The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler TG Mic
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by packermans4 View Post
You may have already seen this, but just in case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oll-Xcf75ew
Thanks, very interesting results.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Finally got my pair! Used them on quite a few lead vocals, cello, drum rooms, OHs. They're very impressive sounding on System A. A vocal sounds very finished going straight into a compressor and nothing else, which I've never experienced before. I've been comparing it to a tonne of my go-to mics and am really impressed!
Here's a couple of sound files of my 12-string. A U87 AI and a TG (system A, position 5) both running into a 1073.

The wav versions are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1orne6nyy...xgxAyI5Fa?dl=0
Attached Files

M1.mp3 (1.07 MB, 3677 views)

M2.mp3 (1.07 MB, 3657 views)

Old 15th May 2019
Gear Addict

To clarify, M1 = U87 AI and M2 = TG?

For any who don't know, position 5 = "IEC/NAB 7.5 Ips – Greater Bass and Treble emphasis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMac View Post
Finally got my pair! Used them on quite a few lead vocals, cello, drum rooms, OHs. They're very impressive sounding on System A. A vocal sounds very finished going straight into a compressor and nothing else, which I've never experienced before. I've been comparing it to a tonne of my go-to mics and am really impressed!
Here's a couple of sound files of my 12-string. A U87 AI and a TG (system A, position 5) both running into a 1073.

The wav versions are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1orne6nyy...xgxAyI5Fa?dl=0
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Addict

I am linking another track with the same vocalist, Johanna, I have been posting from a recent session (new session this Saturday).

Regarding the TG's "emphasis", to me the simple processing takes it out, maybe a bit too much for my taste but I am open to opinions

This vocal is also TG Mic, A, Flat > Coil 286 with 110 Input Transformer 41HN Output Transformer and Negative Feedback at Noon > RS 124 compressing max at about 5 dB.

Processing: from there I ran it through Aurora(n) > B32 with BX5 engaged, M7 Parallel (Large Wooden Room) > Coil 70s line level with Negative Feedback at Noon (70s are Octals BTW) > another B32 with BX5 engaged (dialed up to -.5 dB output) > Lynx Aurora(n).

That is a lot of tubes, transformers and negative feedback. Does the TG lose sparkle and is it to anyone's taste?

Guitar is again HD-28 > KM184s > Coil 70s > RS124s > Aurora(n) and was part of this summed output to the B32s and 70s.

Please take advantage of the downloadable 48/24 .wav(s) as SoundCloud is really not doing justice to the audio on this song:

https://soundcloud.com/junior-music-...t-tauren-wells

Vocal Stems:

https://soundcloud.com/junior-music-...wn-vocal-stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Interesting. Whether on guitars or vocals I just couldn't make friends with the 10k-ish emphasis on the TG. It wasn't as much of an issue for me on guitars but on my voice it was a no-go. For me anyway. On the guitars in the Floyd clip, I prefer the 67 for it's mellow, woody tone. The TG is a lot pointier on the leads, though I do kind of like it on the strumming. But I'm a 70s production junkie and, as noted, the TG is a very modern sounding mic. I didn't expect it to be as bright as it is, which is maybe kind of silly given the loads of air the REDD mic exhibits. I think maybe that's just the road Wade's ear tends to go down. All fine and good of course, lots of people love that modern, sort of glistening sound. Just wasn't a good fit for my sensibilities.

I will say though that the TG has a really cool, sort of liquid sounding midrange. Doesn't sound as fast or hard as a typical FET mic. And it's capable of a huge low end (as evidenced by those drum clips Chandler put out). It's a unique beast with a lot to offer and I'm sure many will dig it. I just couldn't make friends with the high mids/highs.

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 15th May 2019 at 10:51 PM..
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. I've now got plenty of shootouts to listen to, by this weekend! Chris
Old 16th May 2019
Here are some drums. REDD through line level BAE 1084 and TG set to the middle also through BAE flat. I had a spare half hour, apologies for the tempo difference but the mics were lined up 120 cm from the kick and snare. Hope you find it useful......
Attached Files

REDD DRUMS.wav (1.01 MB, 2453 views)

TG DRUMS.wav (926.1 KB, 2599 views)

Old 16th May 2019
I'm having trouble playing these files. Anyone else?
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Addict

REDD Drums and TG Drums are working for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I'm having trouble playing these files. Anyone else?
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
REDD Drums and TG Drums are working for me.
I got them now. Thanks Steven!
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

I might just chuck in an old 87 to create a contrast.

