The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 5088 Shelford console vs. API 1608 mkII Consoles
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Head

Neve 5088 Shelford console vs. API 1608 mkII

This should not be another Neve vs. API thread.
I was just investigating and looking at both consoles:

API 1608-II 16-CHANNEL : $52,400.00

RUPERT NEVE DESIGNS 5088 SHELFORD CONSOLE 16 channel: $88,881.00

I was wondering why the price difference is over $36,000 !!!
They have the same amount of channels and offer a similar feature-set and form factor.
So why 36 grands?
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Maniac

A lot of console manufacturers sell to vastly different price points. You could add SSL, AMS Neve, DaKing, Trident to your list of companies that charge different prices for a 16 channel, 8 bus console.

In the case of the RND vs API, I think most of the price difference comes from the cost of loading the penthouse sections. 1 channel of Shelford pre/eq is a lot more expensive than 1 channel of API EQ. Multiply that by 16 and you’re on your way to your answer.
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Head

thanks for an approach
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

For the best of both worlds...get your 1608 minus a few EQs...add a shelford rack.
As you generate $$ and need...buy the omitted EQ more Shelford modules.
Old 16th March 2019
API and Neve have a different sound as well. I suggest learning the sound of both and decide which type of sound you prefer. The smoother Neve or punchy API
Old 17th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
API and Neve have a different sound as well. I suggest learning the sound of both and decide which type of sound you prefer. The smoother Neve or punchy API
thanks for the heads-up but that's not intended to be part of the discussion.
I just wanted to elaborate the huge price difference of two similar format consoles.
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

I think the extra cost is partially due to the RND being entirely transformer coupled. The 1608 uses 2510 op amps, which are that board's achilles heel. Ever since the Legacy came out and introduced that op amp, many studio owners have replaced the 2510's in order to get the sound they desire. Even in pro audio, you get what you pay for. For me, given the choice between the two, I picked the 5088.
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I think the extra cost is partially due to the RND being entirely transformer coupled. The 1608 uses 2510 op amps, which are that board's achilles heel. Ever since the Legacy came out and introduced that op amp, many studio owners have replaced the 2510's in order to get the sound they desire. Even in pro audio, you get what you pay for. For me, given the choice between the two, I picked the 5088.
Is yours installed? Having fun?
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaGray View Post
This should not be another Neve vs. API thread.
I was just investigating and looking at both consoles:

API 1608-II 16-CHANNEL : $52,400.00

RUPERT NEVE DESIGNS 5088 SHELFORD CONSOLE 16 channel: $88,881.00

I was wondering why the price difference is over $36,000 !!!
They have the same amount of channels and offer a similar feature-set and form factor.
So why 36 grands?
Maybe you're already set with one of these two..

otherwise I'd suggest to take a look at the Custom75 (now made in Burbank), the Daking Console MKII (terrific routing plus a compressor on every channel) or if the brand recognition is not really important to you, the Interphase Ark8 console, completely modular..

I'm just saying that there are few other good options out there that might be worth to investigate..

Cheu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search