The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIY Amphion Subwoofer Studio Monitors
Old 13th March 2019
Here for the gear
DIY Amphion Subwoofer

Hi All,

I recently purchased a pair of Amphion one 18 + AMP100 and I'm very happy with the setup except on the SUb / bass domain. I produce EDM stuff and I noticed that my mixes have too many bass, I think I need to add a sub have more bass when tracking / mixing (im also DJ and used to be in clubs).

I cannot afford Amphion Base One 25 but really like the design of them, also the fact that they sit under the Speakers and they are Stereo. I don't like to have mono sub coming from the center and feeling like beeing detached.

I would like to know if somebody allready build subwoofer like the Base One 25 ?

The drivers used inside the Amphion seems to be 2xSeas L26ROY (10inch) + 2 radiators. The Amp 500 is a ClassD 500W with active crossover @100H based on anaview amp.

I saw this cabinet construction that is close to the AMphion subwoofer here Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente. THey will be perfect for the Woofer + Radiators. Only Miss the Amp + Crossover section.

Any advice about building this subwoofers will be really appreciated.

David
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Head

Hey I had a thought my self since I am a two 18 user....
I think going diy for a subwoofer system is a viable solution, probably not that economik if you take in account all the searching for materials, shipping, project drawing etc.
I'm planniong to use the same seas L26 roy subs but coupled with an hypex fusion amp, this would give much more flexibility and easy installation.
the only down side I haven't figured out yet is how to implement an HP for the mains with by pass...
Talking about the cabinet it should not be so difficoult to build (or get it done by a pro) with internal bracing etc.. I think I'll keep the same height of the two 18's and have a front firing woofer per side plus the passive radiator on the back side.
This would leave the 2 external sides free for the amps.
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

You should both head over here - Subwoofers - diyAudio

Plenty of sage advice to be gleaned from that forum.

Though you may know it already, it's important to realise a loudspeaker or subwoofer is a system made up of an enclosure, drivers, crossover and resonators like ports and passive radiators. If you change the size, shape or parameters of any of these, the system's performance will change, sometimes significantly for a seemingly small change. It almost makes reverse engineering an existing design harder than starting from scratch imo !
Old 15th March 2019
Here for the gear
ok thank you, is it possible to move this thread to the good forum section ? Or do I need to post a new thread ?
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

That link I posted is to a different forum unrelated to Gearslutz so this one can't be moved.

Yes, if I were you I'd start a thread there. Have you ever built or designed a speaker system before ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search