Any other suggestions?

Would be great if you threw in your Bock/Soundelux U99 for comparison
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

U99 is a fantastic microphone for crooners (I resemble that remark).

Did a little research and saw Paul's comment to the same effect elsewhere-great ear! I tried a ton of premium microphones, over time, and the U99 edges the top Neumann's still (or reissued) in production (on me). Thereby getting to this conclusion.

Bock 67 was comparable to the U99, BTW. So now the U99 is the "budget choice" in 67 style LDC's for me.

I do find the TG, however, as... (best Spock/Leonard Nimoy voice) "Fascinating".

Sit me in a corner with TG>UA710 and/or into a Silver Bullet, and I could happily mess around-ahem tweak-for hours!
Chris
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

TG System A > RS124 > CA-286 110 > Aurora(n) on all vocals, zero edits, these are raw teen vocals (oh yeah, like an idiot, I forgot to dial the mic's tape eq back from the cajon setting and to put up the pop filter! In my defense, working with teens is fun, and, while this group is wonderful, they are also a handful to keep fed and focused during a seven hour + session)

TG System A > RS124 > CA-70 > Aurora(n) on Cajon front only, again raw.
FWIW, Nord Piano 4 > Pueblo Audio JR4 > Aurora(n)

https://soundcloud.com/junior-music-.../your-promises

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 4 weeks ago at 11:35 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds good both, second a little faster ? Ima sample those drums lol jk, no but really. Edit - sorry didn’t notice you pointed out the tempo change .

Quote:
Here are some drums. REDD through line level BAE 1084 and TG set to the middle also through BAE flat. I had a spare half hour, apologies for the tempo difference but the mics were lined up 120 cm from the kick and snare. Hope you find it useful......

Last edited by bleep; 4 weeks ago at 05:28 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Does anyone know the specs of the wall wart psu please?
What voltage output and if it was DC or AC? What amps?

I have bought a TG in Oz which lacks the eu to au power adaptor. Even so I hate hanging a psu on those things its a dodgy connection. I'd rather pre-empt TG arrival and be ready with a suitable ac to dc power supply from Altronics or similar.
I cant find the TG psu (to the main PSU box) spec anywhere.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post

I have bought a TG in Oz which lacks the eu to au power adaptor. Even so I hate hanging a psu on those things its a dodgy connection. I'd rather pre-empt TG arrival and be ready with a suitable ac to dc power supply from Altronics or similar.
Hi, please PM me or email mick at mixmasters. What comes with the mic is very specific, substitutes with similar specs may not function properly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hey Ben, info on the power supply is in the manual:
https://chandlerlimited.com/wp-conte...ual_021419.pdf

Quote:

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleep View Post
Sounds good both, second a little faster ? Ima sample those drums lol jk, no but really. Edit - sorry didn’t notice you pointed out the tempo change .
Yeah sorry about that. I should use a metronome.

I love the dry classic sound of the TG as much as the brighter modern sound of the REDD.
The mic was in exactly the same spot but the hi hats sound less shimmery and metallic with the TG. The REDD sounds huge when you add an extra solid state pre like a Neve or the TG2.

Sample away.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Yeah I spoke to Mick and he informed me I'll need an eu to au adaptor. Not ideal so I was wondering the same thing.

My mic should arrive tomorrow.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambodia risen View Post
Hey Ben, info on the power supply is in the manual:
https://chandlerlimited.com/wp-conte...ual_021419.pdf
Thanks but it only talks about the input voltage.
It is a bit annoying they are cagey about the output voltage and amps.
Can someone please look at theirs and let the us know.

At the very least it may bring Chandler to realise this request will keep happening. If they think just another adapter upon an adapter is a professional solution in the studio then they are misguided IMO.

I actually think it is quite smart to have the psu as a replaceable external BUT the concept needs to be followed through with giving us the option of using something other than a Chandler adapter in countries where Chandler refuse to make one of their own to suite, without using another adapter on the adapter. Unless of coarse they have one of those clip in prong adapters that replaces the eu prong on the psu itself AND it was tight and reliable.

