The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL G-Compressor or Summing Mixer? Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

SSL G-Compressor or Summing Mixer?

I'm currently mixing another simple, late 90's style rap album. I have about $2000 to spend and would like to add something fun to the mixing/recording process.

I'm keeping it super raw and simple using only:

Neumann U87Ai
Tube Tech MP1A Preamp
Tube Tech CL1B Compressor
Lynx Hilo
Technics 1200
Akai MPC-1000
MacBook Pro
Apple Logic Pro
Waves SSL Bundle
Softube Tape

I'm looking to add either an SSL G Compressor or a small summing mixer.

Which do you think would serve me best in terms of sound and fun factor?
Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

SSL G comp will bring the mix together a little.

it wont be a massive difference, but it will add thickness and weight if you use it right.

there are some that have sidechain, and i find this a good feature.

the sidechain can filter off some of the low frequencies from the detector circuit, which drives the gain reduction. so kick, and low bass dont activate gain reduction as much. good for the type of music you are doing. otherwise the mix can get squashed every time the kick hits.

i have the HI Voltage SSL-9000 comp and they are around a grand.

i find it to be a good unit. i will add some pics.

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
SSL G-Compressor or Summing Mixer?-hi-voltage-spl-neve-8803-eq.jpg   SSL G-Compressor or Summing Mixer?-hi-voltage-close-1.jpg   SSL G-Compressor or Summing Mixer?-hi-voltage-close-2.jpg  
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Maniac

You don’t need sh*t. Save the money or spend it on something worthwhile, like chicks and powder....
Old 23rd February 2019
Gear Maniac

Lando, if you don't have an SSL bus compressor now you won't regret getting one. It can be used on virtually everything as well, piano, drums, guitar, synths, bass, vocals, etc. Not just mixes.

I have an Audio Scape SSL clone atm that I'm not currently using, it's an awesome compressor. I also have a real SSL and this thing is so close to it. I'm in CT, and if you want just PM me and I can UPS it to you to just play with. It gives such a wide range of sounds from transparent to slammed. If you like this one, I would recommend getting this or a real SSL.

Scott.
Old 23rd February 2019
Deleted 2915a84
Get the original with the DBX chip if you can find one.

FXG384 with DBX has the crunchy sound.

The FXG384 with the THAT chip isn't as crunchy. I had two of these. The guy I bought them from would not part with his DBX unit.

Alternatively, you could get an X-rack chassis and throw in a G-comp. You can add a master bus module and summing cards later if you feel like it. This way you can have BOTH your cake and eat it too!
Old 23rd February 2019
I second the SSl X Rack. The extra ratios on the X Rack compressor is nice and you can save your settings. In time you can build up the X Rack with EQ and Dynamics as well.

I used to sum with my Dangerous D Box but the improved sound I got with my SSl gear made the summing not needed anymore. The SSl and Dangerous are both clean and add sparkle but the SSl also adds punch. The Dangerous adds a little more separation of the instruments as well but I prefer the clean punch of SSl.
Old 25th February 2019
I have both analog summing and the SSL compressor, and my advice is to go for the SSL compressor - it makes much more of a difference to the final sound.
I also would really recommend the SSL G Comp (500-series version) with the internal side-chain / highpass function - it works great and I use it on every mix regardless of genre.
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Addict

Alan Smart C2. It's le magique!
Old 25th February 2019
Audioscape Buss compressor at $650 is a no-brained!
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

I agree that a compressor will make a bigger difference. Wes Audio Dione is a great take on the SSL bus compressor with lots of extras and even plugin control.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

I was just able to grab a brand new 500 series SSL G Compressor from a local guy for only $1500. Gotta love New York sometimes!

I guess now I won’t be investing in the X-Rack series. Perhaps I’ll just grab a Folcrom down the road.

Last edited by Lando Calrissian; 26th February 2019 at 03:35 AM..
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
I was just able to grab a brand new 500 series SSL G Compressor from a local guy for only $1500.
Nice move, you won't regret it
Old 26th February 2019
Deleted 2915a84
Quote:
I was just able to grab a brand new 500 series SSL G Compressor from a local guy for only $1500. Gotta love New York sometimes!

I guess now I won’t be investing in the X-Rack series. Perhaps I’ll just grab a Folcrom down the road.
That’s hot.
Old 26th February 2019
Quote:

Be cool to a mix comparison between the hardware SSL bus comp and the Waves SSL plugin comp (I presume you were using?). I’m considering the same options as you, go for 8 channels of analog summing or a hardware SSL style bus comp, when I upgrade my audio interface.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
������������ Be cool to a mix comparison between the hardware SSL bus comp and the Waves SSL plugin comp (I presume you were using?). I’m considering the same options as you, go for 8 channels of analog summing or a hardware SSL style bus comp, when I upgrade my audio interface.
There's a good comparison of SSL bus compressors in this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...-new-post.html

As far as summing goes, I wish there were a nice 500 series option.

Last edited by Lando Calrissian; 26th February 2019 at 06:35 AM..
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear
There's a few. Here's one.

Access to this page has been denied.

Quote:
As far as summing goes, I wish there was a nice 500 series option.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear
Tried to link the Heritage Audio MCM 8 Mk2
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Get a clone with either Neve or API output stage

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search