The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler TG Mic Condenser Microphones
Old 17th April 2019
I have the TG arriving from Abbey Road for testing and I'm really excited. I loved the REDD and if they've hit the TG on target in a similar way I'll naturally buy 2 for my modern collection. I also have a Bock 407 coming so it'll be interesting with the REDD, the Horch RM2j2, the 67RI, the 251 and the TG. I'll track some OH and room drums and maybe guitar and vocals if I have time. I'm in the middle of mixing a project so I'll see how the mood takes me
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I have the TG arriving from Abbey Road for testing and I'm really excited. I loved the REDD and if they've hit the TG on target in a similar way I'll naturally buy 2 for my modern collection. I also have a Bock 407 coming so it'll be interesting with the REDD, the Horch RM2j2, the 67RI, the 251 and the TG. I'll track some OH and room drums and maybe guitar and vocals if I have time. I'm in the middle of mixing a project so I'll see how the mood takes me
Hey Paul ... weird coincidence. I was just reading through the REDD mic thread, which your comments are all over. Actually, I just got finished listening to some drum samples you posted there and thinking, Damn, that's a great sounding mic and a great sounding room. Some amazing compressors you've got in there too.

It would be awesome if you ended up posting some samples of the TG mic, at your own liberty of course. Cheers!
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

I’m debating selling a U87ai to fund a TG...
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I’m debating selling a U87ai to fund anything else...
Fixed your post, and I couldn't agree more. Great decision!

Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Fixed your post, and I couldn't agree more. Great decision!

Hahaha
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Addict

That would be epic. I have the TG, have had a Tele 251 but, keeping my fingers crossed hoping the shootout comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
One nit to pick, the shock mount is apparently proving a design challenge as there is a minor trick Adam provided to using it and, my nit, it is loose and the mic can slip, not out of the mount, but down, and that is not what I want during a take. Maybe an easy fix on my end but my only issue.
I just finally got mine today. You just open both clamps, slide the mic in from the bottom, and then close the clamps. When you close the clamps that's when it should tighten around the mic. Mine doesn't slip and is very secure.

Was just mentioning this because I saw your post prior to getting the mic and was curious.
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

One of my latches would routinely flip open after awhile. The mic didn’t slip but I wouldn’t have found that acceptable for the long haul.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Addict

From Adam:
“There’s a trick to getting the mic through the shockmount without tearing the felt. Push the latches in the opposite direction of closing, this will expand the rings wide enough to to slip the mic head through. You feel some tension as you push the latches backwards before they’ll collapse, just push enough before they collapse; the chandler logo is the front of the mic.”

The slipping has become more consistent with use. I am going to invert it on a Latch Lake for a session Saturday and the Tape Eq switch or a rubber band will be the stop.

The TG is a keeper, no worries with a minor annoyance. I’ve had maybe $70K in great mics over the past three years, most I resold within 90 days as there was something I did not like about the sound. Exceptions were T 251 and Flea 49 which were fantastic but, did one sound really, really well. The TG is excellent, bigger than life and the 10+ adjustments available on the mic make a noticeable difference and are all usable. For me, the TG is a grand slam.
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Played with the mic a bit yesterday (just talking through it). I like the EQ settings - they are obvious (not subtle) and seem very usable. I was afraid they might be too subtle. Not at all. I was surprised (in a good way) by the bass extension on the EQ settings that enhance the low end. Can get really warm.

The System A/B settings are also nice - not quit as obvious as the EQ, but still it imparts an easily decernable difference.

Changes to the sound from the settings here are in general more obvious then the setting changes on the REDD Mic. Would love to have this EQ tool on the REDD mic.

Taking the TG to Boston in early May to record a couple songs. Can’t wait to see how it does.

....More later
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi,
Please can someone post some high quality photos of the inside of the TG microphone back and front

thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hmm, Sony C-100 vs Chandler... Anyone have both?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Have a TG, sold my C100.

For me, no contest, TG won on sound and flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askomiko View Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Played with the mic a bit yesterday (just talking through it). I like the EQ settings - they are obvious (not subtle) and seem very usable. I was afraid they might be too subtle. Not at all. I was surprised (in a good way) by the bass extension on the EQ settings that enhance the low end. Can get really warm.

The System A/B settings are also nice - not quit as obvious as the EQ, but still it imparts an easily decernable difference.

