The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which to buy - Antelope Orion Studio or Orion 32+ Audio Interfaces
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Head
Which to buy - Antelope Orion Studio or Orion 32+

Hi everyone,

I want to upgrade my converters. Currently I'm using a MIDAS Venice F32, it's a nice board and the converters are decent for the price but now I'm moving up in the world I figure it'd be a good idea to invest in some better AD and DA conversion.

I've looked around a lot and it seems that the antelope orion products are the best I can get for the price, unfortunately the Apoggee and Lynx converters are just that bit too expensive for my budget.

I'm not sure wether to get an orion studio or an orion 32+. As I already have the MIDAS desk with 32 channels, I'd hook the Orion 32+ up to that with a view to getting a better console and/or some mic pres further down the line when I can raise the funds.

On the other hand, the orion studio looks like it'd give me some better mic pre's right away. However, its' analog I/O is limited for future expansion. I like to sum analog on the MIDAS desk, and the orion studio only gives me 16 analog out rather than 32. Also, as far as I can tell the studio offers me no extra analog inputs, other than the pres, so if I wanted to expand my collection of pre's in the future I'd need another converter.

If you were in my situation what would you go for and why?

I just can't decide although I think I'm leaning with the orion 32+ (Gen 3 is on the horizon, if not here already?)

All opinions are helpful and valid so fire away! Cheers
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear
if you are needing 32 analogue outputs as opposed to 16 plus mic pres you know the answer.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Addict

I can't comment on the Orion Studio but my Orion 32+ is a quality workhorse. Love it.
I would just recommend using another audio interface connected via Madi such as the RME Madiface or Madiface Xt as the Orion software hasn't got a great reputation.
Used this way just as converter and clock generator it is top notch!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search