The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overstayer SVC for replacing Distressors on drum bus ? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Head

Overstayer SVC for replacing Distressors on drum bus ?

Hey guys,

just chimed in on a discussion on the Overstayer 8755 some days ago where people were talking about the SVC also....but I have another question I couldn't found in any thread so far:

I'm using a pair of Distressors followed by a Focusrite RED 2 EQ in a Michael Brauer-type multibus-compression setup, just exactly the way the master MHB does himself, using pretty much the same (pre-calibrated) settings and running mainly drums and bass through them....

For several reasons I'm considering replacing the Dist+EQ setup by the Overstayer SVC - aiming for adding a bit more flexibility in

a) changing the bus's sound without the need for turning knobs on literally four seperate "channels" (2x mono Distressors, 2x mono parametric EQ's !) while messing with L/R drift and overall balance and

b) hopefully the general possible sound signature(s)....

Please could the guys who own both boxes (first and foremost the pair of Distressors and the SVC) tell me whether the SVC is capable of giving me a similar punch and mids-forwardness as the Distressors do?

All videos I've found on YT showing the SVC on drums are blowing off the room a lot - also due to the character of the rather roomy source material....but it also seems to be a bit mushy.....more like loosing clarity and transients a bit and favouring a more destroyed, "long attack, short release" room bloom than adding punch in an exciting way....

Not that this is not a great and valid way of getting a fat overall drum sound.....I DID like what I've heard there....just wondering whether this is what the SVC's best at (or only capable of ?).....or whether it could do the other thing as well - which are my Distressors big time.....they have this certain girth and grit to them which I'm afraid I could lose with using the SVC instead....

Btw that's exactly what happened to me testing the Looptrotter Monster compressor....YT-vids showed huge exploding drum samples - but in direct comparison the Distressors won clearly in more "real-life" applications, and the Monster was always a little indirect sounding....or let me say it differently: It's easy to destroy & distort and go to crazy-land with (m)any cool box(es)....but adding and nailing that great punchy thing to a drum bus in again a more realistic usage - just more as an experience like "Wow, that's a very noticeable lift in punch and character but without just blowing up everything and changing the whole sound so drastically that it has nothing to do anymore with the original" - is not that easy to find...and unfortunately there's no SVC demo available here in Europe...

Any feedback and shared experience deeply appreciated !
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

I would go for the overstayer SFE instead for this application. I know it sounds odd but I know of several people who have replaced their api 2500 with the overstayer SFE for drum bus duties.
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
I would go for the overstayer SFE instead for this application. I know it sounds odd but I know of several people who have replaced their api 2500 with the overstayer SFE for drum bus duties.
Thanks for the input. Do you have experience with both units (SFE & SVC)? And if yes, how would you describe the sonic differences ?
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

the svc is a great unit but for me more so a tone box compressor. it can do some crazy stuff but In it's very nature it rounds transients. Distressors hit harder and are a bit more aggressive. I mainly do pop, rnb and latin so i needed a 2bus comp that could really hit hard and ended up with an obsidian.

for other styles i think the svc is great. my friends who had the svc fell in love with the sfe and kept it for drum duties and got rid of the api 2500 and the svc.

honestly i would go for the overstayer 8755 modular channel as it is their greatest hits compilation box...in a 2u package.
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
the svc is a great unit but for me more so a tone box compressor. it can do some crazy stuff but In it's very nature it rounds transients. Distressors hit harder and are a bit more aggressive. I mainly do pop, rnb and latin so i needed a 2bus comp that could really hit hard and ended up with an obsidian.

for other styles i think the svc is great. my friends who had the svc fell in love with the sfe and kept it for drum duties and got rid of the api 2500 and the svc.

honestly i would go for the overstayer 8755 modular channel as it is their greatest hits compilation box...in a 2u package.
Thanks again ejsongs for sharing....!

Just to clarify a bit more - I'm not at all searching for a 2-bus compressor - and for this application I
a) have several high-end options and
b) have the 8755 on my short list anyway....;-)

Just talking drum/bass multibus here which I'm looking for alternatives....and just in direct comparison to the Distressors as my actual devices...
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Head

Anybody else....?
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Auer View Post
Thanks again ejsongs for sharing....!

Just to clarify a bit more - I'm not at all searching for a 2-bus compressor - and for this application I
a) have several high-end options and
b) have the 8755 on my short list anyway....;-)

Just talking drum/bass multibus here which I'm looking for alternatives....and just in direct comparison to the Distressors as my actual devices...

I'll add this. I would never use a distressor on the 2 bus:(.

I have used the svc on drums as well as the distressor. Because of the styles of music that i normally do the svc didnt hit hard enough on drums for my tastes. i did love what it could do for other applications and i could easily use it for singer/songwriter stuff or even when i need to saturate drums for rockstuff...just not to my taste for rnb/hip hop...

i like drums that make you blink.

for overstayer drums...the sfe really is the way to go.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I'll add this. I would never use a distressor on the 2 bus:(.

I have used the svc on drums as well as the distressor. Because of the styles of music that i normally do the svc didnt hit hard enough on drums for my tastes. i did love what it could do for other applications and i could easily use it for singer/songwriter stuff or even when i need to saturate drums for rockstuff...just not to my taste for rnb/hip hop...

i like drums that make you blink.

for overstayer drums...the sfe really is the way to go.
Hey ejsongs,

thanks for the addition: "Drums that make you blink" is what I'm looking for indeed.....;-)))

And it seems to proof my estimation that what I've heard so far on the web from the SVC is very cool and with a lot of character but yet a bit more on the mushy side instead of punchy beef....

So you seem to clearly prefer the SFE over the SVC....But could you still go ahead a little bit regarding the Distressors in comparison to the SFE ? How would you characterize these two....? I'm using the pair of Distressors in 6:1+British Mode and having the do some lifting....(in parallel though).
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Head

Anybody ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search