The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Ref Gold... What Preamp? Channel Strips
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

Manley Ref Gold... What Preamp?

Spent what feels like days researching different preamps and I’m down to the following;

1. Shelford Channel
2. Portico II
3. Aurora GTQC

Main mic will be a Manley Ref Gold. Primarily recording male vocals for Top 40 type music. Let me know which one you’d go for. Tyty
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Tough call... Any or all. I know, not helpful. It’s just I’m sure I’d be satisfied with any of them. But knowing which I’d like the most for the that specific mic and that specific application for me to purchase, I wouldn’t know unless I tried them all.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear
I have not tried any of the 3 units you have listed. I can tell you from experience that Buzz Audio MA.2.2 is great mic preamp with Manley mics (and Neumann mics and Shure SM57s & 58s too). If you are wanting a channel then the Buzz ARC is superb.
The VoxBox is fine too. I often use it.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
I have not tried any of the 3 units you have listed. I can tell you from experience that Buzz Audio MA.2.2 is great mic preamp with Manley mics (and Neumann mics and Shure SM57s & 58s too). If you are wanting a channel then the Buzz ARC is superb.
The VoxBox is fine too. I often use it.
I personally cannot stand the VoxBox. I have had this one for a decade or more and also have a habit of never selling anything. Just in case.

I also have the Buzz Audio MA 2-2. It is clean and pristine.

Also, let me add that I love all the other Manley gear. I have nearly everything they have ever made and it is all wonderful. So my issue with the VoxBox is probably on my end and I just don't quite understand how to use it. That's one reason why I refuse to part with gear. I tinker with it, and other gear I don't get, during my downtime.

I have a large number of high end mics and vocal processors. But I keep coming back to an unlikely combo: A Manley Ref Card run into an Avalon 737 and then into a Manley Massive Passive for a touch more EQ.

Compression is a no-go for me. I have never seen or heard a compressor I liked for voice.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwillendintears View Post
Spent what feels like days researching different preamps and I’m down to the following;

1. Shelford Channel
2. Portico II
3. Aurora GTQC

Main mic will be a Manley Ref Gold. Primarily recording male vocals for Top 40 type music. Let me know which one you’d go for. Tyty
Between these 3 I'd go for the GTQC.

Otherwise I'd look into a Telefunken V72 or V76 (look at vintagetools.de, they do rack them among other vintage german stuff) or if you want something clean a Forssell smp2 or smp500..no sibilance issues with the forssell.

In the 500 series you might be a le to build quite a stellar chain with an Avedis MA5, the eq of your choice (E27, crane song insignia or pulse techniques eqp-500) and a jdk V12 or a IC brute..

Cheu
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Nut

I have a Manley Gold and a GTQC and they are beautiful together! Super clean sound from the Manley with just the right amount of magic from the GTQC will make vocals sit great! Clean but not hidden! It’s an incredible combo!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search