The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chandler TG Mic
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucklehound View Post
This mic sounds great on OH, EG, AG - wouldn't be my first choice for vocals.
I JUST got around to ordering my TG mic after numerous setbacks. I’m excited!

Troubling to hear that you don’t like using it on most vocals... I figured with all the tonal options, it would work well for vocals in a busy studio with many clients and not much time to switch mics between sessions.

Worst case scenario, I’ll sent it back. I probably won’t though... I’ve never met a Chandler product I didn’t like.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've used it on 4 different vocalists this last week, both male and female that have been all over the place. It's been acoustic/folk kind of stuff, so I'm gravitated towards Setting 1 since it's a bit warmer. On one of the singers, I set it to Setting 5 (I already posted clips of that one earlier in here). I've yet to have to do any significant EQ'ing other than a little bit of high pass, and I've only had to do some de-essing on one of them (I didn't even technically de-ess that one, I pulled up a multi band compressor and just did a little bit of ~ 1dB compression in the 5k region).

It's been a pretty solid vocal mic so far and it's the least amount of work I've had to do on vocals come mix time. I probably could have gotten away without compressing them at all and just done a little automation. I know a lot of people are complaining about it being a bright mic (and it is), I'm wondering if they just tried running it flat in the track or immediately started boosting the crap out of the high frequencies like you normally do on a vocal mic? I'm guilty as well as I have a lot of flatter/darker mic's, so my first inclination is to go into my routine and boost high end come mix time. Again, it's worked surprisingly well for me when I just leave it alone and turn up the fader.

I know before I got the mic, I was watching some youtube videos of a female singer shooting it out with a few different mic's (I think she was hispanic or South American?). She sounded pretty good on the unprocessed clips, but when she was played in context of the song and mixed, it was almost unlistenable (In my opinion) as they had just made it SO freaking bright. My first thought was "Why? Just leave it alone!", that's been my experience first hand as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

From the hundreds of posts I've read about this mic, it seems like the folks who don't like it on vocals are outliers, not the norm. Not saying they're wrong, at all, just that the response to the TG seems to be overwhelmingly positive so far on pretty much any source. I'm planning on ordering one within the next couple months, I don't know anyone in Austin who has one yet and I figure it'll only be an asset!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post

Troubling to hear that you don’t like using it on most vocals... I figured with all the tonal options, it would work well for vocals in a busy studio with many clients and not much time to switch mics between sessions.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As someone who has been through a good number of vocal mics and prefer the TG, I am curious which mics are your first choices for vocals.

I have always paired it with Coil Audio 286 and adjust negative feedback to taste.

Some of my past mics used on vocals: Blue Kiwi, Miktek CV-4, Blue Cactus, Pearlman 47 and 250, Flea 12, Flea 49, Neumann 89, AEA KU4, AEA ACE, Coles 4038, Tele ELAM 251 E, Sony C-100, Earthworks SV-33, AEA KU5A...

Quote:

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 3 weeks ago at 10:27 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post

Worst case scenario, I’ll sent it back. I probably won’t though... I’ve never met a Chandler product I didn’t like.
This is the first "bright" mic I've bought for my studio here (I've only been out here for less than 3 years, I've worked with pretty much everything under the sun in the past). I've been thinking about buying something that was more on the "C12" side of the spectrum just to fill the void in my mic locker and have some versatile options from time to time. Almost every Chandler product I've worked with I have loved to death (the only exception was their guitar amp, and that was simply preference. It was a great amp but not something I would play, simple as that), so I was willing to take the risk. I was FULLY ready to just send it back if it was a boring mic with a TG circuit and some built in EQ options. It was pretty apparent within a few minutes of plugging it in that that wasn't the case.

It's still a bit of a fight for me at times getting used to how bright it can be, but I'm getting over it and becoming more comfortable with it. Once I get it deeper into a mix and hear it with some context, it's worked really well so far. I've really had to fight myself from EQ'ing it, I just feel weird leaving it flat and having it work at times. I had a similar experience when I got my 1930's RCA ribbon mic, it does NOT like to be EQ'ed to death. You have to have the right singer or place it correctly at the source or else it's the wrong choice, you can't EQ the crap out of it like most mic's. Although I take the same approach with the Chandler, on the other hand you do have a lot of options to sculpt it in post if need be. The IPS settings have just worked a lot better and work as advertised.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by patheticus View Post
I haven't compared them directly yet but I have a lot of experience with both. But the TG mic is waaaay more versatile. And I'm not talking about having different settings. Even just set flat in System A it sounds amazing on way more sources than the Ref C. The Ref C, to me, is perfect on about one in every 30 singers. And not great on instruments or even drum room mics. When it's awesome on vocals, it's awesome, but when it's not, it's a major bummer. So far the TG is always awesome, on every source I've put in front of it.
How do you like it on vocals compared to your usual suspects like 251 etc.?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
it seems like the folks who don't like it on vocals are outliers, not the norm.
I'm one of those folks, and I must admit, I'm baffled to be honest.

