The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LAVRY GOLD DA (sound included) and relativity of money Digital Converters
Old 13th March 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
LAVRY GOLD DA (sound included) and relativity of money

Before I say anything, I believe good gear is NOT necessary to make a good music.
Beethoven and Mozart's concerto would still be Beethoven and Mozart's concerto even though first violinist doesn't use Stradivarius. Same goes with Jimi hendrix.

I hope you guys would not fight on off topic Still a lot of good engineers are able to make songs good without high end gear.





I've always been wondering how would this 'shiny' gold would sound so that it would cost this huge amount of money COMPARED to the other converters,

and got a chance to hear them. (I did NOT have chance to hear the Weiss DAC MK III, Prism ADA XR or dream series though)


In one sentence, It is just on the another level like its price! ).

This Quintessence is the very best that I have ever heard in my life. I was so impressed about 'the wall of sound' it creates. From very bottom to the very top without blurriness or harshness; so wide on stereo yet no weakness or blurriness on mono; the amazing 3d depth that it makes. It even feels unrealistic that it just reveals every small details brutally.

It is just top on the hill. Clearly seeing the very tail of the reverb AND the face of transient, so musical yet very precise and transparent. I put some UAD plugin and immediately hear the change of sound even without turning the knob.



At first I hear this, I thought the mid and mid low was little bit emphasized(not boosted), but keep comparing to the original songs, the way that Lavry sounds is the right sound in terms of 'transparency.'


Yes, you can buy other gears and gears rather than buying just only one this goldie from same amount of money, but this Lavry is truly amazing.



The dilemma is that, would it be better to use single Lavry gold DAC OR other good multi channel DAC (like HORUS & MTRX) + summing mixer??

I wouldn't answer it each person might have different view. so I will leave this up to you guys.

Hope this would quench your curiosity about high end gear.




Dropbox - Lavry vs symhony-1 Project.zip



You might need able ton LIVE to open this. These are my favorite songs. Forgot to capture the classical music though...





I used both same AD from Symphony MK II 8x8 which I think next to the Gold and the top sounding on it's price range. I had to adjust the digital reference volume for Lavry gold on 'Apogee Control app' since Lavry's output level was much higher.





THE SONGS RECORDED ARE ONLY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE ONLY NOT FOR SHARING NOR MAKING ANY PROFIT OUT OF IT. COPYRIGHT WHOLLY BELONGS TO THE ORIGINAL MAKER NOT ME.












p.s. As far as I know, this gold DA has been released few years early compared to other recent gears, but quite surprised that the DAC's price doesn't really decreased while computer components are getting cheaper and better. (for example, like graphic cards) Advertising increased dynamic range and clock but still I don't believe that it would sound better than the Gold.

Nothing against high end gear, I respect the time, experiment, designing and quality checking they are doing. Maybe it is way too good for a. making profit to company while b) allowing mass production.... I don't know.
Old 13th March 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
Personally I don't care for the sound of Lavy converters.

So rule 101 of pro audio.

Everything is entirely subjective.

If you'd been talking about a Crane song HEDD 192 or HEDD Quantum then you'd of had my agreement.

Everyone's taste is different, ones man's "dream master converter" is another's man's "not my cup of tea"
Old 13th March 2019
  #3
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Personally I don't care for the sound of Lavy converters.

So rule 101 of pro audio.

Everything is entirely subjective.

If you'd been talking about a Crane song HEDD 192 or HEDD Quantum then you'd of had my agreement.

Everyone's taste is different, ones man's "dream master converter" is another's man's "not my cup of tea"
First I already told you that

"Before I say anything, I believe good gear is NOT necessary to make a good music."

But also subjectivity does not nullify the difference of quality neither
Old 13th March 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 

Hi there maybe I missed it in your post - what monitors were you listening on please?

I hope you get to try the JCF
Old 13th March 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkray707 View Post
First I already told you that

"Before I say anything, I believe good gear is NOT necessary to make a good music."

But also subjectivity does not nullify the difference of quality neither
You missed my point (given a HEDD converter is the same high end design paradigm as a Lavy Gold)

The subjectivity is - not all high end gear automatically guarantees "qualities" we individually find pleasing.

Therefore one can be general in stating for example high end converters or high tube compressors are great tools - but naming specific models is subjective.

I love using a Retro STA level for tracking my vocals.
Other engineers wouldn't use a Retro STA Level is you gave them one for free!

Yet we can generally agree high end tube compressors are great tools.

Hopefully I've made my point clearer - of course it's great that you love the sound of a Lavy Gold - not a cheap choice
Old 13th March 2019
  #6
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
You missed my point (given a HEDD converter is the same high end design paradigm as a Lavy Gold)

The subjectivity is - not all high end gear automatically guarantees "qualities" we individually find pleasing.

Therefore one can be general in stating for example high end converters or high tube compressors are great tools - but naming specific models is subjective.

I love using a Retro STA level for tracking my vocals.
Other engineers wouldn't use a Retro STA Level is you gave them one for free!

Yet we can generally agree high end tube compressors are great tools.

Hopefully I've made my point clearer - of course it's great that you love the sound of a Lavy Gold - not a cheap choice

I agree with you totally. It might be not suitable for anyone but that is why I wrote in the term of 'transparency' it is doing its job well. If someone is looking for other features, they don't need to purchase these 'not cup of their tea'.

It feels like talking about how good the Ferrari is and someone saying that it s subjective to like Ferrari. Of course everyone doesn't have to agree to like Ferrari. I respect that, but don't you think that is off topic as I mentioned very first? No offence, I agree with you again and your point but that is not my point for this post.


ps. I don't own the Gold. I know I could do different things with that same amount of money.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
OMU / Mastering Forum
60
not_so_new / So Much Gear, So Little Time
14
davehall6162 / High End
6
enjoy_music / High End
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump