The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What two mic combo do you prefer for electric guitar? Dynamic Microphones
Old 28th February 2019
Here for the gear

What two mic combo do you prefer for electric guitar?

What’s your favorite one-two punch to mic an electric guitar amp?
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Sony c37a and Sennheiser 409
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

beyer m160 + senn md421
Old 28th February 2019
Here for the gear

As far as new microphones, I’ve gathered the Royer R-121 is a popular contender. I’m hot on its trail and considering my options for the second mic compliment in a SM57 or something in that vain. Thoughts?
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear
Depends what you are looking for. For two mic setups, it depends if you want the room sound. I typically up up 3, then pick two.

Moving coil and ribbon right next to the cab and a Condeser for away. If you can only use two, pick two of the three.

I start by placing the moving coil right where it picks up the most buzz from the amp while not being played....the hot spot on the speaker.

Out of my locker I like:
Moving coil: MD409-U3, Sony FV-300, RE38
Ribbon: Coles 4038, RM5(bublebee) , Would use a Royer 121 if I had one.
Condenser: Groove tubes MD3 or MD1A, Soundelux U95S, Sony C55P
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

The Royer 121 and 57 blend is exponentially better than either on it’s own, although those are options too.
Put a condenser up at ear height where you like to stand and blend it all to taste.
Old 28th February 2019
My go to is sm57 taped to a sennheiser 441.

Works on both clean and distorted guitar cab/combo. Also kills on snare top.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Boring, but 57 and 421 seldom fail to deliver. In semi open back cabs have been using often 2 sm57 one in the front one in the back with good results. Sometimes even a tlm 103 at the back.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
Boring, but 57 and 421 seldom fail to deliver. In semi open back cabs have been using often 2 sm57 one in the front one in the back with good results. Sometimes even a tlm 103 at the back.
I want to try the front back 57s. How do you position the rear mic? Exactly opposite of the front mic or something else?
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Guru

An EV 666 up close and something else a few feet back (and maybe pointed at the opposite wall, depending).
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

EV 635a & Shure SM57.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I want to try the front back 57s. How do you position the rear mic? Exactly opposite of the front mic or something else?
Lately I am just putting them facing each other directly, exactly opposite. Otherwise things can get phasey, which sometimes can be useful but usually not for my needs. I've learnt this from hard rock guys but it turns out that this is great also to give solid low mids/end to clean tones.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

none ..1 mic..its a speaker not a drum kit
Old 1st March 2019
Sm-7b up close. If you are doing an ambient mic Fet47 or ribbon mic works great. I haven’t tried it yet but the new Chandler TG mic might be a winner in that application.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

AEA44/Beyer M88. I like to run the M88 through a pre that I can overload the tranny then mix that under the 44 and ride it up in fill sections.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Ribbon up close and a 414 a few feet back.
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Addict

SM7b + 121 with a Little Labs IBP box is usually my starting point. If I want more detail, I'll swap the SM7 for a 441, or even a Schoeps CMC54 depending on the sound I'm after.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

I do love how a 121 and 57 go together.
Old 1st March 2019
U 47 fet..... + nothing
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Depends, for rhythm I’ll use a Sennheiser 409 or 906 up close to the speaker and a Gefell UM70 3 to 4 foot back. Hard pan the close mic to one side and room to the other.

Also depends on the amp, some amps chorus using two speakers, in that case one microphone doesn’t do the amp or player justice. I just had a friend bring over his new custom Magnatone amp and I threw a 906 on one speaker... oops. See pictures below. Makes for fun hearing the guitar go in and out but ruined the recordings I did that night.

Also depends on the track itself and what the tone should be as to what microphones I would choose. Until the amp, guitar and player are set up I keep several options at the ready.
Attached Thumbnails
What two mic combo do you prefer for electric guitar?-b89da2f1-e65b-416a-85eb-08ee4e020ed9.jpg   What two mic combo do you prefer for electric guitar?-0414cd3f-2648-42b9-a863-898a2b0d2313.jpg  
Old 2nd March 2019
500 series nutjob

re-15
done.
Old 11th March 2019
Here for the gear

Royer R-121 and a Mojave MA-301fet
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Royer R-122V and Sony C37A

Dave/Suspect Studios

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search