The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kerwax Replica Analog Processors (HW)
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Kerwax Replica

In the next weeks I’d like to buy this interesting tube saturation box. Any users who like to share some experience? How much use do you have for this piece in your studio?
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Addict

I was extremely interested in the Replica last year and arranged for a demo which must have gotten lost in the queue as I never heard anything more.

I asked on GS whether any who had a demo, made a purchase, and there were no responses..

For me, despite decent reviews by well known, accomplished GS members, it seemed best to just let the pursuit go based on silence on the demo and any silent buyers.

If you get one, I look forward to hearing how you like it.

I ended up getting Coil Audio preamps which are exceptional preamps and, have a lot of saturation options; two models, tubes, transformer switching, negative feedback and negative feedback tone shaping.
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Maybe should you contact Kerwax directly. It’s a pro studio here in France with many references available on the web/TV (check their ARTE sessions to get a picture). I don’t understand why he doesn’t push ahead this product, maybe he’s too busy. I’m sure he has hi-res files to share. Anyway, I’m really fond of his work and I’m sure the Replica is a piece of the dream, well at least of the studio
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

I have used the Kerwax Replica extensively and for many weeks. It was provided to me by Don Morris, the RMGI "King of Tape."

It is a very interesting and useful box which acts as a compressor, thickener, dense-ifier, and distortion box all in one.

I liked using it and can tell you that is can be clean sounding while it imparts a sparkle-y tube quality to your mix. It can also fuzz over your mix or some tracks and be useful as a color box in mixing.

But what is the Kerwax a "replica" of??

It is a replica of a tube recording channel from the Kerwax tube mixing console at their French studio.

Unit has input gain and then a "drive" knob that can be engaged whereby extra distortion is dialed in. There is a basic EQ for treble and bass that is really effective at problem solving.

The compressor can be adjusted to be a "bottom up" compressor that brings out background details or as an overall stereo buss compressor. This is where it is really KING.

This box offers sounds that no other box can emulate and that is quite special. However, it is a certain range of compression and thickening that is available. It does NOT provide infinitely variable sound.

The distributors of the Kerwax Replica, Recording The Masters, have hidden this lantern under a hat and have not promoted it as they should have been doing.
It flies under the radar and this is only because here in America the box is not advertised or promoted.

I do know that demos are available from Recording the Masters--try getting in touch with their New York office.

I recommend the Kerwax Replica and I recommend that RTM get with it in promoting this cool tool.
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I have used the Kerwax Replica extensively and for many weeks. It was provided to me by Don Morris, the RMGI "King of Tape."

It is a very interesting and useful box which acts as a compressor, thickener, dense-ifier, and distortion box all in one.

I liked using it and can tell you that is can be clean sounding while it imparts a sparkle-y tube quality to your mix. It can also fuzz over your mix or some tracks and be useful as a color box in mixing.

But what is the Kerwax a "replica" of??

It is a replica of a tube recording channel from the Kerwax tube mixing console at their French studio.

Unit has input gain and then a "drive" knob that can be engaged whereby extra distortion is dialed in. There is a basic EQ for treble and bass that is really effective at problem solving.

The compressor can be adjusted to be a "bottom up" compressor that brings out background details or as an overall stereo buss compressor. This is where it is really KING.

This box offers sounds that no other box can emulate and that is quite special. However, it is a certain range of compression and thickening that is available. It does NOT provide infinitely variable sound.

The distributors of the Kerwax Replica, Recording The Masters, have hidden this lantern under a hat and have not promoted it as they should have been doing.
It flies under the radar and this is only because here in America the box is not advertised or promoted.

I do know that demos are available from Recording the Masters--try getting in touch with their New York office.

I recommend the Kerwax Replica and I recommend that RTM get with it in promoting this cool tool.
Thank you very much for the detailed response and sharing your experience, Plush!
You said you have tried one unit for some weeks... did you actually buy one? If yes do you use it on a regular basis or is it something special but you don’t use it that much?
I’ll definitely try to get it under my fingers
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

No, I did not buy it. The main reason is that I felt it would be very useful in pop music production but I am in the classical recording business. It did thicken and offer appealing compression on my orchestra recordings but this box is aimed at rock and roll and pop music work flow.

Can be used on individual tracks very effectively. Also as a MAJOR SOUND stereo buss comp.
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Addict

Having not thought about the Replica for a while now, I was fuzzy on dates, decided to go back and check my records.
Audio Manger, Frédéric Ménétrier was an excellent communicator via email, answered all of my questions on the Replica, this was May-June 2017.
I called and spoke with Don to arrange a demo, was told I was in the queue and waited patiently for a month before following up with a vm, I never heard back and let it go at that.
Indeed, I would still love to try a Replica for myself. I do very clean acoustic inspirational music and need to hear for myself what is possible with the Replica on my music/gear.

For anyone who hasn't found the Replica sample link on the Kerwax website, here is the direct SoundCloud link Frédéric shared:
KERWAX Replica | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
For anyone who hasn't found the Replica sample link on the Kerwax website, here is the direct SoundCloud link Frédéric shared:
KERWAX Replica | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Some of the SoundCloud clips have random snaps and pops in them. Random as in not program-related. I wonder what's up with that.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Anther interesting take is the more Hifi tone shape tube box from Whitestone audio
Uncheap tho
YouTube
Old 27th February 2019
I love saturation and have many kinds but I didn't like the sound of Kerwax. It sounded nasty. Plus it was a silly size.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search