The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann + Avalon or Lewitt + Klark Teknik? Condenser Microphones
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Addict

Neumann + Avalon or Lewitt + Klark Teknik?

Hello Guys

So here is my story today...
I am gonna start the recording of Fusion Jazz recording where i Play Alto Saxophone. I guess you can consider it very similar to recording a Woman Vocal.
MY audio interfece is an Antelope Zen Tour.

I wonder if its Worth it to buy:

- a Neumann U87 (new one)
- with an Avalon 737

As those are working well together and have already been proven great on sax (and vocal), or if a Similar Chain made of :

- Lewitt Lct 940 (the Tube + Fet one)
- Focusrite Isa One
- Klark Teknik "1176" + "La2A" + "Pultec" (i understand those are "copies of" but...)

Its around Half the Price (here in Japan)...
I could take the Neuman/avalon set but as its very expensive i wanted to ask you about that "Plan B" lol
Do you think the difference in quality will be Huge ?
Will i get a Noisy output after passing thru 3 Klark Teknik gear or are they quite ?
I Plan on using them really lightly on the way In but i do like to do that instead of having nothing before the interface and doing everything in the daw later... somehow i feel it sound smoother that way but i am interested in your experiences or advices.

Thank you very much
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Addict

Unfortunately it has always been my experience that you get what you pay for. Personally I would invest in gear that you can use for a life time. Have had the 737 and u87’s. I am not a fan of paint it the same color and put the same knobs on it. Pulse Technique’s make the real Pultecs. But, I do understand a persons budget. Say hello to Ginza for me. I think Wacko chocolate is the best on the planet.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Addict

Thank you I will say hello to Ginza for you
I think i understand what you mean and it what i was worried about...
Although i guess at least the Focusrite Isa One is a good Pre but its only one part of the Avalon...
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Of the mics you list, I’d probably use the Lewitt into a Neve style pre like BAE, AMLez1073, Avedis, Great River. The peluso or u87 would be my second choice for most saxes. More importantly, I’d avoid the 737. For the money you can do much better for a preamp. I’ve responded to your other thread in more detail with some info that may help you. And I would not record sax with compression or EQ. I’d save that for the mix.
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

here's a much different suggestion:
neumann tlm170 into grace design m103 - highly recommended (used on tenor though)!
Old 9th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
neumann tlm170 into grace design m103 - highly recommended (used on tenor though)!
TLM170 is an outstanding mic and sounds great on most saxes
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
Of the mics you list, I’d probably use the Lewitt into a Neve style pre like BAE, AMLez1073, Avedis, Great River. The peluso or u87 would be my second choice for most saxes. More importantly, I’d avoid the 737. For the money you can do much better for a preamp. I’ve responded to your other thread in more detail with some info that may help you. And I would not record sax with compression or EQ. I’d save that for the mix.
Thank You DrSax
I see what you mean for the Avalon, indeed it sound a bit flat for what is an expensive piece of gear for me...
Strangely i feel even the Focusrite Isa One sound thicker for 1/6 of the price (but its just a pre, it doesnt have eq, compressor...).
But i will look for the Pre you said

At the moment indeed i am feeling a little bit more toward A neumann...
Because all in all they seems to sound "Smooth and Natural" to me...
The 87 is sometime said to be a bit too bright for Sax but i guess it also depend on the style of sound/music.
I saw also that there is a TLM67 with a "warmer" sound but from the Frequency Chart it start to cur High Frequency very early from 10khz... and i feel its a bit much.
Between those 2 i feel its easier if needed to lower a bit of High from the u87 than to add some on a mic that cut so fast from 10khz ?

I saw your response just now on my other thread and i was not yet sure about that but i think you are right, especially as saxophone is a very dynamic instrument, we have headroom in 24bits etc etc... so like you said, i will just do Mic--> Pre--> Soundcard then see in the mix

Thank You very much for those Advices
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
Thanks i am gonna look into it
As i think i would prefer to get a Neumann
Old 9th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromatronic View Post
Thank You DrSax
I see what you mean for the Avalon, indeed it sound a bit flat for what is an expensive piece of gear for me...
Strangely i feel even the Focusrite Isa One sound thicker for 1/6 of the price (but its just a pre, it doesnt have eq, compressor...).
But i will look for the Pre you said

At the moment indeed i am feeling a little bit more toward A neumann...
Because all in all they seems to sound "Smooth and Natural" to me...
The 87 is sometime said to be a bit too bright for Sax but i guess it also depend on the style of sound/music.
I saw also that there is a TLM67 with a "warmer" sound but from the Frequency Chart it start to cur High Frequency very early from 10khz... and i feel its a bit much.
Between those 2 i feel its easier if needed to lower a bit of High from the u87 than to add some on a mic that cut so fast from 10khz ?

I saw your response just now on my other thread and i was not yet sure about that but i think you are right, especially as saxophone is a very dynamic instrument, we have headroom in 24bits etc etc... so like you said, i will just do Mic--> Pre--> Soundcard then see in the mix

Thank You very much for those Advices
You’re welcome. For the Neumann mics, If you can try the TLM67, U87ai and TLM170 before you buy that would be a good idea. Then you can see which sounds best for you
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
You’re welcome. For the Neumann mics, If you can try the TLM67, U87ai and TLM170 before you buy that would be a good idea. Then you can see which sounds best for you
Sadly i probably cant try them at home... and mostly they dont have them in stock so i guess if i have to make them order one, i cant send it back...
But on the other thread i kept all your recomendation and i am sorry... i asked more questions lol
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromatronic View Post
Sadly i probably cant try them at home... and mostly they dont have them in stock so i guess if i have to make them order one, i cant send it back...
But on the other thread i kept all your recomendation and i am sorry... i asked more questions lol
Rent first!

Purchase after you know which works best for your situation.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Head

If you like the ISA sound,then check out the 430 Mk II.I did & it became my go to channel,the EQ alone is worth the price of admission.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Rent first!

Purchase after you know which works best for your situation.
Hello
As none of those are actualy in Stock where i am i cant rent them sadly but, i am close to be decided on one of the Chandler Mics
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajavalon View Post
If you like the ISA sound,then check out the 430 Mk II.I did & it became my go to channel,the EQ alone is worth the price of admission.
Yes i liked it, i was surprised by the "Thickness" and smoothness of the ISA One, i will Check out the 430mk2 in case i buy the Chandler Fet mic, but if i end up choosing the REDD it already include its pre amp, which i think i like too (but its difficult to really know as its then part of the sound of the mic).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search