The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why do you like (or love!) the "LA-2A Sound" on VOCALS! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Why do you like (or love!) the "LA-2A Sound" on VOCALS!

"Grasshopper" here seeks to learn.

Thoughts/Comments/Favorite General Settings?

Thanks in advance, for your responses.
Chris
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Because it sounds good. Don't overthink it man.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear
LA2A - because sounds so great on bass and vocals, there's no thinking involved it's essentially got two knobs, it's very hard to f-up the settings.

That said as much as I love the LA2A .... I usually reach for my Retro STA Level instead - but that's for another thread
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

LA2A is pro all the way but I've never liked the release so I gravitate towards other compressors. Retro 176 is mind melting good esp on vocs.
Old 20th March 2019
I used to love it to death but tastes change and now I'm using the Chandler RS124 more. Also there are better saturation boxes for bass.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Because it sounds good. Don't overthink it man.
Hey, I'm part Chessmaster AND part Gear Geek! Kind of a Spock, born to rock!

Thanks guys!
Chris
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Hire one for a day (an old 1 preferably) and you’ll get it. Or not.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

It just "holds things in place" and it seems to eat up the bad frequencies. They also work well for tracking electric guitars. I really like the 1176 for the peaks and the LA2A as a leveler for vocals. It pretty much works and sounds good every time.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
"Grasshopper" here seeks to learn.

Thoughts/Comments/Favorite General Settings?

Thanks in advance, for your responses.
Chris
The LA2A is "that: sound and with an 1176 it can be "that" sound too!!

Vocals over the last 40 years on the radio...that's the sound.

What I use it for, tracking lightly for ballad vocals. If the vocalist has a punchy breath pattern I might sit an 1176 in front to lightly catch the peaks.

Bass guitar to get it to sit evenly in the track. But some automation is always required.

Aggressively compressing for artsy or effect type things.

To add some girth and dimension to already recorded tracks that are thinly recorded. Tubes and Large Transformers, nothing else will do.

It's two knobs so there are no favorite settings because it depends on the level of the input but generally right knob until I see it working (for tracking) then makeup gain for level. It's a beautiful thing. If I want something more aggressive, push up the compression until it shows 10db of reduction, then adjust the gain.

That's all I can think of.
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Hey, I'm part Chessmaster AND part Gear Geek! Kind of a Spock, born to rock!

Thanks guys!
Chris
Are you really a master? What's your rating?
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

Yes. Correct USCF is 2362. Fide 2270. Peak strength around 2420 USCF (and was going up-at the time). Pushing 60, I need to get enough rest-then still 2300+ strength at 10 minute (or longer games). Deduct 100 points for 3 and 5 minute.

Thanks for asking! Do you play too?
Chris
Old 21st March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
It just "holds things in place" and it seems to eat up the bad frequencies. They also work well for tracking electric guitars. I really like the 1176 for the peaks and the LA2A as a leveler for vocals. It pretty much works and sounds good every time.
That's the common vocal use.
Old 21st March 2019
I personally love the new UA LA2-A and UA 1176 compressors. They have a clearer sound that includes a wonderful character that beats out the best plug in versions hands down.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search