The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Fet 47 vs real or other alternatives Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Stam Fet 47 vs real or other alternatives

Hi,

We’re in the market for a 47 Fet style mic for kick drum, bass amp or other instrument recording. The Stam offering seems pretty interesting, especially considering the cost of a Neuman reissue >£3K in the UK vs £450 for the Stam...

Anyone used one who’s also familiar with the Neumann and other high end mics?

I’m not concerned if it’s not ‘identical’ to a Neumann, but more interested if it is up there quality wise and equally usable on the same sources... I’ve had mixed results with cheaper ‘clone’ gear such as Warm Audio, and I have no interest in buying something that will ‘do for now’...

I’m trying to put together a mic collection that will last a long time, so would love to hear if you think the Stam is great price regardless, which would mean we could spend more in other areas, or if it’s ok for a price but not really up there with the best so I should hold off and save for something else!

Any thoughts appreciated...
Iain
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Hutch View Post
Any thoughts appreciated...
Iain
Iain - for me, a FET47 is not necessary for my collection, but if it absolutely IS for yours, I'd highly suggest :

Heiserman
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

If you don’t find a good deal on a second hand Neumann, get the Bock.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

That Heiserman looks interesting!

DrBill do you know the mic/have you heard it? It’s twice the Stam but looks more high end through and through....

Thanks!
Iain
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
That Heiserman looks interesting!

DrBill do you know the mic/have you heard it? It’s twice the Stam but looks more high end through and through....

Thanks!
Iain
I have not, but I have friends that I trust implicitly that have and they say it's stunning. Or a stunning as a FET47 can be....

FYI - Heiserman is the guy who is supplying a lot of the boutique capsules to Stam and others.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For singers, both the Heiserman H47 FET and new Bock iFET are terrific!
(yes, I've tried both of them in person)

The Neumann 47 FET is wonderful too, but I wouldn't miss it a bit, with either of those instead.

IMHO all three are excellent "first pulls", on a otherwise sibilant and/or "breathy" singer (like me).

Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thanks guys - this is very helpful!

Chris, having heard both the bock and the H47, would you put them on a par? At the pre sale price the H47 is almost half the price - any reason to spend double for the Bock? The H47 seems like a no brainier!

Thanks,
Iain
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wow, I didn't realize Heiserman was still doing the $1199 pre-order thing.
If budget is a concern, yep that's a great buy.

IMHO the H47 is a little darker/fuller than the Neumann U47 FET
The IFET is amazing too, and will "cut through" a dense mix more than the other two. Also it has the FAT switch, which is super cool. I really dig it on my U195.

To be fair to Stam, haven't directly tried their SA-47 FET, with the Maiku capsule.
In any event Bock and Heiserman's capsule work (like Tim Campbell's) is world class. I'm not that familiar with Maiku's work, but it seems well regarded.

If I can justify it later on, I eventually may get both the H47 and the iFET!
(am also tempted by the U99)
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi,
The Stam offering seems pretty interesting, especially considering the cost of a Neuman reissue >£3K in the UK vs £450 for the Stam...

Quote:
I’m not concerned if it’s not ‘identical’ to a Neumann, but more interested if it is up there quality wise
Let's look at these two quotes from the perspective of an alien who, though super AI-intelligent, has no further knowledge of microphones.

In the first quote, two tools are mentioned that are meant for the same job, with one costing more than six times the other. The second quote tells us that the quality of the cheap mic should be roughly the same of the 666% more expensive microphone.

So now the alien calculates what could account for the seeming discrepancies:

1. the cheap mic must have been stolen, and needs to go fast

2. the expensive mic is a fraud and has been fooling buyers for 40 years, using a capsule that's been fooling buyers for 60 years

3. the cheap mic is a (temporary) loss-leader, launched by a company with deep pockets (think Amazon's killing off Zappos by selling every shoe at a loss until Amazon picked up Zappos at a fire sale), and its price will rise 666% as soon as Neumann has been driven into bankruptcy.

4. the cheap mic is indeed of lower performance, and not worth more than £450

If, unlike the alien, you had the slightest understanding of any market, including that of microphones, and you would choose any option but four, you should take some business classes at your local community college (they are free here in Switzerland!)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

But is this alien U87-AI intelligent?
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
I too find the prospect of getting a comparable microphone at 1/6th the price questionable.

As for Stam Audio products, having read the drama surrounding so many of their transactions, I'd never give them my business.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Iain - for me, a FET47 is not necessary for my collection, but if it absolutely IS for yours, I'd highly suggest :

Heiserman
That's a great demo of that mic. Love the vocal performance and sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Glad you like it!! We have worked really hard to get that mic sounding great.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thanks guys!

Thanks to this thread my order is now in and deposit paid for a pair of black H47’s! We’re definitely short on LDC’s at the studio so this should be a healthy push in the right direction!

Cheers
Iain
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You're gonna love 'em!
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Budget and sounding exactly like a Neumann is the AA (Advanced Audio).
A bit more but still great value and a much bigger sound is the Horch Fet.
Now let the people that have no experience with either start talking......
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Budget and sounding exactly like a Neumann is the AA (Advanced Audio).
A bit more but still great value and a much bigger sound is the Horch Fet.
Now let the people that have no experience with either start talking......

Nice to know, but are you talking about the cm47fet, or the cm47 tube?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by benoïde View Post
Nice to know, but are you talking about the cm47fet, or the cm47 tube?
The fet.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

you will want the producer choice version, the CM47fet/ce, imo

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search