The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrade from Prism Orpheus
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebloveless View Post
I actually just bought a UAD x8. Ha!

I'm sure the converters are not as nice, but honestly, when I plugged it in I was surprised how good it sounds. Good enough for me. (I switched to UAD mostly because of work flow with my production partner). I also looked at Metric Halo, which I probably would have bought if not for my partner.

Funny.. I'm seriously considering their X16.. Kinda scared since I've been working with Prism for so long.
Might have to give it a demo.

I use a lot of UAD too so it would make a lot of sense.. We'll see.
Please let me know how you get on once you've spent a bit of time with the unit!

Cheers
Old 7th May 2019
mrc
Lives for gear
I very much doubt that the apollo will sound as good as the prism. At one point i had an 8p and a symphony mk1. For me, the apogee sounded much tighter in the lower octaves. On the other hand, the included plugins sounded pretty damn good on that thing.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFace View Post
Funny.. I'm seriously considering their X16.. Kinda scared since I've been working with Prism for so long.
Might have to give it a demo.

I use a lot of UAD too so it would make a lot of sense.. We'll see.
Please let me know how you get on once you've spent a bit of time with the unit!

Cheers
The thunderbolt speed alone on the UAD products is a game changer if you are using older prism gear. Regardless of what you pick the UAD interface is on par with virtually anything out there. The plugins also make it a very creative space to work in. Prism is great quality, but again, I found the UAD platform to be quite competitive.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason kalman View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyW7DnAOe-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZsJCRcyxI

You might want to listen to these shootouts to hear that there really isn't much of a difference between the first gen Apollos vs the new ones at least sound wise. I do realize the sound is coming from youtube at 1080p. A real world sound test in the studio might be able to hear a more discernible difference but is it worth the extra $$ not sure? I'm happy with my silver face apollo. I think the emphasis on having the latest conversion technology may be a bit overrated, when compared to other parts of the recording chain. Once you have a professional interface, like the Orpheus, the difference will be subtle or barely noticeable. If however, you want the added DSP to run more UAD plugs or TB3 which is amazing for low latency, that may be a better reason to upgrade.

UA has been releasing a new interface every 3 years or so and quite frankly, I don't understand why. This is the first shootout I've heard and I'm glad I did, because I was ready to buy into the idea that the newest converters would make a huge difference, when in actuality they don't.

With regards to other brands, Lynx, Apogee, Antelope, etc., they all have amazing converters. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I just think, better room treatment, monitors, headphones, mixing ability (at least for me) will go a lot further than upgrading your converters. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic and the professionals all seem to agree that converters aren't the most important part of the chain if you already have professional converters.

I don’t have any need to upgrade from a sonic standpoint. It is simply that the Prism isn’t supported on my rig anymore and the latency/clicks etc are unbearable and slowing me down.
This is for a mix rig in a treated room with great monitors - hence me relying on the benchmark that the Prism has provided me with for years.

Gonna try the X16 and the Aurora n and see if they are compraible. If not I may have to just go Titan.
Would love that tb3 speed though!
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
...Prism is great quality, but again, I found the UAD platform to be quite competitive.
my experience is somewhat different: when using adda conversion on lots of channels (64 and above), i found some older designs from prism, euphonix and studer to perform much better than newer designs from various manufacturers, at least to my ears.

can't tell anything about plug ins as i'm mixing on desks...
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
my experience is somewhat different: when using adda conversion on lots of channels (64 and above), i found some older designs from prism, euphonix and studer to perform much better than newer designs from various manufacturers, at least to my ears.

can't tell anything about plug ins as i'm mixing on desks...
If the system works why change it. I didn't have a problem sound wise with my orpehus but the I/O was terrible for speeds. It has clicks and some issues that were minor but I've never had that with the Apollo. I can actually use my hardware interchangeably with the thunderbolt speeds. That was a great upgrade for my workflow. Prism's price point is most likely not economical for some studios at 16-32 plus channels. Lots of great options out there currently.
Old 7th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFace View Post
I don’t have any need to upgrade from a sonic standpoint. It is simply that the Prism isn’t supported on my rig anymore and the latency/clicks etc are unbearable and slowing me down.
This is for a mix rig in a treated room with great monitors - hence me relying on the benchmark that the Prism has provided me with for years.

