The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BAE 11-space 500 Series Rack problems 500 Series Chassis
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Addict

BAE 11-space 500 Series Rack problems

Hi all!

I've been in contact with BAE and after additional troubleshooting I may just have to send this unit to them for inspection. In the meantime I'm trying to determine if the Rack is at fault or if Its behaving as designed.

I've bought a brand new BAE 11-space rack, an upgrade from my lindell 510 after lots of research. I chose the BAE due their pedigree and also because Brad from Louder Than Liftoff listed it among racks he endorsed. But I'm having some problems with it now.

a quick note: I've got a Heritage Audio RAM 500 in the rack, which means my mains are connected via XLR to the BAE rack.

-When I power up the rack...perhaps 50% of the time... I begin to hear a low frequency hum which increases in volume (hear attached audio). I quickly notice that the "signal" LEDs on my CAPI VP28s are lit up. The The noise gets loud enough that I fearfully turn off my mains and power down the rack. After waiting a moment I turn it back on and all's well. (by the way, this noise happens even though the RAM 500 is muted)

-When powering down, there is a loud sweeping sound which happens even if the Heritage RAM has mute depressed (Ive attached that the sound also). After troubleshooting this issue I found that when my 2 Heritage Audio 73JRs are pulled out it doesn't happen. But if I replace either one or both of them, the problem resumes. I contacted Heritage and they said "this is the typical noise happenning when a power supply drags too much current on startup. Class A amps typically drag more than class A/B or digital devices, that´s why removing the JRs kind of releases some work from the power supply." That reply didn't comfort me much.

-The last anomaly is that my Retro Doublewide is emitting a low hum when "active". This doesn't happen in the Lindell rack.

I'm posting this to seek info from other owners of BAE racks or Heritage RAM 500s to see if these issues are happening elsewhere. It's been disappointing after having paid the premium to avoid issues.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
BAE 11-space 500 Series Rack problems-img_2926.jpg  
Attached Files

BAE power down sound.mp3 (148.6 KB, 315 views)

BAE SOUND power up.mp3 (657.0 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by withintheflux; 22nd March 2019 at 04:01 AM..
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

EDIT: Sorry, just saw in your post that you did troubleshoot.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Whoa!
I couldn’t tell you what the problem is, but do you get that sound using all of those modules together in your Lindell?

If you’re still within your return time frame, perhaps you could return the BAE and try something else and see if the noise persists.

Maybe the API 10 or Heritage OST 10 since you’ve got a lot of heritage gear already
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Just an update for anyone who's been following this thread.

I got ahold of BAE and they sent me a new PSU. As it turns out, the "power up" oscillation problem disappeared with the new supply. (glad). The power down sound that I described remains. I'm guessing this is just how the Heritage ram 500 works with this combination of rack/modules. That assumes that this new PSU and the BAE rack are both working as designed.

As for the Retro Doublewide... the noise floor still seems increased with the BAE. Not sure what to make of that. I even had Retro take a look at it and change the tubes.

To Answer your question, Oxhan: No, those modules didn't cause these noises via the Lindell.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Maybe try another rack?
Thanks for the update. Good luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search