The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a better preamp pairing for my c800g Single-Channel Preamps
Old 24th February 2019
Looking for a better preamp pairing for my c800g

Hi everyone,

I was planning to switch my microphone but after I got a primacoustic flexi-booth, I got the sound dry enough for the c800g.

I'm currently using the Lachapell 500 series preamp and Aurora Audio Stinger with it, along with a Tubetech Cl1b. Anyone out there had a good mic/preamp pairing with the c800g with a 500 series preamp or a standalone preamp?

I'm looking for something that's not too harsh sounding. I like what I am hearing right now but I'm looking for a preamp pairing that's even better than what I already have.

Any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Last edited by hellohead; 24th February 2019 at 04:38 PM..
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

neve 1073
avalon m5/2022

these with cl1b is what i normally see here in LA
Old 24th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
neve 1073
avalon m5/2022

these with cl1b is what i normally see here in LA
Avalon m5 is a pre I've never owned but rented and tried, I really like it with the c800g, might grab a used one somewhere.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

The C-800G will sound good with just about any pre, Have never used it with the Lachapell.
Been using it with Avalons for years. Not the tube ones but the ones mentioned above: M2, M4, M5/AD2022
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear
I had a C800(non-g) at one time. It did very well with an Avalon 747 and Grace 801.

But the 800 is very different from the 800G that I have never had the pleasure of using.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear
Between the 2 preamp options you currently own, you are pretty well covered. What would you like to improve about the sound you are currently getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Hi everyone,

I was planning to switch my microphone but after I got a primacoustic flexi-booth, I got the sound dry enough for the c800g.

I'm currently using the Lachapell 500 series preamp and Aurora Audio Stinger with it, along with a Tubetech Cl1b. Anyone out there had a good mic/preamp pairing with the c800g with a 500 series preamp or a standalone preamp?

I'm looking for something that's not too harsh sounding. I like what I am hearing right now but I'm looking for a preamp pairing that's even better than what I already have.

Old 26th February 2019
I'm looking for a preamp that can give more intimacy. Maybe cleaner?
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Guru

Martech MSS-10
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Try with Chandler REDD...
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Your Stinger should work fine with that Mic, others have used it with Audio GT’Q2’s. Which the Stinger is one channel of .
Old 26th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Try with Chandler REDD...
I've made a few songs with the Redd pre that have done really well on Spotify. I dont know if I want to spend the money again. Shouldn't have sold it.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear
Gainstaging the Lachapelle accordingly with proper mic placement should provide intimacy in spades...assuming it's present to begin with. Mastering the in/output stages of both pres should get you where you wanna go.

Quote:
I'm looking for a preamp that can give more intimacy. Maybe cleaner?
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear
This is a weird one to say, especially given the price disparity, but try running is through a Focusrite ISA preamp.

Time and time again some the most "sonically pliable" recordings I've gotten to mix were recorded through one of those preamps. They don't over push the low-mids and they seem to smooth out hyped high-end mics, producing recordings that take EQ and/or de-essing better than others. I know it's not a very slutty reco, but IDK, it works.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear
To make stuff sound close, I use an old Forsell Mellinia.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi everyone,

V76M stock. The only pre that not only lets me tolerate the sony, but actually love it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search