM..
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

I can totally understand not putting the TG in a pelican case. The REDD makes more sense because it's a microphone and a preamp, it's a great choice to fly and travel with. I'm willing to bet that if the case is deep enough, I might be able to get a custom insert that would let me put a laptop and a small interface like the UA Arrow in there. The thought has crossed my mind and the REDD is on my radar because of that. It would be nice to be able to grab a pelican case and a mic stand bag with a few cables in it and know I'm good to go.

This might be an incredibly stupid question, so excuse my ignorance. How is grounding handled with the 2 prong wall wart? I'm in the middle of nowhere in Arkansas, and the power here is really horrible. There were days that my preamps were noticeably noisier, along with a bunch of other issues. I ended up getting an EquiTech balanced power supply for the control room, I've also run a long extension cord into the live room that's plugged into the EquiTech for my tube mic's and amps. One of my small pedal boards is running off of one of those little 1 Spot power supplies that's basically a wall wart. It absolutely has to be plugged into the EquiTech or there's grounding and power issues. I had to order the 3 prong adapter for my MacBook power supply to solve a few problems.

All that in a nutshell, I've gotten 3 prong cables for anything/everything I can to solve grounding and power issues. I don't have the technical knowledge to know why, but I've had problems out here with some stuff on 2 prong wall warts. It's not as much of an issue now that I have the EquiTech, but I'm paranoid about it now. Is there any specific reason this isn't terminating in a 3 prong IEC?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search