The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice to newbie: TG2 vs GTQ2 for heavy guitars 500 Series Preamps
Old 26th February 2019
Here for the gear

Advice to newbie: TG2 vs GTQ2 for heavy guitars

HI All,
long time silent reader of this great forum, I finally took the plunge for my first post.

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I need a very quick advice.
I am on two interesting opportunities on the used-market:
Aurora Audio GTQ2 vs Chandler TG2
Aurora being slightly more expensive.

The preamp will be exclusively used for recording elec guitars cabinets.
Mics I already have: SM57, MD421
I am planning to buy either an r121 or the KSM313

I am hobbyist musician, not professional.
Guitar sound: think Petrucci, to make it easy.

I understood that TG2 is wonderful on guitar cabs, very mid forward
The GTQ2 would be more open in the bottom and highs.

But what would you recommend?
It would be my only high quality pre, so I would eventually use it also on acoustic and classical guitars
But priority is heavy electrics.

Thanks all for your advice!!!
Old 26th February 2019
din
Gear Maniac

Welcome!
I'm kind of obsessed with getting heavy guitar sounds and am always trying to get a bigger, heavier tone. Yea, yea, it starts with the player, the instrument, the amp, yadda, yadda (no ****, pedants), but ceteris paribus, here's what I have found. In my opinion, don't waste your money on a 121, unless maybe you want to use it for a room to be blended in for slower tempos (even then there are better mic's for that). I made that expensive mistake. I bought the R121 before buying MD421 and was pretty underwhelmed with its performance for heavy guitar sounds. I've tried a ton of stuff and keep coming back to the SM57 + MD421 combo. It really covers a lot of ground for heavy guitar tones. I'm also a big fan of using a single M88, when you take the time to get the placement just right--against the grill it gives way too much proximity effect, but as little as 6 inches away can make it sound too thin. It's tough to get right, but it's one of my favorite guitar sounds when I get it right.

You asked about preamps, so here's my opinion. I have two different Neve-ish pre's: Avedis MA5 and Stam 1073MPA(Sowter). Nice amps, but not my favorite for heavy guitar at all. The MA5 was too polite, almost dull. I dunno. The Stam was OK. Didn't test too thoroughly, but it didn't beat my Chandlers in initial tryout so I didn't really give it much thought after that. Overall, I like the TG-2 the best for electric guitar. It really ****in rules and the summing feature is so perfect for combining two mic's! For doom, sludge, or post-metal type tones, nothing beats the Chandler Germanium, in my experience! Seriously fat tone. If you want to get really silly, push in the THICC button. For thrash metal guitars, I really like the VP312's and VP28's.

I'm also wondering what to try next. I've never tried a tube preamp on guitar. I saw some Universal Audio ad recently of Joel Hamilton recommending the UA610 for guitar. I'm keen to try that now, if that's what he used on the Battle of Mice and A Storm of Light albums. Josh Graham's guitar sounds on those albums is ****ing massive. Also read that Philip Cope sang praises of the A-Designs Pacifica on guitar and the tones on those early Baroness records are pretty gnarly, so I wanna try one of those too. Of course, the mic and everything before make more difference than the pre, but pre's can make a hell of a difference!

Be sure come back and update us with your own findings in the future :D
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovia76 View Post
HI All,
long time silent reader of this great forum, I finally took the plunge for my first post.

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I need a very quick advice.
I am on two interesting opportunities on the used-market:
Aurora Audio GTQ2 vs Chandler TG2
Aurora being slightly more expensive.

The preamp will be exclusively used for recording elec guitars cabinets.
Mics I already have: SM57, MD421
I am planning to buy either an r121 or the KSM313

I am hobbyist musician, not professional.
Guitar sound: think Petrucci, to make it easy.

I understood that TG2 is wonderful on guitar cabs, very mid forward
The GTQ2 would be more open in the bottom and highs.

But what would you recommend?
It would be my only high quality pre, so I would eventually use it also on acoustic and classical guitars
But priority is heavy electrics.

Thanks all for your advice!!!
Petrucci recorded on Neves, SSLs and APIs. Probably unconsciously but if you research the studios DT recorded at, the consoles they used are well documented.
Old 27th February 2019
Here for the gear

I am happy to hear that the combo SM57 / MD421 is a nice one
and I can save the cost of an r121...

Yes, I know Petrucci used a lot Neve preamps.
For example in his JP2C official video he clearly states that he used Neve 1081 preamps.
And a lot of other guitarists I love (Steve Stevens, Slash, Vai, ...) claims to use BAE 1073 preamps.
Maybe it is pure marketing...I do not know...

THis is why I was also interested in the Aurora GTQ2, other than the TG2

Anybody has experience with the GTQ2 on high gain guitar sounds?
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

The BAE 1073 is one of the greatest pres for rock/metal guitars. Listen to the latest Metallica record and you can hear the sound of that pre (I think with the 1200 Ohm engaged). It can go darker depending on the impedance settings you choose. From the 1073 clones it is my fav for heavy guitars because it can either be full range and open or darker depending on the impedance settings alone: 1200 vs 300. The Heritage audio 73 is also great, will give you a bit more high end roll off and you can't go wrong with API or SSL either. Have heard great guitars tones through SSL VHD series also. Even the 610 for heavy guitars can be great if you want a mid forward/crunchy tone with a pretty natural high shelf roll off. Chandler is great for sludge as mentioned but both the chandler and the 610 would not be my first choices for DT kind of sounds.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by din View Post
I'm also wondering what to try next. I've never tried a tube preamp on guitar. I saw some Universal Audio ad recently of Joel Hamilton recommending the UA610 for guitar. I'm keen to try that now, if that's what he used on the Battle of Mice and A Storm of Light albums. Josh Graham's guitar sounds on those albums is ****ing massive.
Interesting that you say this, I could swear since long that I hear the 610 all over the place in the guitars of those records. The tone is very typical of it. That hugeness with rolled of top end with nice and sheen 3 K at the same time
Old 28th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
The BAE 1073 is one of the greatest pres for rock/metal guitars. Listen to the latest Metallica record and you can hear the sound of that pre (I think with the 1200 Ohm engaged).
Would you do with the version with or without Filters?
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovia76 View Post
Would you do with the version with or without Filters?
I am not high passing anymore on the way in because I think the converters can handle that so well. And often I don't high pass the guitar at all even in the daw because I already capture with the proper amount of low end. They are both great. I have a couple of MPs without filters and love them.
Old 6th March 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks all for your help.
I have finally ordered a BAE 1073 MPF Dual.
Very excited to test it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search