Changes to the sound from the settings here are in general more obvious then the setting changes on the REDD Mic. Would love to have this EQ tool on the REDD mic.

Taking the TG to Boston in early May to record a couple songs. Can’t wait to see how it does.

....More later
It would be cool if you could post some vocal clips like in the REDD thread (I think you had your daughter record the vocals). It would be nice to compare to the REDD if possible (maybe even line them up and record the same take for each). Only if you feel like doing that, though. :P Totally up to you.
Old 4 weeks ago
I had one turn up today. I can't wait to hear it. It looks so cool and the wooden box is lovely. I'll grab my friend and see if we can shoot it out against a couple of nice mics.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by askomiko View Post
I do but I can't see how a Sony, modern, hi-fi mic would compare to a TG Abbey road, retro microphone.
Saying that, the REDD was similar to the C800G.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
It would be cool if you could post some vocal clips like in the REDD thread (I think you had your daughter record the vocals). It would be nice to compare to the REDD if possible (maybe even line them up and record the same take for each). Only if you feel like doing that, though. :P Totally up to you.
We'll see if we can post something. Won't be for a while as she is away at college thru mid-May.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

So Will I - Johanna Bush (age 14) TG Vocal, Lynx Aurora(n) 48-24 WAV, zero edits, downloadable
TG Mic: System A, Tape EQ Flat, Low Cut 50Hz
Preamp: Coil Audio CA-286 with 110 Input Transformer
Track is recorded parallel, split after CA-286, one track is TG Raw, the other is TG to RS 124 as labeled. Peak matched at -6 dB
3rd Track is a basic mix with Martin HD-28E via KM-184s XY to Coil CA-70s to RS124s with M7s on vocal and guitar

https://soundcloud.com/junior-music-...ill-i-tg-vocal

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 4 weeks ago at 09:33 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds excellent!
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Another acoustic/vocal mix, TG Mic sample: https://soundcloud.com/junior-music-...t-tauren-wells

Vocal = TG Mic, Coil 286, Chandler RS124, Bricasti M7 (Halls/Mechanics Hall), B32, Lynx Aurora(n) 48/24, Reaper 64
Guitar = Neumann 184s (XY), Coil 70, Chandler RS124, Bricasti M7 (Halls/Mechanics Hall), B32, Lynx Aurora(n), Reaper 64

A note on Johanna's vocal and general info:

As mentioned, Johanna is 14, sings with our team of talented teens to raise money for Mission Trips, this Summer to South Africa. We take suggested donations for mp3 songs at Church for $1. or a CD/mp3 set for $10.

We prefer that every recording can be duplicated in live events which means we do single takes after a few practice takes and not everything in the performance is meant to be perfect but, very genuine with a whole heart.

Although we won't use the TG mic live (substitute KMS 105 live), the mic is the only compromise we make for recordings vs our twice a year live events, sticking as close as possible to the exact gear setup. We sing two songs a month at Church using their basic FOH X32, and for the two and a half hour live events, haul everything in and out which is a pain but it all pays off in many $K to get our teens on mission fields.

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 3 weeks ago at 10:56 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
The Chandler is one of the best microphones I've heard, let alone in it's class. On vocals I put it up against a U87 (vintage) and a Brauner Phanthera to keep it in its price range and non valve condenser competitors. The U87 didn't stand a chance, it was so mellow. The Brauner was closer to the TG but was a one trick pony.
As soon as we switched through the programs on the TG it just smoked the competition. Amazing stuff. I'm gonna try it on drums next but it's such a lovely huge sound I suspect it'll sound wonderful on drums too.
I believe if you have the money it's the best all round fet condenser you can buy and will be for a while.....

Last edited by Paul_G; 2 weeks ago at 10:42 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
As mentioned, Johanna is 14, sings with our team of talented teens to raise money for Mission Trips, this Summer to South Africa. We take suggested donations for mp3 songs at Church for $1. or a CD/mp3 set for $10.
Steve, I love this model of fundraising and kids involvement.
Old 2 weeks ago
I've got one on order. Looking forward to it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I like this review from Recording Mag. https://recordingmag.com/resources/f...tg-microphone/

One of the most interesting things the reviewer says is:

The TG mic is very much the opposite of the REDD Mic, which (after two years of constant studio use) I would call big, open, full, 3-dimensional, and sparkly, a mic that has a huge soundstage and holds its tone and depth even at great distances. In contrast, the TG Mic punches nicely and unapologetically up the middle and can be chilled out or harmonically excited from there.

