The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Channel Strip Spark/Burnt Smell Channel Strips
Old 7th March 2019
Here for the gear

Channel Strip Spark/Burnt Smell

I am new to using channel strips and just bought an STT-1 Origin by Millennia Media. Earlier today I went to turn on the channel strip and a loud-sounding pop came from the unit accompanied by sparks and the smell of burnt plastic. I am not sure what happened and need clarification. To give details of my exact actions leading up to the incident and settings of the channel strip, I first turned on the audio interface I have which is connected to the channel strip with a balanced 1/4" TRS cable to balanced XLR cable. That is when I then went to turn on the channel strip and the loud popping sound occurred with the sparks. As far as the settings on the channel strip are concerned, everything was off and/or turned to zero. The XLR cable is plugged in to the main out of the channel strip. I s there something I did wrong to have made this happen or is it by chance I received a faulty product? I've attached a photo of the front panel settings. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Channel Strip Spark/Burnt Smell-img_0179.jpg  
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds faulty to me.

Is it possible it was set to the wrong voltage? for example a unit purchased from the US but then powered up in Europe, (a 120v unit plugged in to a 240v supply)
Old 8th March 2019
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscutred View Post

Is it possible it was set to the wrong voltage? for example a unit purchased from the US but then powered up in Europe, (a 120v unit plugged in to a 240v supply)
This...?

Gustav
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search