Gonna try the X16 and the Aurora n and see if they are compraible. If not I may have to just go Titan.
Would love that tb3 speed though!
You can't go wrong with a UA Apollo x16. I just don't think the conversion will be much of a noticeable upgrade, not sure if you watched the video comparisons I had in my first post. I certainly could not hear a huge difference. The true benefit will be the TB3 and added DSP to run UAD plugs which sound amazing. I use them all the time. Good luck if you go that route!
Old 8th May 2019
Here for the gear

The Lynx Hilo is a very good AD/DA. Have one, love it. But, the drivers are no the best in the market, in PC sometimes I have issues with random hangs, and glitch sound. If yo want super solid drivers for both PC and MAC RME is the way to go. At this point in my studio if u need to produce or rec I have a Babyface PRO, and connect it to the Hilo via ADAT to feed my monitors. Also my Pres are connected to the HILO and then send to the Bbyface (the converters on the Hilo are superb!).
With this combination have the best converters I can afford with the best drivers (in my opinion) on the market.
Apollo drivers are solid too, but RME wins in this area.

Cheers

r
Old 9th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
Good chance the is problem probably with your computer. How are you connecting the Orpheus? If over USB, try a more reliable method such as a PCI-E card with AES and SPDIF outputs. Be sure to adjust buffers correctly in drivers and your DAW. Set process priority correctly in your OS. There is way more that can go wrong on your end than with the manufacturer’s products and drivers. These high-end products are not Focusrites.

Alternatives to Prism Sound such as Lavry and Dangerous Music will just sound different. Lynx and RME make more reliable interfaces but sound worse.
Recently we had to update our AD conversions because one of our Prism died (the firewire port did not react on anything anymore). After a quick search and comparison lync aurora n, Merging Horus with the new RME m32 ad pro, we decided for the RME. In addition we got a MADIface pro as a back up recording interface (the m32 ad pro has two power supplies and is able to stream the audio independent through AVB and MADI). I can assure you, that the RME converters (at least the latest generation that I have experience on) sounds fantastic and for sure not worse than the Prisms. Plus it is completely trouble- and stress free (which is life and mind saving in big productions) because of the great drivers and TotalMix.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
To tell you the truth, new Apollos X sound much better than current Prism lineup (Lyra, Titan) and I tested them all, they are also much better in all the specs (dynamic range, THD+N). And if you also consider their usefullness and stability I wouldn't think twice and choose new Apollo anyday.
I’d be shocked if the new Apollos sounded even as good as the Titan, Atlas, or Lyra. I’ll be shooting a Titan out with a new Apollo on Fri and will report back.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywsef View Post
I’d be shocked if the new Apollos sounded even as good as the Titan, Atlas, or Lyra. I’ll be shooting a Titan out with a new Apollo on Fri and will report back.
I would like to see what you think, looking forward to it.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Overall, no matter if you’re using Prism Titan, UAD new Apollo, Mytek 8 192, Apogee Symphony, Antelop Orion, or anything in this class; if you can’t get great work done, it ain’t the interface that’s the problem. None are better, just different flavors.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
How did you get on with this? I visited the UA booth at Superbooth yesterday and was eyeing up that X16..
Old 12th May 2019
Old 12th May 2019
Here for the gear

Hello You All,

I'm not entirely in the same boat, so forgive if this is too much out of topic.

I'm also looking for a solution for the future for my 2 Orphei;
very happy with the sound (recording multi-track & summing into X-Rack),
not so happy with the 2 Prisms not allowing other stuff on the firewire-bus (not possible to use my UAD-2 Satellite Quad Firewire at the same time...).