I wonder what you guys think. Certainly makes sense given that the REDD mic is so extended and has the preamp built into the mic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I like this review from Recording Mag. https://recordingmag.com/resources/f...tg-microphone/

One of the most interesting things the reviewer says is:

The TG mic is very much the opposite of the REDD Mic, which (after two years of constant studio use) I would call big, open, full, 3-dimensional, and sparkly, a mic that has a huge soundstage and holds its tone and depth even at great distances. In contrast, the TG Mic punches nicely and unapologetically up the middle and can be chilled out or harmonically excited from there.

I wonder what you guys think. Certainly makes sense given that the REDD mic is so extended and has the preamp built into the mic.
It certainly has some truth to it but it's not entirely accurate. They are not polar opposites. This is to strike up journo controversy. Create an angle.
Weirdly, in some ways it sounds bigger and is probably the microphone Chandler users may have wanted and expected first. It has it's own sparkle and when I put it against a Brauner and a vintage U87, it stomped all over them with a beautiful low, thick clarity and a great non sibilant top mid. It doesn't feel airy or scooped, he's right in saying it's a modern workhorse. It's a heavy hitter and with all the options and all the various choices of tone paired with different pre amps I think it's more fun.
It doesn't sound like a fet mic at all. It's weird how tube like it sounds, I didn't expect it to sound so good. In contrast the PSU is cute too.
This will win back the cynics. And at that price, it's set to stun.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Sounds great in all the clips. Very tempted.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

(I'm super excited about my first gearslutz post I've been reading this forum for ages and I finally gathered the courage to post my first silly question here)

Are there more vocals-only clips with different tape eq-programs? This sounds like a superb mic to travel with for songwriting sessions.
Old 2 weeks ago
@ Paul_G I'm glad to get your perspective on this particular mic. I've been on the hunt for a serious workhorse mic for home tracking for quite a while, primarily for tracking saxophones for remote sessions. I'd use it for occasional vocal work, as well. The TG is creeping to the top of the list largely because of anecdotes like yours. It seems like the price-to-results ratio is the best around at the moment. (The other contenders have been a used u87 and a new Gefell UMT70s... and I'm sure I'd be happy with either of those, I've recorded with both plenty... but the Chandler is enticing me enough that I want to buy one just to try it.)

On a side note I'm curious if you know my good buddy in London, the pianist Bill Laurance, I seem to recall he may have some stuff with Morcheeba a decade or so ago. I've done a bunch of records and tours with that dude, he's a beast. But that's way off topic! Have you used the TG on horns yet, by any chance?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
@ Paul_G I'm glad to get your perspective on this particular mic. I've been on the hunt for a serious workhorse mic for home tracking for quite a while, primarily for tracking saxophones for remote sessions. I'd use it for occasional vocal work, as well. The TG is creeping to the top of the list largely because of anecdotes like yours. It seems like the price-to-results ratio is the best around at the moment. (The other contenders have been a used u87 and a new Gefell UMT70s... and I'm sure I'd be happy with either of those, I've recorded with both plenty... but the Chandler is enticing me enough that I want to buy one just to try it.)

On a side note I'm curious if you know my good buddy in London, the pianist Bill Laurance, I seem to recall he may have some stuff with Morcheeba a decade or so ago. I've done a bunch of records and tours with that dude, he's a beast. But that's way off topic! Have you used the TG on horns yet, by any chance?
I was actually planning to try it out on tenor sax towards the end of the month. My dad plays and we wanted to do a mic shootout for our own curiosity to see what works best for him. I'll post some clips if any of them come out useful for a shootout. He's a very improvisational player, so I'm not sure I'll manage to capture him playing the same thing twice for direct comparison purposes, but we should get a good general idea.

Also planning to try out the REDD.47 preamp and RS124 on his sax.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
I was actually planning to try it out on tenor sax towards the end of the month. My dad plays and we wanted to do a mic shootout for our own curiosity to see what works best for him. I'll post some clips if any of them come out useful for a shootout. He's a very improvisational player, so I'm not sure I'll manage to capture him playing the same thing twice for direct comparison purposes, but we should get a good general idea.

Also planning to try out the REDD.47 preamp and RS124 on his sax.
If you have two preamps, just set up the two mics, one above hanging upside down, and the other below, upright. This way, you can record the same take to two tracks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search