The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal sm9: right height from floor for a good listening?
Old 9th March 2019
Here for the gear

Focal sm9: right height from floor for a good listening?

Hello, i'm new in gearslutz.
Would ask to you the right height from floor to have a good performance with my monitor.
I just listening music from sofa, (no desk, no working stuff), and I built a couple of stands to hold the tweeter approximately at the height of my ear.
Any advice?
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Tweeters should be at ear height.
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

From the manual:
Quote:
Positioning
The SM9 are designed for near field and mid field monitoring and should be placed at a distance between 1 and 4 metres from the listener, pointing towards the listening position. They can be positioned on the console top or placed on appropriate stands. In any way it is recommended that the tweeter is at a height from the floor approximately equivalent to that of the listener’s ears.
Old 19th March 2019
Focal is having a nice sale on this. It’s discontinued and being replaced by the new Trio 11 Be.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I wonder really, how much better the Trio11 is than the SM9. I hear the mids are slightly more forward sounding on the Trio6 than they are on the SM9, but that the SM9 has slightly more low end punch, but not by much, likely due to the passive radiator on those.

Now that the Trio11 are the new flagship by Focal in their professional line, I wonder if anyone has done a breakdown on the differences between the Trio11 and the older SM9 models. It should sound better by all accounts, especially considering they've worked on this new model for what is likely to be years of research and development. At $AUD13000 a pair for the Trio11s, that's a LOT of money in any language.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
I wonder really, how much better the Trio11 is than the SM9.
I would love to hear some comparison on this too.

Daniel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search