I suppose one day I'll buy one - or a pair - and figure out for myself what everyone is seeing (hearing), but from the clips (including chandlers), it's not something that really makes me want to rush out and buy one/two. In many of the clips, the Neumann's sound broken in comparison, and since I KNOW how those mics sound from personal experience, it makes me dubious of the comparisons (if not the mic). But it certainly has its champions, and that's what leaves me in doubt.

The TG still sounds scooped and bright to me. (In online comparisons)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I've been wearing hd600s when singing with the the tg, but the other day I put on some ath m50xs and it freaked me out. I felt like the mic was broken it sounded so shrill. Tracks sounded normal through the monitors though. Be wary of headphones that hype the 10k region as there's already plenty of that coming from the mic. Not too bright imo. Just right. And don't forget about system b if it's sounding a little too edgy for you. So far my fav vocal mic I've ever used. I cant wait to get a ca-70 into the studio, I imagine that combo would be amazing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbacker View Post
I cant wait to get a ca-70 into the studio, I imagine that combo would be amazing.
Well, I can attest to the CA-70's being able to knock some serious edge off a mic. I suspect it would work wonderfully in that respect with the TG if that's what you're after.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbacker View Post
I've been wearing hd600s when singing with the the tg, but the other day I put on some ath m50xs and it freaked me out. I felt like the mic was broken it sounded so shrill. Tracks sounded normal through the monitors though. Be wary of headphones that hype the 10k region as there's already plenty of that coming from the mic. Not too bright imo. Just right. And don't forget about system b if it's sounding a little too edgy for you. So far my fav vocal mic I've ever used. I cant wait to get a ca-70 into the studio, I imagine that combo would be amazing.
I had the same experience with my Shure 940's and the TG mic. It sounds fine through a few pairs of nicer Beyer cans, also sounds fine through cheap Shure 240's and even the 840's. Kind of off topic, but I REALLY wish Shure would come out with a pair of cans with the 240 drivers in a nicer fitting headset and a single cable coming out of one side. They really are great tracking headphones and really cheap... I know the 440's are technically the "in between" and fit into that ideal category, but I never really cared for them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
The TG still sounds scooped and bright to me. (In online comparisons)
I think I'm there with you by just basing my opinion off the examples I've heard. I think I'd have to get one in to try it out myself with all the different settings it has .... There's something about maybe the transformer saturating in System A on vocals that I'm uncertain about too. But then again, the examples still don't sound as good for a vocal as the REDD mic does to me. The high end on the REDD sounds so rich and smooth, and the mids and bass so full and tangible. It seems to me the only big difficulty with the REDD is probably its generous pickup pattern, meaning the room and the singer's level of technique is either working very well for you or strongly against you.

Drums and other instruments are a different story from what I've heard.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Any AKG 240 love, when listening to a bright-ish mic like the TG?
I've got DF's & the lesser Studio 240's FWIW
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
As someone who has been through a good number of vocal mics and prefer the TG, I am curious which mics are your first choices for vocals.

I have always paired it with Coil Audio 286 and adjust negative feedback to taste.

Some of my past mics used on vocals: Blue Kiwi, Miktek CV-4. Pearlman 47 and 250, Flea 12, Flea 49, Neumann 89, AEA KU4, AEA ACE, Coles 4038, Tele ELAM 251 E, Sony C-100, AEA KU5A...
Well that's a wide range, so that goes to show.

I Love mine, I'll do some shootouts when I'm done with this big project I'm winding up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I Love mine, I'll do some shootouts when I'm done with this big project I'm winding up.
Look forward to that Paul!
Old 3 weeks ago
MYN
Gear Addict

My TG arrived on Thursday afternoon and I had it up in the booth on Friday. As previously mentioned, it's definitely very quiet and punches right up the middle as advertised with a lot of overall power. It's also pretty crispy, but I'm finding that if I greatly lower the threshold on my de-esser, I can get a sound I really like a lot for my voice. Especially for the kind of softer-spoken narration work that has become a lot more popular lately. I recorded the sample below as I was setting it up and felt comfortable enough with it that after some more subtle de-essing, I used the TG later in the day on a soft-spoken, nature themed TV commercial booking. I'll probably continue to tweak the high end with some EQ to get it exactly where I want it, but overall I'm really liking how the TG will fit into my arsenal of work tools.
Attached Files

