The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Sigma change to Crane Song Egret?... Digital Converters
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Head
SSL Sigma change to Crane Song Egret?...

Hi There,

For the last few months I can't decide if I need to change my summing from SSL Sigma to Crane Song Egret?

For sure these are different beasts and both require a bit different workflow and setup.

My current summing setup is Orion32 into Sigma. I love Sigma overall but I feel and know already that Orion32 has low headroom and it is not possible to push Sigma hard on the input stage. I was advised by the local distributor that by no means I should sell Sigma but first of all I need to upgrade my converters to the newest UAD Apollo X 16. But the problem is that for Sigma I would need 2 of them ideally...Of course that would be cool to have in this case 4 AES, 2 Monitoring outputs and 12-core plugin system!!

I was thinking then in other directions what If I sell Sigma and Orion32 and let's say invest to Crane Song Egret and either new Aurora (n) with 16 AES card! or some other interfaces with ADAT to feed Egret (UAD 8, Prism titan, etc..)...and maybe one more Egret or Spider later..

There are not so many reviews and discussions about the Egret..but when I see any Crane Song stuff and Dave Hill himself on YouTube I immediately want to buy all his gear pure GAS or intuition?

Would appreciate your thoughts or/and valuable experience if any..

P.S. I was told also by the local distributor that Dave Hill himself participated somehow in the new Apollo X 16 converters and that basically they are almost same as Dave Hill's own AD and DA quantum converters....I wish it were true...would be great
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

Why not two Egrets *and* Sigma? That gives you some crazy options with automation. That might also tell you everything you need to know about which one you keep.

You'd have 4 stereo mix busses to play with, analog automation, an aux on each Egret, returns for that aux within the Egrets (or send them to Sigma channels and automate them). You'd still need an interface to connect digitally to the Egrets though.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
Why not two Egrets *and* Sigma? That gives you some crazy options with automation. That might also tell you everything you need to know about which one you keep.

You'd have 4 stereo mix busses to play with, analog automation, an aux on each Egret, returns for that aux within the Egrets (or send them to Sigma channels and automate them). You'd still need an interface to connect digitally to the Egrets though.
Thanks for your comment! Yes, that was one of the options! At least to buy one egret first I also have some 500-series summing solutions (purple audio moyin) so this will bring already 4 stereo busses in total!

I guess the main question is what interface to use in this setup..it seems Apollo X 16 + X8 will be one of the best options..to have 2 AES i/o (master AD/DA or H7600), 2 ADATs (for Egret), and enough analogue outputs to feed sigma and 500-series 8 channels summing....hmmmmmm...

Yeah, also incline not to sell Sigma but start investing to a new interface and Egret
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Go aes not adat. There IS an audible difference.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

rubbish!

i agree though that there is not much need for adat these days - or optical spdif. or firewire. or analog summing...
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W View Post
Go aes not adat. There IS an audible difference.
That's a good point, that was also a big question to me..indeed I heard from some ppl that AES is highly recommended over adat...besides for such a beauty as Egret..

The problem is that there are not so many multi AES interfaces (minimum 4 outputs then for Egret plus master ad/da and for my H7600) on the market as far as I did a research at least....so current best option could be Aurora (n) with 16 AES channels option card and Apogee .... a pity UAD do not offer these :( ok there is also Burl Mothership......
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

You could look into lynx, rme and focusrite rednet.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Or Digidesign 888|24 for a cool 75 bucks each. Break out those TDM cards and a G4!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search