We all know how far out this puts the weight from the wall and even if you put it on an extension lead, the tightness of the eu to au adpters is bad and is not for profession use. Doesnt look good either.

If the voltage is something weird like say as an example (Nb this is NOT the spec I am guessing) 19.4v DC at 2amps then so be it. I'm sure I'll find one with exactly the same voltage (if that 0.4v is important, anyone?) and equal or more amps available.

Believe me if it requires a tech to make me one it would still be cheaper and faster than getting one custom fitted in the factory and delivered to Oz.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks but it only talks about the input voltage.
It is a bit annoying they are cagey about the output voltage and amps.
Can someone please look at theirs and let the us know.

At the very least it may bring Chandler to realise this request will keep happening. If they think just another adapter upon an adapter is a professional solution in the studio then they are misguided IMO.

I actually think it is quite smart to have the psu as a replaceable external BUT the concept needs to be followed through with giving us the option of using something other than a Chandler adapter in countries where Chandler refuse to make one of their own to suite, without using another adapter on the adapter. Unless of coarse they have one of those clip in prong adapters that replaces the eu prong on the psu itself AND it was tight and reliable.

We all know how far out this puts the weight from the wall and even if you put it on an extension lead, the tightness of the eu to au adpters is bad and is not for profession use. Doesnt look good either.

If the voltage is something weird like say as an example (Nb this is NOT the spec I am guessing) 19.4v DC at 2amps then so be it. I'm sure I'll find one with exactly the same voltage (if that 0.4v is important, anyone?) and equal or more amps available.

Believe me if it requires a tech to make me one it would still be cheaper and faster than getting one custom fitted in the factory and delivered to Oz.
Ben, while you might find something of the same spec, with the correct plug/prong type for your country, you may have issues and unexpected results. As mentioned prior, please PM me, email our support or Mick at mixmasters.

Last edited by adam_f; 4 weeks ago at 05:01 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Liking the TG Mic a lot. It's fairly fast and modern sounding. So far it sound best with a neve style preamp (using the Neve amp in Silver Bullet). Depending on the song different mics win the day. With this preamp the TG won a shoot out against the REDD and Manley Silver.

Chandler TG Mic-silver-redd-tg-shootout.jpg

Trying to get an album out the door. Then I can post more on these mics.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Liking the TG Mic a lot. It's fairly fast and modern sounding. So far it sound best with a neve style preamp (using the Neve amp in Silver Bullet). Depending on the song different mics win the day. With this preamp the TG won a shoot out against the REDD and Manley Silver.

These are the three most used mics in my studio as well. You can pretty much cover every base (or bass) with this trio.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Look forward to the album Doug.

Which settings did you use on the TG?

Quote:

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Look forward to the album Doug.

Which settings did you use on the TG?
We experimented with all the options (lots of permutations). But ended up on
"A1" - System A/EQ Position 1. Worked best on my daughter's voice.

TG Mic Cheat Sheet

System A – Saturation
System B – Clean

EQ
1) Bass Emphasis
2) Treble Emphasis
3) Flat
4) Bass & Treble Emphasis
5) Greater Bass & Treble Emphasis
Old 3 weeks ago
I was using the TG as a room mic with an RS124 to crush it a little. It was wonderful, very explosive and exciting. This mic is deep, I'm just getting further into it.....
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Mine arrived Monday. Just testing it now for the first time on vocals and acoustic guitar. So far so good. I can see the different setting being extremely useful.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Any other suggestions?
OVERHEADS!!!! Yeah, you know you want to do it Paul. Also, the 87 idea is good. Makes for a nice constant.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
TG Mic Cheat Sheet

System A – Saturation
System B – Clean

EQ
1) Bass Emphasis
2) Treble Emphasis
3) Flat
4) Bass & Treble Emphasis
5) Greater Bass & Treble Emphasis
IMO, that should be engraved on the back of the mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
OVERHEADS!!!! Yeah, you know you want to do it Paul. Also, the 87 idea is good. Makes for a nice constant.
I got rid of my pair of vintage 87's. We shot them out first though and the TG were more to my tastes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wow Paul, boy that's says A LOT about the TG.
U87i's are nothing to sneeze at (as you know)!
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search