The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Zulu vs Fatso Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Zulu vs Fatso

It sounds like an epic battle between two mexican wrestlers, but what i would really like to know is how the “tape like proprieties” of both compare.

I used to have the fatso some 10 years ago and i really liked it but i had to sell it to finance other gear and now have a Handsome Zulu that i absolutely adore (where’s that modular multi-track zulu, Langston? I need at least 8 channels of the thing...) but have been lusting for a fatso recently.

My memory and ears are not good enough for me to remeber how the Fatso sounded more than 10 years ago so i was wondering for someone who uses or has both what are their opinion is?

Does the Zulu do relatively the same thing as the fatso relating to the tape like simulation (obviously ignoring the compressor) or does the fatso brings some flavour that is still worth getting? - i remeber i loved the fatso on bass and drums, but i have the same reaction with the Zulu.

For the price of a second hand fatso i can probably get a couple of Zulus, giving me 6 channels, so, what do you think about this?

(and before someone mentions other boxes i also have the Silver Bullet, super 15, HG-2, some overstayer stuff, etc. im specifically looking for the tape-transformer like sound)

Thanks!

Last edited by casiotone; 27th February 2019 at 04:47 PM..
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

As you've got The Silver Bullet, Super 15, HG-2 and some overstayer stuff, you obviously got money.
So why not get a proper tape machine if that's the ultimate sound you're after?!
They are all great machines but I found that nothing will sound like tape but a tapemachine.
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
As you've got The Silver Bullet, Super 15, HG-2 and some overstayer stuff, you obviously got money.
So why not get a proper tape machine if that's the ultimate sound you're after?!
They are all great machines but I found that nothing will sound like tape but a tapemachine.
Well, i don't have money cause i bought the Silver Bullet, Super 15, HG-2 and some overstayer stuff.
I thought was very clearly implied in the post that i can afford either a second hand fatso or two zulus.

I have about 10 reasons for not having a tape machine (besides not actually having money), but the main one is, i'm not looking for the sound of tape, im looking to round my transients and beef up my low end.

But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

I have a few Zulus and the UBK Fatso.

If you are talking strictly tape emulation, it’s the Zulu.

But if you can swing a UBK Fatso, they do so much other fantastic stuff as well as “solve the same problems that tape does”. It doesn’t sound like tape exactly per se, but terrific at solving problems like harsh hi end and s***** upper mids.

Then the compression is top notch on top of it.

So, this isn’t exactly the either/or you were looking for, but I’d say keep buying Zulu channels, and don’t hesitate to also pick up a UBK Fatso specifically.
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
I have a few Zulus and the UBK Fatso.

If you are talking strictly tape emulation, it’s the Zulu.

But if you can swing a UBK Fatso, they do so much other fantastic stuff as well as “solve the same problems that tape does”. It doesn’t sound like tape exactly per se, but terrific at solving problems like harsh hi end and s***** upper mids.

Then the compression is top notch on top of it.

So, this isn’t exactly the either/or you were looking for, but I’d say keep buying Zulu channels, and don’t hesitate to also pick up a UBK Fatso specifically.
Great, thanks for sharing.

Yeah, it's that "harshness solving" i was trying to remember. Zulu also does that quite well, but my memory tells me that the Fatso does that somewhat more... dynamically?

Never used the UBK one, it has different compressor curves, right?
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by casiotone View Post
Great, thanks for sharing.

Yeah, it's that "harshness solving" i was trying to remember. Zulu also does that quite well, but my memory tells me that the Fatso does that somewhat more... dynamically?

Never used the UBK one, it has different compressor curves, right?
WAY different. There’s a video or two that will give you a sense online.

Yes, the warmth circuit is a nice way to adjust and get visual confirmation of what you’re doing in smoothing out the high end

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search