The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is this possible? Digital Converters
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Maniac

Is this possible?

I am a fan of the Apogee Mini Me. With my mics, subject....it’s the best combined solution. However, 2 tracks is a problem. Is there a way that I can remove the casing and have 3 or 4 of these put in a rack and use one power supply and sum as if one 6 or 8 channel mic pre and converter? More...is it possible to create a recorder using these? Who or where would I go to get something like this created for my own use?
Old 22nd March 2019
Anything is possible.

But whether it’s practical or cost effective is another thing.

What would this give you that an Apogee Symphony converter wouldn’t? Same family of mic pres/conversion in a purpose built product.

Plus it’s off the shelf and tech supported.
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Maniac

I haven’t compared yet. What I heard online from others seems completely different sound.
Old 23rd March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
I haven’t compared yet. What I heard online from others seems completely different sound.
It’s incredibly hard to do a fair test on this sort of stuff.

“Completely different sound” between 2 converters/clean IC based preamps? I don’t think that’s generally true, even between different companies.

If you’re really set on doing this, your best bet is to rack your converters, get some sort of buffered power supply that can replace 4 x wall warts, and an external clock to tie it all together. And an interface with 4x spdif io.

If the mini me’s can’t accept external clock, you can’t do it.

Personally I’d look at an off the shelf solution, but then I really don’t tend to worry about the minute differences between converters - I’ll generally just make decisions based on what I’m hearing. I prize reliability, support and ease of use over minor conversion differences.
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Maniac

I will most likely bag them and go in. Possibly make a vertical case.
Old 24th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaBzg View Post
I will most likely bag them and go in. Possibly make a vertical case.
Just checked. mini-me has no external clock input so you can’t use multiple units together.

Don’t know what else I can say other than I would abandon this idea, it’s not feasible.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search