The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HW alternative to UAD ATR Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

HW alternative to UAD ATR

I LOVE the way the UAD ATR plug sounds, but not the latency it introduces to my workflow when on the mix bus.

So I want a hardware emulator (not real tape), and I don’t need it to be exact, but able to do an ATR-ish (not Studer-ish) thing.

I’m considering:
Silver Bullet
RND 5042
UBK Fatso
Overstayer MAS
Zulu

Which, if any, would you recommend to play that role?

- proxy
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

You should also consider the CraneSong HEDD.
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
You should also consider the CraneSong HEDD.
Thanks. My old mastering engineer in NY used to use one, and I liked the effect.

That said, it had more of an elegant modern tape-like sheen that, while rich and interesting, didn’t feel anything like the UAD ATR.

Is your experience different with it?
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Anamod ATS-1. Honestly hands down one of the best bits of outboard around IMO. Can't get over how amazing they sound...
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Anamod ATS-1. Honestly hands down one of the best bits of outboard around IMO. Can't get over how amazing they sound...
Yup! You have to get the ATR-102 card separately though. It’s amazing!!!
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Thanks. My old mastering engineer in NY used to use one, and I liked the effect.

That said, it had more of an elegant modern tape-like sheen that, while rich and interesting, didn’t feel anything like the UAD ATR.

Is your experience different with it?
Between the triode, pentode and tape settings you can dial in a good variety of sounds; elegant and modern sheen being just one of them.
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Between the triode, pentode and tape settings you can dial in a good variety of sounds; elegant and modern sheen being just one of them.
Serious question: Is one of those variety of sounds sounding like an ATR-102?
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
Yup! You have to get the ATR-102 card separately though. It’s amazing!!!
Thanks. I just emailed them for pricing. I’ve heard positive things about the Anamod but didn’t realize there was a specific card to emulate the ATR-102.
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! I too have heard good things. Have you used the ATR-102 card with it?
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks. I just emailed them for pricing. I’ve heard positive things about the Anamod but didn’t realize there was a specific card to emulate the ATR-102.
Yeah. It does the ATR high frequency thing at 15IPS. Makes the top end more defined. And the lows are big! Saturates nicely. Great unit!!!.
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear
I mix into HEDD 192 and add some Tape and a touch of Pentode then follow that with a hardware bus compressor, it gives me everything I love to hear on a mix bus, glue, warmth, depth and width.

Imho Dave Hill really nailed the fundimental magic of Tape on the HEDD. IIRC he was one of the original designers of the ATR.
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Serious question: Is one of those variety of sounds sounding like an ATR-102?
I’ve never A/B’d them, but I’m confident that you could get close. You should demo one!
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I mix into HEDD 192 and add some Tape and a touch of Pentode then follow that with a hardware bus compressor, it gives me everything I love to hear on a mix bus, glue, warmth, depth and width.

Imho Dave Hill really nailed the fundimental magic of Tape on the HEDD. IIRC he was one of the original designers of the ATR.
Woah. Didn’t know that about Dave Hill and the ATR.

You learn something new every day.

I’ve long been a fan of his Summit designs. Will check out the Cranesong stuff.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I LOVE the way the UAD ATR plug sounds, but not the latency it introduces to my workflow when on the mix bus.

So I want a hardware emulator (not real tape), and I don’t need it to be exact, but able to do an ATR-ish (not Studer-ish) thing.

I’m considering:
Silver Bullet
RND 5042
UBK Fatso
Overstayer MAS
Zulu

- proxy
Hi there,

If you haven't already you should check out a thread myself and my friend, Justin Weis, started many years ago comparing his ATR102 to the UAD and Waves plugins as well as my Anamod ATS-1.

Ampex ATR 102, Anamod ATS-1, UAD, Waves - Processed Files

The bottom line for me after doing those comparison tests was that the Anamod was the next best option after the real thing. I still own and use my ATS-1 on every session. While I'm flattered you would consider the Silver Bullet it was never meant to emulate tape. It is meant to sound like a large format vintage console though. I've owned and/or used a couple of the other boxes you listed and they just don't exhibit the same depth of emulation as the ATS-1. If you are after a convincing ATR sound then the Anamod should be on your short list IMHO.

cheers,
Brad
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks Brad.

I continue to be interested in the SB based on the general enthusiasm here, but thank you for the clarification over what it is and isn’t attempting to do.

I emailed Eric to get on their list for the next run of ATS units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Hi there,

If you haven't already you should check out a thread myself and my friend, Justin Weis, started many years ago comparing his ATR102 to the UAD and Waves plugins as well as my Anamod ATS-1.

Ampex ATR 102, Anamod ATS-1, UAD, Waves - Processed Files

The bottom line for me after doing those comparison tests was that the Anamod was the next best option after the real thing. I still own and use my ATS-1 on every session. While I'm flattered you would consider the Silver Bullet it was never meant to emulate tape. It is meant to sound like a large format vintage console though. I've owned and/or used a couple of the other boxes you listed and they just don't exhibit the same depth of emulation as the ATS-1. If you are after a convincing ATR sound then the Anamod should be on your short list IMHO.

cheers,
Brad
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I’m considering:
Silver Bullet
RND 5042
UBK Fatso
Overstayer MAS
Zulu

- proxy
Our gold standard was the Studer A810, followed by Tascam multitrack and cassette 4 track.