TG PSA 1.mp3 (560.0 KB, 1127 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN View Post
My TG arrived on Thursday afternoon and I had it up in the booth on Friday. As previously mentioned, it's definitely very quiet and punches right up the middle as advertised with a lot of overall power. It's also pretty crispy, but I'm finding that if I greatly lower the threshold on my de-esser, I can get a sound I really like a lot for my voice. Especially for the kind of softer-spoken narration work that has become a lot more popular lately. I recorded the sample below as I was setting it up and felt comfortable enough with it that after some more subtle de-essing, I used the TG later in the day on a soft-spoken, nature themed TV commercial booking. I'll probably continue to tweak the high end with some EQ to get it exactly where I want it, but overall I'm really liking how the TG will fit into my arsenal of work tools.
Monkey bawlz!

Sounds great, glad you're liking it!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don’t think there’s any great mystery about those of us who don’t love it on vocals. It’s a very bright mic. Those are polarizing.

If you have a voice with subdued esses or that struggles with lack of presence, the TG could be a great fit.

If you’ve got a sort of normal-ish ess situation, it could still give good results with smart use of de-essing/multiband compression.

If you’ve got a bright voice, look elsewhere.

One thing to note is that the high mids on the TG don’t sound *bad* at all, they’re just loud. It’s a pushed region. But it more or less has a nice quality to it so if you’re fine with some significant de-essing/sculpting it may still work as an all-around mic. It’s just a pretty distinctively scooped footprint with a unique texture.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The “mystery” for me are the descriptions of the TG as bright and/or scooped and/or sibilant. I wouldn’t apply these descriptions to a Tele 251 E either; the TG sounds better than my much beloved, sold 251.

With a Coil Audio preamp, the TG is the most true to life mic I have heard. My description is stunning realism. Presence, yes and that is what I need for vocals. A description of pushed/ present I can understand however, presence is dependent on setting. System B backs presence down to realism.

I am also really enjoying running it through a Retro 176 which adds a nice edge. I do not use EQ. I may someday, just prefer to find gear and placement I like.

I have posted plenty of raw vocals, this is a mix. All vocals are TG, if too bright, scooped or sibilant, differing preferences or monitoring are the root cause. FWIW, and perhaps telltale regarding my taste, the mics on the Martin HD-28s are Neumann 184s in XY and I love them through Coil 286s against common GS opinion that 184s are too bright. There are issues with the guitar recording as my lead guitarist for this session played so softly I was forced to add enough gain on the 286s that you can hear breathing, chair creaking, change shifting in his pocket... Great player, he was managing dynamics on his own, we’ll work on that next time. As always for me, no plugs, vocals and instruments are all single takes. I do this to promote better live performance as my songs are all sung live at Church. As a side note the bass is direct to ZOD ID DI > Coil Audio 70. Bricasti M7, Vienna Hall is my current go-to reverb.

I seek continuous improvement in my chain and skills; please link your examples of better mics, better pres, better compressors with no plugs, no de-essing, no eq.

https://soundcloud.com/junior-music-...g-raw-48-24-v1

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 3 weeks ago at 05:25 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:

Some of my past mics used on vocals: Blue Kiwi, Miktek CV-4. Pearlman 47 and 250, Flea 12, Flea 49, Neumann 89, AEA KU4, AEA ACE, Coles 4038, Tele ELAM 251 E, Sony C-100, Earthworks SV-33, AEA KU5A...
You preferred the TG on vocals over all of those mics? Good for you. You’re gonna save a lot of money.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't know about saving money.

Each of those mics was purchased, used in my studio for 3 to 36 months and resold. The 49 was the hardest to let go, followed by the 251.

I may still consider other mics but, not until I can't get what I want from the TG or, as these things go, I just want another mic. I went into the TG purchase thinking I would add an Upton 251, and I still may, along with a Burg etc however, I may indeed save some money on mics, add the VT-7 I need and more Coil 286s.

Quote:
You preferred the TG on vocals over all of those mics? Good for you. You’re gonna save a lot of money.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Again, when I sang/tried the TG, I was astounded that the top end could be SO clear-with any added sibilance (on me).
IMHO after reflection, I think the number one quality of the top end is clarity. I can understand that a voice with a strong 10KHz area, might need further processing.

