The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor choice in the 3k range Studio Monitors
Old 25th March 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

Monitor choice in the 3k range

I've had Yamaha HS80Ms and JBL 305s for a while. Both would be considered budget friendly monitors. I would like to upgrade and keep the cost to around 3k.

The reason I am even posting this is because there is a dizzying array of near field monitors available at every price point.

I am almost at the point of throwing in the towel and just getting a pair of Auratones and some great headphones.

Any thoughts, opinions or prayers?
Old 25th March 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
I've had Yamaha HS80Ms and JBL 305s for a while. Both would be considered budget friendly monitors. I would like to upgrade and keep the cost to around 3k.

The reason I am even posting this is because there is a dizzying array of near field monitors available at every price point.

I am almost at the point of throwing in the towel and just getting a pair of Auratones and some great headphones.

Any thoughts, opinions or prayers?
Is your room professionally treated/well measured/taken care of?

I don't know how big your room is but for around 3k budget I'd look at:

- Neumann kh310
- Genelec 8331
- KS Digital A200
- ATC scm12 with a nice amp (which is the only 2 way of the group)

In any case, test at least a pair of contenders in YOUR room if you can..
Room interaction plays a big role, then there's the personal taste as well..

I hope this helps,



Cheu
Old 26th March 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Any thoughts, opinions or prayers?
Honestly, I'll tell you what I tell my friends: spend US$2k or save up and spend US$4k.

$3k is an odd zone of speakers of things that are just not in that next bracket of speakers ($4k) but are just nudges above the $2k bracket of speakers. So save some money and spend less or wait and spend more. But $3k is the barren wasteland of speakers that don't get you more speaker per dollar.
Old 26th March 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Solidtrax's Avatar
Schiit Vidar Power amp (2x 100 watt 8ohm, 2x 200 watt in 4ohm).

Buchardt Audio S400 monitor speakers.

Combined, this is just a bit shy of $3000 if I’m not mistaken.

Both the amp and the monitor speakers are sold direct to customer, basically anywhere in the World. What will this set give you? In incredible accurate and enjoyable monitoring solution!

Depending on positioning of the monitors and the room acoustics, it can be used without a sub, even when you work with bass heavy music. They can dig deep, especially for their size. In my room they seem basically flat down to 40Hz, and are usable down to 34Hz after which it becomes silent rapidly. The stereo image is fantastic, as well as the depth of the image and the razor sharp centre image right between the speakers. The only potential issue is that the speakers don’t work well in a super nearfield position, they need some distance to let the drivers integrate optimally. Think 1 meter between the speaker and the listening position as a minimum, ideally even a bit more. I tried them even at 3 meters and that worked surprisingly well too, crazy if you realise how compact they are!
Old 26th March 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Is your room professionally treated/well measured/taken care of?

I don't know how big your room is but for around 3k budget I'd look at:

- Neumann kh310
- Genelec 8331
- KS Digital A200
- ATC scm12 with a nice amp (which is the only 2 way of the group)

In any case, test at least a pair of contenders in YOUR room if you can..
Room interaction plays a big role, then there's the personal taste as well..

I hope this helps,



Cheu
My room is far from well treated though by no means untreated. It is what makes me reluctant to spend on monitors. There is another issue. It is a one room studio in which I record mostly live small ensembles mostly acoustic instruments.

I have thought that a great pair of headphones with a great amp would help in tracking. Problem is it won’t help much mixing. But mixing is easy in this type of recording if the initial recording is good.
Old 26th March 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
My room is far from well treated though by no means untreated. It is what makes me reluctant to spend on monitors. There is another issue. It is a one room studio in which I record mostly live small ensembles mostly acoustic instruments.

I have thought that a great pair of headphones with a great amp would help in tracking. Problem is it won’t help much mixing. But mixing is easy in this type of recording if the initial recording is good.
I'd suggest to invest in treating your room, as much as you can to accomodate your concept (one room for tracking and mixing)..so it will probably always be a compromise, but I'd start there.

then maybe I might go towards the genelec system where you could "help" a little bit more at least the mixing part. (although you could do it also with other loudspeakers and software).
but the acoustics (and integration) plays a much bigger role.

I hope this helps,



Cheu
Old 26th March 2019
  #7
Gear Head
 

Only direct upgrade from Yamaha HS80 is Yamaha HS8 :D Slightly more detail and less mid scoop. Adam and Genelec 2 way monitors will be more different than better.

Dynaudio LYD 48 you might consider an upgrade or a downgrade despite the dedicated midrange woofer. Neumann KH310 is a nice upgrade for 4000 and will be more detailed and has better bass but of course sounds different and less forward than Yamaha.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
robmooney / So Much Gear, So Little Time
9
ckett / So Much Gear, So Little Time
0
fakiekid / So Much Gear, So Little Time
3
jspkdnf / High End
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump