The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAW Headroom .... ?! Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Addict

DAW Headroom .... ?!

0 dbfs = +20 dbu in Pro Tools .
I can't change it .

I have converter with +24 dbu . In Pro Tools I can +3.9 db over than 0 db without sound card clipping .

It means , I need to some Daw to changeable dbfs to dbu parameter .

Why ?!

Because , I send it 24 channel from Pro tools to my sound card and from this sound card to my console with +24 , and after mixing in console I need to sending mix down to my sound card , and after that , I listen with same volume but but I listen -4 db lower than console mix down .

DO you have any program for changable dbfs to dbu parameter ?
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanstudio View Post
No. You’ve gone wrong right here.

What dBFS translates to dBu is based on the hardware converters. The DAW is not “controlling” this. Digital signal is just digital signal.

From a hardware standpoint, even Avid’s HD IO boxes can be recalibrated (up until their limits.) Or if you use other converters, it’ll be based on their limits. For instance, I could put a HD MADI that connects to an SPL Madison and have 24 dBu or the same system could be connected to an HD IO i’ve calibrated to 18 dBu. Both could be connected at the same time (HDX2 system). The ProTools DAW would not know any difference because it’s only dealing with the digital world so would have no idea what that is being translated to in the DA stage depending on what output it is going to.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't change it .

I have converter with +24 dbu . In Pro Tools I can +3.9 db over than 0 db without sound card clipping .

It means , I need to some Daw to changeable dbfs to dbu parameter .
0dBFS = +20dBu means that nominal I/O level of +4dBu (1.22v) will show -16dBFS on the meters.
0dBFS = +24dBu means that +4dBu is shown as -20dBFS on the meters.

So, your soundcard metering will show -20dBFS, while the PT meters show -16dBFS on the same 1.228v/+4dBu signal.

You don't change the "dBFS to dBu parameter" though, but you can do one of the following things.
Either take into account that the soundcard metering always shows 4dB lower levels than the PT meters, or you calibrate the interface METERS to display -16dBFS at +4dBu.

This is done by playing a 1kHz sine wave and measuring the output with a multimeter.
When the DMM reads 1.228vac, PT will be showing -16dBFS and the interface -20dBFS.
Follow the meter calibration procedure of the soundcard to set the meters to -16dBFS.

Quote:
Why ?!

Because , I send it 24 channel from Pro tools to my sound card and from this sound card to my console with +24 , and after mixing in console I need to sending mix down to my sound card , and after that , I listen with same volume but but I listen -4 db lower than console mix down .
This is not correct; the soundcard is not changing/lowering the levels.
The levels are the same; only the METERS display lower READINGS (as long as the meters are not calibrated to match each other).

BTW, you may need to also calibrate your console's metering.
Having the meters calibrated, or not, however does not have any consequence for the levels, like you're thinking; meter calibration just makes it less confusing TO READ.

I hope it's more clear to you now.

Success.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search