The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What TT patchbay format?
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Nut
What TT patchbay format?

For those of you that are in the know, between the D-sub and EDAC 3pin, what makes you choose one over the other?
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

d-sub25: much more easy to do on your own and/or get pre-configured cables! (unless it's for live use or endless un/plugging on the d-sub side: i then opt for lk, not edac)
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

db25 is all I know, and it works for me! I have not tried this other form you speak of...

-matthieu
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Edac are the more robust connector they are also much easier to solder/reconfigure (assuming you have the pin extraction tool).

They are also more expensive.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscutred View Post
Edac are the more robust connector they are also much easier to solder/reconfigure (assuming you have the pin extraction tool).

Agreed. If cost is not a problem, EDAC connectors are rugged and reliable. If you're making them yourself, the pins can be soldered to the wires before inserting them into the matrix of holes. This makes construction very straightforward and nowhere near as fiddly as soldering 25 pin D-subs. You can also get pins that crimp rather than solder which I believe NASA deemed even more reliable though you'll need a specific crimp tool for this. Worth mentioning that a small flathead watchmaker's screwdriver can work as an extraction tool if you can't stomach the cost of the extraction tool ( harsh economies of scale here I guess ).

Nonetheless, D-sub is a very cost effective way of making multiple connections and I can't say I've ever had a bit of kit that uses them fail. It's just part of me can't get enthusiastic about a connector that looks like it was used to hook up a consumer printer !
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscutred View Post

Gotcha, thank you sir.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Guru

3 pin is more flexible .. but more expensive ... had both kept Dsub
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Guru

Edac 90 pin connectors. All the way.....
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear
If you have to re-plug more often than once every few weeks, then Edac. If not, DB25.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

EDAC 3 pin will let you reconfigure by individual channels to the back of the patch bay easily. Over time many go through revisions to how they want patchbays set up. EDAC is mechanically more robust and less likely to have corrosion. You will pay more for the better EDAC. There are some old threads here that reported crosstalk with db25 but that talk has died down so don’t know if it was ever proved.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search