The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 5059 v Portico II MBP? Digital Converters
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

Neve 5059 v Portico II MBP?

Folks, looking for comments/suggestions on best way to incorporate analog warmth into my hybrid recording setup; willing to upgrade my home studio piecemeal and trying to determine the next big purchase. Background is: I record mainly early (1960s) reggae, rocksteady, ska, and need to bring in some low end warmth. Currently tracking to my DAW (for now, more on that later) and then running from my Interface to a transparent lower-end mixing console (Soundcraft GB series). Very little mixing or signal processing in the DAW whatsoever. Eventual goal is to push it all to two track tape at the end, and eventually "upgrade" from DAW tracking to 16 track...at that point I'd have an all analog recording chain, my dream.

Now in the middle of that journey, I am considering picking up a new piece of gear to upgrade my final mixdown to obtain that warmth: Will be routing from the DAW to the Soundcraft GB mixer and now considering options to route from there to something special -- either stems (bus outputs from the Soundcraft, not the DAW) to the Neve 5059, the 5060, or going straight out of the mains on the Soundcraft to the Portico MBP. Two track final mixdown thereafter. Some outs from the Soundcraft will be stereo stems from a bus output (like drums); others will be mono line-level instruments (like a synth) that I want to pan in the final mix.

Problem with the 5060 in my setup is that it seems optimized for only stereo ins (any mono inputs remain just that - mono, in the center of the mix) and I'd be relying on the Soundcraft's DirOuts, which are mono. No bueno.

5059 seems like it might get me closer (takes monos and allows panning to the stereo bus), but if all I'm after here is purely the warmth from the blue/red silk and the output transformers, not sure what benefit I get from all of the summing prior to the output (especially since I can mix down in the Soundcraft).

That leads me to consider the MBP (mixing down in the Soundcraft and sending a two-channel mix to the MBP) where (I think) I'd get the same analog benefit including silk, good transformers, plus a host of other functionality (Limiter, Stereo Field Manipulation, Compression, etc).

Am I missing something? Routing aside, do the 5059, 5060, and the Portico II MBP all provide the same general analog warmth and coloring from the silk? If so, seems like, for what I'm after, the Portico II would provide me all of that and more?
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Head

I was in a similar position a few years ago. My mixer was a Midas Venice. I now own both the mbp and the 5059. I got the mbp first and it changed my world. It will add a weight and depth that will make you wonder how you ever lived without it. And you can track thru it. It makes everything larger than life. If I was you I’d get the mbp first. I love the 5059 but the mbp will be a more dramatic upgrade.
Old 1st March 2019
JAT
Lives for gear
The best way to get warmth is to record it that. Mixing can add it, esp with mbp. Many transformer comps/ex’s will give weight and warmth (I love RND sound). Still, a 1073 from the gitgo should bring a smile.
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyplex View Post
I was in a similar position a few years ago. My mixer was a Midas Venice. I now own both the mbp and the 5059. I got the mbp first and it changed my world. It will add a weight and depth that will make you wonder how you ever lived without it. And you can track thru it. It makes everything larger than life. If I was you I’d get the mbp first. I love the 5059 but the mbp will be a more dramatic upgrade.
You got rid of the Midas?
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwazi View Post
You got rid of the Midas?
No I still have the Midas. Mainly for monitor control and sometimes I use the preamps for extras. I go from my Spl Madison 16 channels into the Neve 5059, then into the mbp, from there I go to a splitter box and send 1 stereo pair back to my ad converter to re-record my mix in my daw and 1 stereo pair back to the Midas for monitoring.
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyplex View Post
No I still have the Midas. Mainly for monitor control and sometimes I use the preamps for extras. I go from my Spl Madison 16 channels into the Neve 5059, then into the mbp, from there I go to a splitter box and send 1 stereo pair back to my ad converter to re-record my mix in my daw and 1 stereo pair back to the Midas for monitoring.
Got it. Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Addict

I have both. I’d get the MBP first, you’ll notice more weight and depth immediately
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear
To echo Classic, I own both and would recommend the MBP first for the same reason.
Old 11th March 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks all, very helpful advice. Leaning toward good mic pres and the MBP based on the feedback.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search