The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mytek 8x192 too loud for small mixing room? Studio Monitors
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Head

Mytek 8x192 too loud for small mixing room?

Hi folks. I'm working with a Mytek 8x192 in a small (100 sq ft.) sound-treated mixing room. I LOVE the Mytek, but it is SUPER loud in my small space!

The control knob for the monitors and phones essentially runs from -14db all the way up to +10db (with a big step down to -30db as well which essentially brings the audio down to a whisper).

My issue is that even on the 2nd to lowest setting (-14db), the Mytek is very loud in my monitors and often too loud with headphones. My monitors are set to their lowest output setting, and my phones are 250ohm (Beyerdynamic DT770's).

I realize it's a long shot, but does anyone know of a way to attenuate the volume of the Mytek without coloring the signal? Or perhaps if I'm lucky, maybe Michal or Chebon can chime in?

Thanks guys.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Check the manual: it explains how you can internally calibrate the outputs.
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Addict

The monitoring section is pretty rudimentary mate. I don't think it was intended to be used as a full time monitor controller and the lack of features definitely suggests as much. You can get by in a pinch but it's not a good full time solution. You need to invest in a proper monitor controller. That said you can alter input/output sensitivity within a particular range although the manufacturer explicitly states in the manual that you should leave this well alone. It's page 10 in the manual if you really want to do this. But you will have to decide, arbitrarily, what your studio's "0 VU" reference level will be and you'll need some equipment.

Even if you do this however you'll still be left with a half-assed monitor controller unfortunately. It's great that Mytek have included this because it's better than nothing obviously but it's not going to be able to fill the role of something like the Avocet or Grace M905 full time. My advice is bite the bullet and buy a proper monitor controller.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.m.lad View Post
My issue is that even on the 2nd to lowest setting (-14db), the Mytek is very loud in my monitors and often too loud with headphones. My monitors are set to their lowest output setting, and my phones are 250ohm (Beyerdynamic DT770's).
I don't know about the phones, but do you have the INPUT SENSITVITY on your monitors set correctly, besides their output setting?
Knowing what monitor we're talking about might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.m.lad View Post
I realize it's a long shot, but does anyone know of a way to attenuate the volume of the Mytek without coloring the signal?
Any degree of attenuation can be achieved with a simple DIY L-pad (=two resistors) between the Mytek output and the monitor input, wilthout coloring the signal.

Success.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

of course you can use your mytek's output to feed it to monitors: just use a passive 'controller'/attenuator. not every setup needs an expensive monitor controller with switching functions...
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

You can either use a monitor controller, or not sure what card you're using, I'm using the Mytek Firewire card and the driver has a cue mixer (not sure if all of them have a cue mixer) but if you do, open the driver (the icon looks like a black cube) and in the general settings you'll see tabs named "Out 12" "Out 34" etc. Click on "Out 12" which is for your first Mytek (it's for when you have multiple units daisy chained).

Once you click on "Out 12", it'll open the mixer and on the right at the bottom you'll see a box marked "Direct Out". It should be checked and all the faders grayed out and you can't touch them. If you uncheck that box, you'll now have control over the faders and all the way on the right you'll see a fader and level bars for "Out 12". Lower that fader. That's the volume of the master output going to the knob. DON'T check the "Direct Out" box again because then the faders disable and you go back to the volume you get at full blast.

Alternatively why don't you just lower the volume of your masterbus in your daw while you're working? That's what I do anyway - I set the fader halfway so that I have a lot of play in the volume knob on my mytek to mitigate that volume jump problem. When it comes time to export the mixdown, I just remind myself to set the bus volume fader back to zero.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

I use a Mytek 8x192 since 2012 and I have never had problems with the volume control. Calibrated as the manufacturer suggests (-15 db = 0vu) in the second position I have -76db spl in the sweet spot at 1m from my Amphion. Could there be better volume control? Sure, but it works for me without problems.
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Head

Thank you all so much for your input. This has been hugely helpful. My goal in choosing the Mytek was in having great converters with a minimalist workflow where I don't have to deal with ITB software mixers or software routing outside of the DAW. But it seems there will still have to be a little fuss--either by way of an external monitor controller, passive attenuator, or utilization of the software cue mixer. (And yes, both the output AND input sensitivity of my monitors are set to the lowest setting.)

I previously used a Metric Halo ULN-8, which is probably more suited for what I do, since I do tracking here as well (with 500 series outboard). But I've run into enough hiccups with the MIO software that I made the decision to purchase the Mytek and not spend anymore of my time troubleshooting software issues.

Well it looks like I have some research to do to find a minimalistic solution that suits my workflow. Thank you all again for your thoughts. Much appreciated!
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

A -12db passive line level attenuator can be a efective solution. You can find many in the web.
I recently bought a new 8x192 gray face. Looking inside, I saw that the volume potentiometer is Elma. The new one has a more consistent feel than the old one and works very well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search