The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG Perception 420 and Acoustic Guitar Recording
Old 20th February 2019
AKG Perception 420 and Acoustic Guitar Recording

Hello,

I am new to the Mic World ... I am all ITB Producer and lately I have been wanting to record some Live Acoustic Guitar in my studio ....

I happen to have the AKG Perception 420 Mic ... I tried recording the guitar but everytime I find the take to sound cheap ... the recorded track high end sounds crappy ... I tried dialling in few EQs but still it won't cut it ...

Is it me or there's something I am missing here ...

Help
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
[. . .] Is it me or there's something I am missing here [. . .]
Hi DJ Bechara -

Mostly what I know the AKG Perception 420 only comes from YouTube, and not direct experience - so my comments may not be the most valuable. Apologies for the limitation. And I will let others speak to limitations of this model for your application.

Can you provide more info about the entire device chain from the mics to the speakers/headphones? And also physical attributes like mic placement, room acoustical properties and treatments? What model of guitar/strings and how it is played [fingerstyle, light/heavy pick, etc.]? Has it been recorded on other systems and sounded better? What exactly do you mean by 'sound cheap'? How does the current result differ from what you want the hear?

You mention being new to mics? Have you gone through videos like Neumann's Home Studio series? For example, see:

How to record an Acoustic Guitar with only one Microphone.

Not promoting Neumann, just using this series as an example. Also, apologies for the portions of their series that are too elementary.

Best regards,

Ray H.
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

If you're staying in the budget price range, of around $200 or less...
I'd sell that AKG 420, and get a 3U Audio CM-1
(Black or Teal).
I have an AKG P120, and AKG 200 (very similar) BTW. Along with other/better microphones.
Chris
Old 21st February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
If you're staying in the budget price range, of around $200 or less...
I'd sell that AKG 420, and get a 3U Audio CM-1
(Black or Teal).
I have an AKG P120, and AKG 200 (very similar) BTW. Along with other/better microphones.
Chris
Thank you !

What do you think about the Slate VMS ? I was considering that ... and would I notice a much better quality ?
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

Personally, with a budget of $800-$1000, for vocals/acoustic guitar I'd seriously consider...

Either Lewitt 440, if single pattern is OK.
Or maybe a pair of Lewitt 441 multi-pattern mics
If you might record other instruments (for stereo).
Lots of other options, of course.
Chris
Old 21st February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Personally, with a budget of $800-$1000, for vocals/acoustic guitar I'd seriously consider...

Either Lewitt 440, if single pattern is OK.
Or maybe a pair of Lewitt 441 multi-pattern mics
If you might record other instruments (for stereo).
Lots of other options, of course.
Chris
What about you ? what are you using? if you record acoustic guitar do you have an audio sample ? I think it's the best way to compare ...
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

"Just a singer" here, but have other microphones in my arsenal... Soundelux U195/Oktava 219 &
319/MXL V87 & V69 for the LDC's.

Also have a "quick ear", so can pick out mic characteristics, from just clips.
IMHO there's also a correlation between vocal and acoustic guitar, as to how suited a given LDC is.
Chris
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

I forgot to mention you can "darken" the 420's tone by... Putting it in figure 8.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
It's Unusable to be honest ! the worst purchase ever ... and still can't get my mind on which mic I should buy for some decent acoustic guitar recording

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search