The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording with Apogee Rosetta 800 at 44.1kHz or 88.2kHz + Sample rate conversion Mixers (Analog)
View Poll Results: Which sample rate to record at with the Apogee Rosetta 800 for your tracks and mixes
44.1kHz from tracking to mixing down to CD burning
10 Votes - 43.48%
88.2kHz for tracking and mixing down + Sample Rate Conversion of final mixes to 44.1kHz
6 Votes - 26.09%
96kHz for tracking and mixing down + Sample Rate Conversion of final mixes to 44.1kHz
7 Votes - 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st May 2007
Gear Addict

Recording with Apogee Rosetta 800 at 44.1kHz or 88.2kHz + Sample rate conversion

CD is the final format for my work

I am recording into Samplitude through an Apogee Rosetta 800

I will feed the seperate recorded tracks out of Samplitude via the Rosettas into several channels of a Toft ATB analog mixing board.

The stereo output of the Toft console will then feed the final mix back into Samplitude through two A/D channels of the Apogee Rosetta 800 convertors.

Using and Apogee Rosetta 800 for capturing the audio, is it going to sound better in the end to:

1. Record all tracks and the final mix at 44.1kHz, keeping the entire project at 44.1kHz all the way from the start to finish, to the final CD burn?

or

2. Record the tracks at 88.2kHz , mix down the final mix from the analog console to 88.2kHz and then do s sample rate conversion using Voxengo r8brain to convert the final mix from 88.2 to 44.1 for CD burning?

or

2. Record the tracks at 96kHz , mix down the final mix from the analog console to 96kHz and then do s sample rate conversion using Voxengo r8brain to convert the final mix from 96 to 44.1 for CD burning?

Which one is going to give the best sound quality in your opinion?

Thanks for any words of wisdon on this one!
Old 21st May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Wyler View Post
CD is the final format for my work

I am recording into Samplitude through an Apogee Rosetta 800

I will feed the seperate recorded tracks out of Samplitude via the Rosettas into several channels of a Toft ATB analog mixing board.

The stereo output of the Toft console will then feed the final mix back into Samplitude through two A/D channels of the Apogee Rosetta 800 convertors.

Using and Apogee Rosetta 800 for capturing the audio, is it going to sound better in the end to:

1. Record all tracks and the final mix at 44.1kHz, keeping the entire project at 44.1kHz all the way from the start to finish, to the final CD burn?

or

2. Record the tracks at 88.2kHz , mix down the final mix from the analog console to 88.2kHz and then do s sample rate conversion using Voxengo r8brain to convert the final mix from 88.2 to 44.1 for CD burning?

or

2. Record the tracks at 96kHz , mix down the final mix from the analog console to 96kHz and then do s sample rate conversion using Voxengo r8brain to convert the final mix from 96 to 44.1 for CD burning?

Which one is going to give the best sound quality in your opinion?

Thanks for any words of wisdon on this one!
Every time you move a "virtual" digital fader, use a plugin or do anything ITB the software (if its any good) has to re-dither the digital signal. However good this re-dithering is there will still be "rounding up" or do down of the numbers involved. This, as you probably all ready know, is known as quantisation errors. More and more errors translate into that horrible harsh sound that originally gave digital audio a bad name.

Using a higher sample rate of 96k will mean fewer errors and hopefully a more natural sound.

It looks like you are summing OTB which is a much better way of doing things but you may still be automating etc ITB or using plugs all of which cause the above problems.

In short you're better of with higher sample rates!

And contrary to some peoples belief, capturing higher frequencies is not the main benefit of using higher sample rates!

Also mix at 24/96k and only convert & dither down as the VERY last job. Even send the 24/96 file to your M.E. if you're using one and let him do that bit for you.

Hope this helps.
Old 26th May 2007
I also work with the Rosetta 800 and Samplitude. 88 gives a little more sparkle in the top end in my studio compared to 44. That's even when you dither it down and compare it to a 44 recording. Some plug ins are also optomized at the higher sample rates too. Hutch from Manley also told me he prefers the higher sample rate as well. Well that's too opinions for you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search