So my question: have people looked into the solution to use the Orpheus in stand-alone mode (adat in-out), and if so, what would be a great addition to them?
At the moment the best option I've found seems to be RME Fireface UFX+ with the two ADAT-in/outs?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olangerie View Post
Hello You All,

I'm not entirely in the same boat, so forgive if this is too much out of topic.

I'm also looking for a solution for the future for my 2 Orphei;
very happy with the sound (recording multi-track & summing into X-Rack),
not so happy with the 2 Prisms not allowing other stuff on the firewire-bus (not possible to use my UAD-2 Satellite Quad Firewire at the same time...).

So my question: have people looked into the solution to use the Orpheus in stand-alone mode (adat in-out), and if so, what would be a great addition to them?
At the moment the best option I've found seems to be RME Fireface UFX+ with the two ADAT-in/outs?

Thanks for your advice.
Have you looked at RME digiface?
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Guru

It’s just beyond me that, to me, the obvious choice goes unnoticed. Metric Halo ULN-8 3D or for the two channel solution the ULN-2 3D. I mean I think it’s clearly head and tails above. But you know. Whatever.

That’s all. I’ll recede again.
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac

The problem with using Orpheus in standalone mode is that there is latency on the lightpipe. There shouldn’t be, but there is. I switched to Titan and then went hdx and my rig works beautifully and sounds amazing, but of course it was a switch. What kind of computer are you using? If it’s a tower of some sort the easiest thing is a pcie FireWire card just for the Orpheus and then the motherboard fw bus can be used for other things. That’s what I did when I had my Orpheus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestions; RME-Digiface might be an option, Metric Halo if I wanne replace the Orpheus...

Latency when in standalone mode is not so nice, though!
I'm gonna try it out and measure it, tomorrow.

I'm on a MacBook Pro 2013. I tried to put one of the fire-wire-devices on the thunderbolt-port, but no luck there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Upgrade to Atlas is a good solution.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I found this quite interesting, what did you think? I thought one had more depth and low end and the other had better clarity on the high range.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
...What kind of computer are you using? If it’s a tower of some sort the easiest thing is a pcie FireWire card just for the Orpheus and then the motherboard fw bus can be used for other things. That’s what I did when I had my Orpheus.
This makes me think; would an external PCIe card extension system (like Sonnettech Echo Express SE III) connected to a MacBook Pro by the thunderbolt-port effectively taking the load of the firewire-bus?

I'm asking this because I would prefer to keep my rig mobile, and because the thunderbolt to Firewire-adapter nor the FireWire Expresscard/34 didn't do the trick (Orpheus continued to react buggy when connecting other stuff to the firewire-port...)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This makes me think; would an external PCIe card extension system (like Sonnettech Echo Express SE III) connected to a MacBook Pro by the thunderbolt-port effectively taking the load of the firewire-bus?

I'm asking this because I would prefer to keep my rig mobile, and because the thunderbolt to Firewire-adapter nor the FireWire Expresscard/34 didn't do the trick (Orpheus continued to react buggy when connecting other stuff to the firewire-port...)
That would work because you’re using a different bus for the Orpheus than for the motherboard fw connected devices. But that seems like an expensive work around. I don’t remember- do you already own the Orpheus? I would sell it and upgrade to a titan before I bought a pcie extension chassis. The titan is a remarkable box.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestions;

Atlas and/or Titan could be the next step in upgrading,
but as for now I'm looking for options to keep my setup mobile with the two Orphei
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions; RME-Digiface might be an option, Metric Halo if I wanne replace the Orpheus...

Latency when in standalone mode is not so nice, though!
I'm gonna try it out and measure it, tomorrow.

I'm on a MacBook Pro 2013. I tried to put one of the fire-wire-devices on the thunderbolt-port, but no luck there.
keep in mind the Metric Halo is no longer FireWire. It’s Ethernet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search