That being stated, I get before and after clips of various decks and tweak Zulu's settings to get what I feel is a very similar tonality and noiseless reproduction of that fingerprint. However, I don't own an ATR machine and wouldn't pretend to know the formula on Zulu to even try to get close to its sound without having some frame of reference to make the comparison.

I find more and more over the years that nostalgic ears are simply that. I've done obtained extremely close results to the Ampex stuff, Teac, Technics, Revox, Telefunken, Otari, Studer multitracks and so on. But here's the thing, I always get folks who aren't impressed with those results but then they aren't impressed with the actual tape recordings either. "That doesn't sound like MY deck."

You ever have a friend who had the same car as you? But you drive her car and its like, "NOPE." Not the same. But its literally the "same," car. I have this viewpoint of tape machines the same way. Its not just the technical side, its got its roots in the emotional aspect too. I'm not making the claim that no two identical pieces of gear sound alike but I am saying that quite a few folks make that claim on their own and perspective is a beast.

If you would like to post clips of A/B for the unit in question, plugin or not. I'm pretty sure we can try to whip up an emulation using Zulu desktop and then share those settings.

I'm game.

Thanks
-L.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
ATS-1 is the best by far.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
It does the head bumps and frequency dependent distortion properly.

Brad
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Brad
You should hear it with the Scotch tape formulation at 7.5 IPS- niiiiice. Maybe you have already? Anyway, I love it
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You should hear it with the Scotch tape formulation at 7.5 IPS- niiiiice. Maybe you have already? Anyway, I love it
I have a fully loaded ATS-1, but haven't explored the Scotch formulation as much as I probably should. It's such a cool box and worth every penny.

Brad
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

I appreciate the offer for the A/B.

I’m currently listening to Alan Evans on the Recording Stufio Rockstars podcast and he’s very enthusiastic about the Zulu, saying he uses four of them in his workflow. Definitely got me curious.

That said, my plan is to start with the Anamod, then experiment with some of these other variations.

For me, I don’t get lost in exactness between the original and an emulation. I think of it more as the role it plays, and it sounds like Anamod with the ATR card could definitely play that role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Our gold standard was the Studer A810, followed by Tascam multitrack and cassette 4 track.

That being stated, I get before and after clips of various decks and tweak Zulu's settings to get what I feel is a very similar tonality and noiseless reproduction of that fingerprint. However, I don't own an ATR machine and wouldn't pretend to know the formula on Zulu to even try to get close to its sound without having some frame of reference to make the comparison.

I find more and more over the years that nostalgic ears are simply that. I've done obtained extremely close results to the Ampex stuff, Teac, Technics, Revox, Telefunken, Otari, Studer multitracks and so on. But here's the thing, I always get folks who aren't impressed with those results but then they aren't impressed with the actual tape recordings either. "That doesn't sound like MY deck."

You ever have a friend who had the same car as you? But you drive her car and its like, "NOPE." Not the same. But its literally the "same," car. I have this viewpoint of tape machines the same way. Its not just the technical side, its got its roots in the emotional aspect too. I'm not making the claim that no two identical pieces of gear sound alike but I am saying that quite a few folks make that claim on their own and perspective is a beast.

If you would like to post clips of A/B for the unit in question, plugin or not. I'm pretty sure we can try to whip up an emulation using Zulu desktop and then share those settings.

I'm game.

Thanks
-L.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Brad
Yes, these aspects are part of what I like about the ATR... what it does to the low mid and low end, the subtly beautiful distortion, and the softened high end.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I have a fully loaded ATS-1, but haven't explored the Scotch formulation as much as I probably should. It's such a cool box and worth every penny.

Brad
It's definitely a great tool, but I haven't found a use for the 'hiss' yet...
Old 13th March 2019
Anamod has the depth of field and the bottom end bump. I use a mixture of that, MAS, SB, RND 542 and the Roger Mayer 456.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Anamod has the depth of field and the bottom end bump. I use a mixture of that, MAS, SB, RND 542 and the Roger Mayer 456.

Paul, we shop in the same aisle. =D

You prefer MAS for that role over SVC?
Old 13th March 2019
Quote:
Paul, we shop in the same aisle. =D

You prefer MAS for that role over SVC?
Generally, yes it's more subtle.
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Generally, yes it's more subtle.
Thanks!

As you are obviously super into hw tape em, is Zulu excluded in that bunch because you have yet to own it, or it didn’t jive with you?

Seemed pretty cool from demos I’ve heard.
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's definitely a great tool, but I haven't found a use for the 'hiss' yet...
I'm with you there. I turn that off.

Brad
Old 17th March 2019
Quote:
Thanks!

As you are obviously super into hw tape em, is Zulu excluded in that bunch because you have yet to own it, or it didn’t jive with you?

Seemed pretty cool from demos I’ve heard.
I just found it took up a lot of desk space when I could use 500 series boxes like the RND 542 or the Bereich 03 Audio 500 series and they sounded better and were more compact. So I sold it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search