The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VF-14?
Old 26th February 2019
VF-14?

Howdy Slutz,

This VF-14 has been on eBay for a while. The seller has dropped the price numerous times. I know it's not a "M" version, but it might be a good backup tube for my three U-47s. What am I missing?

TELEFUNKEN VF14 with tests. | eBay
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

What you are missing is a couple of things:

1. "Returns: Seller does not accept returns". What could be worse? Arguing back and forth that the noise is not within Neumann specs? Yes it is, no it is not...

2. Meaningless graphs. There is currently no tube tester I know of that predicts performance in ultra-high impedance converter applications. Tube testers test for transconductance, gain, etc; conditions present in amplifying applications, not impedance conversions.

3. Microphonics. No information or assurance is given that the tube will not ring when the mic body is excited by sound waves, and the microphonics will mess up your recordings.

4. Original box. How would we know? The top panel of the box, where the tube's serial number is recorded, is missing. This box could have come from anywhere. A credible link of box and tube (indicating perhaps that the tube was a spare, with little or no prior usage) is not established.

5. See Number one. If that tube is a bust, you are out a lot of money, and have no recourse. Do you really want to argue your case with an eBay seller located in Israel?

Here is how I would approach this: get an unconditional money-back guarantee (let's say ten days after receiving the tube) from the seller in writing, and do this on the eBay messaging site, to have a written record eBay recognizes as valid. Run the tube at prescribed voltages for a week. Measure the plate voltage (should be higher than 31VDC), listen for noise, knock the housing of the mic and listen for microphonics. There is not better way to test a VF14, new or used.

See more here: Telefunken VF14: How to Buy With Confidence

Last edited by Klaus; 26th February 2019 at 07:57 PM..
Old 26th February 2019
As they say in Japan, you Da Man!

Klaus, thanks for your many years of fab info on Gearslutz. You Rock!

Last edited by Timothy Powell; 27th February 2019 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

"Tubey or not tubey" That IS the question!

I hope Timothy, you end up with a great VF-14.
Chris
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

I so hate shopping for VF14s...

The one thing which would prevent me from looking further into this is the no-return policy. As Klaus mentioned, you won't really know what you're getting until it's installed and tested by YOU, and if you're unhappy with its performance then you're stuck reselling it.

If the seller would be willing to take it back then it's a fair offer. If not, no sale. That's my feeling.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search