The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tube mic's Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd February 2019
  #1
tube mic's

Just read in another thread that moving warmed up tube mic's is a no no. Is this true and what limitation do tube mic's have in these regards?
Old 23rd February 2019
  #2
I move mine a lot when they are on. I don’t see how you could do the job any other way...
Old 24th February 2019
  #3
I got from the persons comment that movement producing shock to the tube could be a problem. But I quess not.
Old 24th February 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

I guess it's about as general as saying "don't go over bumps in your car". You'll be fine, move the mic around...
Old 24th February 2019
  #5
Gear Addict
 
pongmaster's Avatar
 

move them around as long as you want as any other microphone. microphones in general have to be handled with care.
if you would experience a problem, than the mic is either damaged or very badly designed.
some microphones, like some ribbons have to be handled in regards to their construction, for example a ribbon mic in its case, when closing the case-lid superfast you can actually damage the ribbonfoil from the airpressure, but even that doesn't happen much.
Old 24th February 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
If you are working with very high end mic's that have tubes costing over $1,000 I could see there being a concern. Not the case for most of us mortals.
Old 24th February 2019
  #7
Gear Addict
 
pongmaster's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
If you are working with very high end mic's that have tubes costing over $1,000 I could see there being a concern. Not the case for most of us mortals.
there is only one tube that costs over 1000 in a mic and thats a vf14, and in a u47, the tube is perfectly shockmounted. so no, no concern here.
we have to handle almost all mics with care, you can can do the same shizzle with an u47 as you would with an u87...
Old 25th February 2019
  #8
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
and watch out for the singer that Smacks your Tube Mic .... yes, she did it .... you can imagine what i thought at that moment !! WTF comes to mind !! haha

take care whilemoving Tube and Ribbon Mics especially !!
Old 25th February 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Then must have been a fresh tube!
Chris
Old 25th February 2019
  #10
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Then must have been a fresh tube!
Chris
that dam mic, just kept on working just fine !! it was the C12VR in all it's fabulous sort of great reputation ... mine sounded good to begin with and now just something i would have never thought of !!!
Old 25th February 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Along with a pristine U47/251/C12...
Would love to try out that model someday.
Chris
Old 25th February 2019
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pongmaster View Post
there is only one tube that costs over 1000 in a mic and thats a vf14, and in a u47, the tube is perfectly shockmounted. so no, no concern here.
we have to handle almost all mics with care, you can can do the same shizzle with an u47 as you would with an u87...
Well respectfully, this isn't accurate, one of the most popular and classic tubes is a Tele AC701k [M50, M49, KM53/4/6, SM2/SM23,Schoeps 221's, M269's,C60's, ELAM251(not e), etc etc..] is between $1,000-$2,000 last time I checked. And it's VERY hard to find a real k [selected for low noise AND low microphonics], and a real red tipped [same indications re noise and microphonics] NOS stock VF14? Lord at least $2,500? $4,000?

Also proper 6AU6 and 6072a [5 Star GE for example] are closing in on $75-100/ea, while a different decimal point, still not cheap! Any good NOS 50's RCA, Tele, Tung Sol, Amperex, etc. are at a premium these days.

FYI my prices may be off somewhat +/-but not more than 25% I suspect depending on country and supplier.

Things that can damage a tube in a "hot mic" [aside from Will Ferrell lol] include rapid temperature changes and shock or impact -it may not kill the tube but won't extend its life, improper voltage or brownouts, not setting the plate and grid carefully enough, ps fails, etc. To others points the "wind" from moving it rapidly [or an open door] can stretch ribbons or stress condensor capsules. All this being said we HAVE to move our mic's around for position and sound and often want to warm them up for 30 minutes before use, but we are not usually idle in the studio while that happens, so they might be in a corner or out of the line of fire while they warm up and settle down. As others have said - just be careful and you will be fine.

Happy Recording-
Jonathan
Old 25th February 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

Make sure the connector doesn’t get jostled or yanked at and you’re probably good.

And though it is a good idea not to knock tubes around when they are hot, some tubes are supposedly able to take a lot of shock according to the spec sheets, especially the subminis- generally speaking.
Old 25th February 2019
  #14
Gear Addict
 
pongmaster's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well respectfully, this isn't accurate, one of the most popular and classic tubes is a Tele AC701k [M50, M49, KM53/4/6, SM2/SM23,Schoeps 221's, M269's,C60's, ELAM251(not e), etc etc..] is between $1,000-$2,000 last time I checked. And it's VERY hard to find a real k [selected for low noise AND low microphonics], and a real red tipped [same indications re noise and microphonics] NOS stock VF14? Lord at least $2,500? $4,000?

Also proper 6AU6 and 6072a [5 Star GE for example] are closing in on $75-100/ea, while a different decimal point, still not cheap! Any good NOS 50's RCA, Tele, Tung Sol, Amperex, etc. are at a premium these days.

FYI my prices may be off somewhat +/-but not more than 25% I suspect depending on country and supplier.

Things that can damage a tube in a "hot mic" [aside from Will Ferrell lol] include rapid temperature changes and shock or impact -it may not kill the tube but won't extend its life, improper voltage or brownouts, not setting the plate and grid carefully enough, ps fails, etc. To others points the "wind" from moving it rapidly [or an open door] can stretch ribbons or stress condensor capsules. All this being said we HAVE to move our mic's around for position and sound and often want to warm them up for 30 minutes before use, but we are not usually idle in the studio while that happens, so they might be in a corner or out of the line of fire while they warm up and settle down. As others have said - just be careful and you will be fine.

Happy Recording-
Jonathan
well, you said not much new that wasn't similarly stated above, especially on the care of the mics.
i don't count those ebay deals of good ac701k as a measure, tough i like when that stuff goes up in price, i have about 16 vintage neumann tube mics.
but with the RIGHT contacts, you can get a new old stock ac701k, measured and tested and selected for WAY less than you would imagine. and yes, in the usa thats pretty impossible pricewise, you're right on that
Old 25th February 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
BIG BUDDHA's Avatar
i try not to move any of my tube guitar amps when recording. Fender twin, Boggie, Goldentone.

if i have to move them, i then let them settle down for at least 2 or 3 minuites, before they are good to use again.

i found that anything tube doesnt like knocks and bumps or movement.

and tube mics can often sound weird for a while after you move them. they often need to settle down as well.
sometimes just for a 5 or 10 seconds and sometimes 2 or 3 minuites.

if you are unsure as to how your particular unit is in regard to movement, then just record the signal, and move the mic around, and look at the waveform.

i have noticed a few crackles and pops, when moving tube mics. sometimes crackly static noise for a bit.

also i notice sometimes different tubes, are more, or less, effected by movement. some dont seem to mind and others do.

tubes are tubes, variable things.

Buddha
Old 26th February 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
Mmmh what about all those Russian Mig fighters with tube electronics (as protection against a thermonuclear electronic pulse destroying IC's)

Take off and landing are one heck of a bumb!!

Ok slightly different type of tubes, but still ....

I sometimes move my tube mics about whilst on and just do it as carefully as I would with any mic tube or not.
Old 28th February 2019
  #17
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

i have had drunks trip kick know bang and watched tube amps get totally abussed while on gigs. i never worried about the tubes, but i also kept lots of spares on hand.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Royal Dee / Newbie Audio Engineering + Production Question Zone
7
SeniorityFedup / So Much Gear, So Little Time
8
homestudioguy / So Much Gear, So Little Time
9
1484 / High End
14

Forum Jump
Forum Jump