The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U474 A - Danner Module
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Neumann U474 A - Danner Module

Hi guys,

My boss picked up one of these today, basically got it for free.
I'm wondering if it's worth investing some cash in getting it wired up as mic (or line) pre?

I know danner cassettes are usually very well regarded, but i cant find any info on this particular model. Is it any good?

How easy would it be to DIY a rack to power this and attach some XLR connectors?
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Bump!
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Haven’t used this particular piece...

It’s a talkback module, but the spec says that it’s a linear frequency response and that it’s able to be wired for low frequency roll off or not. It looks like it has a limiter built in, but skimming through the docs themselves I don’t see that there is a stock way to disengage the limiter (maybe I missed it).

It really shouldn’t be too hard to wire up in a kind of cheap/ad-hoc way, because you just need to get the right connector and a 24v supply. You can wire XLR leads right off the danner module connector... if you dig around on the net you will see people do it this way from time to time. A decent tech should be able to do it with some notes.

Most prebuilt racks made to power danner modules probably have all the bits you need; though you might need to do some modifying.

This page has some tech info for the module.

http://audio.kubarth.com/rundfunk/index.cgi

I would probably take the time to get them running, from favorable impression of Neumann danner modules and the fact it’s described as a linear frequency response that has no bass roll off by default... but given that they will never be a piece that will bring a high resale value, my advice would be to keep the overall investment low. Might be cool to run a drum room mic into?
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Haven’t used this particular piece...

It’s a talkback module, but the spec says that it’s a linear frequency response and that it’s able to be wired for low frequency roll off or not. It looks like it has a limiter built in, but skimming through the docs themselves I don’t see that there is a stock way to disengage the limiter (maybe I missed it).

It really shouldn’t be too hard to wire up in a kind of cheap/ad-hoc way, because you just need to get the right connector and a 24v supply. You can wire XLR leads right off the danner module connector... if you dig around on the net you will see people do it this way from time to time. A decent tech should be able to do it with some notes.

Most prebuilt racks made to power danner modules probably have all the bits you need; though you might need to do some modifying.

This page has some tech info for the module.

http://audio.kubarth.com/rundfunk/index.cgi

I would probably take the time to get them running, from favorable impression of Neumann danner modules and the fact it’s described as a linear frequency response that has no bass roll off by default... but given that they will never be a piece that will bring a high resale value, my advice would be to keep the overall investment low. Might be cool to run a drum room mic into?
Thanks for all this info!! I really appreciate it.

Gone through the data on the page, but I can't seem to find the names of the pins for the module - Which pins to wire XLR i/o to and which one to wire power to.

Do you perhaps know?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search