Thankfully, my sibilance issue is lower (6500 Hertz). My guess is that most other male singers gravitate around this area.
I agree with Paul G, that the 251 is somewhat brighter, than the TG. Also that a quality C12 capsule is mellow/smooth, versus most modern offerings (Warm anyone?).
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
The “mystery” for me are the descriptions of the TG as bright and/or scooped and/or sibilant.
I think you may be taking this to personally. We are not all looking for the same sound. We don't all have the same mic collections. We're not all using the same mic pre's. We're not all recording the same talent. A difference of opinions is inevitable. No offense meant, and there should (hopefully) be no offense taken.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A difference of opinions is inevitable. No offense meant, and there should (hopefully) be no offense taken.
Exactly. I don't think anyone in here should have to defend their opinion either if they didn't like the mic. I've hated U87's for years and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would use one on anything or spend even more for a vintage one. There's plenty of people that think I'm crazy and they probably aren't wrong!

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am not taking anything said here personally, and know very well that mics may complement some voices and bring out the worst on other voices, there are differing genres, styles etc. Ie. the KU4 was so sibilant on my voice, I reached out to AEA wondering if it was damaged. It wasn’t.

That being said, the KU4 does not have multiple settings.

I do disagree about the TG being a bright and/or scooped mic.

I have provided examples and requested examples and have made an effort to provide helpful information and samples to the community to aid others in decision making.

If there are mics you like better, post raw samples so the community benefits from your personal experience. Any genre, male, female, just something more than words.

Dr. Bill, I respect you and your work, thank you for a very kindly worded response.

Enough said, moving on and thanks to all who have reached out.

Quote:
I think you may be taking this to personally. We are not all looking for the same sound. We don't all have the same mic collections. We're not all using the same mic pre's. We're not all recording the same talent. A difference of opinions is inevitable. No offense meant, and there should (hopefully) be no offense taken.

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 3 weeks ago at 12:35 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I am not taking anything said here personally, and know very well that mics may complement some voices and bring out the worst on other voices, there are differing genres, styles etc. Ie. the KU4 was so sibilant on my voice, I reached out to AEA wondering if it was damaged. It wasn’t.

That being said, the KU4 does not have multiple settings.

I do disagree about the TG being a bright and/or scooped mic.

I have provided examples and requested examples and have made an effort to provide helpful information and samples to the community to aid others in decision making.

If there are mics you like better, post raw samples so the community benefits from your personal experience. Any genre, male, female, just something more than words.
Touchy
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Several people have posted samples. Including some who found the mic to be bright.

Based upon the clips you and others have shared, it does indeed sound bright. I'm not sure what's so incendiary about that claim, btw — a 251 is a bright mic. So is a C800G. So are many Brauners and Manleys. All of these are fantastic microphones that happen to have a bit more HMF/HF presence than, let's say, a vintage U67 or C-37A. The term "bright" is not necessarily an insult.

No one really seems to be bashing the TG, as is common practice on this forum (see: any thread about the TLM 103). Some have pointed out that the brighter tonality doesn't work for their desired aesthetic. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't see the issue.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Your description is excellent, appreciate the specifics that deliver helpful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Several people have posted samples. Including some who found the mic to be bright.

Based upon the clips you and others have shared, it does indeed sound bright. I'm not sure what's so incendiary about that claim, btw — a 251 is a bright mic. So is a C800G. So are many Brauners and Manleys. All of these are fantastic microphones that happen to have a bit more HMF/HF presence than, let's say, a vintage U67 or C-37A. The term "bright" is not necessarily an insult.

No one really seems to be bashing the TG, as is common practice on this forum (see: any thread about the TLM 103). Some have pointed out that the brighter tonality doesn't work for their desired aesthetic. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't see the issue.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I think Ragan's posted clips point out the brightness of the TG as compared to his 67 Clone. Those particular clips were quite telling to me. They confirmed what I was suspecting - the TG is a bright mic (from what I've been able to discern from clips, which, IMO are a somewhat failed way to judge mics).

And I completely agree with tkaitkai that being BRIGHT is not necessarily an insult. (Although with some mics, I could definitely see that...) Although my generalized personal preferences lie more in a more mellow and less scooped / modern delivery than the TG (Vintage Gefell's and Neumann's come to mind), right now I myself am in the market for a brighter pair of mics for vocals and overheads - and the REDD, TG and Uptown 251's are leading the charge in that application - hence my continued interest in the TG topic..... Who will win?? I don't have a clue. That's the excitement and fun of the hunt.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My immediate temptation with a "bright-ish" mic is to run it through a "thick" mic pre ala 1073 style or UA. FWIW I have been impressed with Shadow V's
(Vincent R.) vocal processing of his U87ai, into a Demeter tube pre. Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

TG is a bright Mic. I'm happy with mine, and find it to be a versatile addition to my collection.

It's not always my go to for vocals, but sometimes it works well on a vocal.

It is what it is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search