The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer D 730 Internal vs external clock
Old 24th March 2019
Here for the gear

Studer D 730 Internal vs external clock

Hi,

I am from Brussels - Belgium and I have a nice sounding audio set : a Studer D 730 CD with a Crane Song Solaris DAC and Genelec 8260 speakers.

The Studer D 730 has a great sound but I read on the WEB that it is possible to improve the sound with an external clock : ex. Grimm CC 1.

But how to proceed ?

Do I just need to connect the CD player with a BNC cable or do I need to do something inside the device ?

I would be very pleased to have your opinions and I will read with great interest your answers.

Best regards and thanks from Brussels,

Eddy
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Maniac

What about skipping the DAC and connecting the Studer directly with the 8260s via AES, volume control via GLM? Ever tried?
Old 21st April 2019
Hi Eddy, it seems that model Studer CD player has an AES digital output. Simply connect that to the DAC's AES input. No need to run a separate clock signal as the DAC will re-clock it anyway.
It might be a subjective improvement (imaging, depth, etc) compared to the player's internal DAC.
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Hi Eddy, it seems that model Studer CD player has an AES digital output. Simply connect that to the DAC's AES input. No need to run a separate clock signal as the DAC will re-clock it anyway.
It might be a subjective improvement (imaging, depth, etc) compared to the player's internal DAC.
...with emphasis on 'subjective'!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search