The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favourite Tube-microphone? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th February 2019
  #31
Gear Head
 

So, I’m a newbie doing some mic testing and I have one tube mic, a Lauten Eden (so that’s my favorite), but I have a somewhat on topic question.

To make the Eden (which has an EF86 tube BTW) have the same perceived loudness as my other mics—solid state transformerless—I need to make the peak levels significantly lower than the others. Normalizing” the levels results In the tube mic being way louder. Is this normally the case with favored tube mics or is this something that varies from mic to mic?

Note that in this case, I was doing slow, low volume, low dynamic, female vocals (Silent Night) ~1ft back.
Old 18th February 2019
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
Larry, I saw you were the most recent post on this thread and I said to myself “M49” and there you were!
lol. Small industry!
Old 18th February 2019
  #33
Gear Head
 

If your budget is over 2000$,...you should try out the Gefell M92.1s or the Gefell M990. Best Mics I've worked with so far.
Old 18th February 2019
  #34
Gear Head
 
judedog's Avatar
I picked up a Chandler REDD in January. Still blown away by it
Old 18th February 2019
  #35
Lives for gear
I want to post a picture of an MXL Fox with a 12ax7 taped to the handle, but GS has always baffled me regarding attachments.
Old 18th February 2019
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I want to post a picture of an MXL Fox with a 12ax7 taped to the handle, but GS has always baffled me regarding attachments.
Go advanced.

Hit manage attachments

Now just tap where it says drop files to upload.

Hit photo library (if you have one)

At that point your photo library should pop up. Select the photos you want to add. Hit done and you should see them loading up.

I just attached a couple for fun...
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite Tube-microphone?-a9195c9e-f784-430d-a81c-37ac0abf7d24.jpg   Your favourite Tube-microphone?-6e65cea1-f203-4015-b576-62cb801b9991.jpg   Your favourite Tube-microphone?-0d064b1c-24b6-4efb-9535-a992e1980dfe.jpg  
Old 18th February 2019
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
I should have posted this one for this thread...

Four of my tube babies...
Oliver Archut M49C he made custom for me.
1970 Radio Institute of Popov St. Petersburg prototype Stereo Russian tube microphone.
Altec M11 Coke Bottle Omni microphone
Capps 2050 Omni tube microphone
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite Tube-microphone?-1d32ab5a-6c7d-4634-a747-97686568744b.jpeg  
Old 18th February 2019
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
...I just attached a couple for fun...
Wow!
What year are the Altec Lansings?
What tube inside the 49? Capsule a Neumann?
Old 19th February 2019
  #39
Lives for gear
You put these tubes and this mic into a Grundig tube recorder, wow, classic sound through a gooey candy coating.

Some people might notice the tubes don’t seem to be connected. Two things: first, what track isn’t better simply from being near a tube? Second, the tubes are like the sympathetic strings on a sitar. They are not played, they resonate... cosmically.
Yeah, that’s it.
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite Tube-microphone?-0ab6858f-d17f-46d1-850e-9ad6e57b880e.jpg  
Old 19th February 2019
  #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
You put these tubes and this mic into a Grundig tube recorder, wow, classic sound through a gooey candy coating.

Some people might notice the tubes don’t seem to be connected. Two things: first, what track isn’t better simply from being near a tube? Second, the tubes are like the sympathetic strings on a sitar. They are not played, they resonate... cosmically.
Yeah, that’s it.
Well, in that case, I will build some 2D diffusors out of old tubes. My recordings will be sooo vibey


Does anyone have experience with the newer Telefunken stuff?
They com across as a bunch of shareholders that use the name, not like a real audio company but I might be completely wrong on this. Just given the fact, that they where just distributors of the classic Neumanns made me a little sceptic
Old 19th February 2019
  #41
Gear Addict
 

Through a strange series of co-incedences I ended up with two u67s and an M269C all at very good prices and one of them ended up being worked on by Klaus. It is the best microphone I’ve ever heard by a good bit. It’s kind of all of the things you like about a u67 without any of things you don’t like. I little bit more open, little bit less muddy. It’s got a kind of authority in the mid range and at the same time sounds like a good warm hug. I reallly really love this damn mic. It gets used for vocals probably 80% of the time over the other Unmodified Neumann’s (Which sounds strikingly similar to each other)

Edit: I should add. It’s never harsh and handles esses in the most beautiful way!
Old 19th February 2019
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
Through a strange series of co-incedences I ended up with two u67s and an M269C all at very good prices and one of them ended up being worked on by Klaus. It is the best microphone I’ve ever heard by a good bit. It’s kind of all of the things you like about a u67 without any of things you don’t like. I little bit more open, little bit less muddy. It’s got a kind of authority in the mid range and at the same time sounds like a good warm hug. I reallly really love this damn mic. It gets used for vocals probably 80% of the time over the other Unmodified Neumann’s (Which sounds strikingly similar to each other)

Edit: I should add. It’s never harsh and handles esses in the most beautiful way!
Very well said! That's exactly how i feel about it too.

That extra bite in the midrange makes vocals pop like crazy, love it. I almost feel the u67 is to smooth sometimes, like almost a ribbon type quality to it. Anyways i wouldn't miss my u67 to much if i where to sell it, but the 269c would haunt me forever haha!
Old 19th February 2019
  #43
Gear Addict
 

I get why some people don’t like their u67s modified. They are incredibly smooth but you can hear some of the hardcore negative feedback or filtering or something at work. It does something to the phase coherency. Klaus’s u67 has all of the stuff I like about the u67 and none of the stuff I don’t like... it sounds darn close to finished right off the bat. I end up making more artistic decisions and less corrective decisions.
Old 19th February 2019
  #44
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
REDD
CM800T
Gefell M990

Favourite: CM800T

Audition as many as you can, you may be surprised. Just like choosing monitors, expectations from hours upon hours of research can be thrown upside down in seconds.
Old 20th February 2019
  #45
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
I get why some people don’t like their u67s modified. They are incredibly smooth but you can hear some of the hardcore negative feedback or filtering or something at work. It does something to the phase coherency. Klaus’s u67 has all of the stuff I like about the u67 and none of the stuff I don’t like... it sounds darn close to finished right off the bat. I end up making more artistic decisions and less corrective decisions.
I have a Klaus 67 and it is bright and airy but still with that 67 midrange. It is the most “finished” sounding mic I’ve ever used. Put this mic on any source, push up the fader and it sounds like a record. It’s really special.
Old 9th March 2019
  #46
M92.1, m49 and m149. They all sound slightly different but are all excellent. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 11th March 2019
  #47
In the last decade I must have tried 30 different LDC’s (vintage and modern).

I’m not convinced people in the 21st century know how to design and build a good mic.

All the mics I like are 40 or more years old.
?????
Old 11th March 2019
  #48
Lives for gear
 
paul brown's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
In the last decade I must have tried 30 different LDC’s (vintage and modern).

I’m not convinced people in the 21st century know how to design and build a good mic.

All the mics I like are 40 or more years old.
?????
You used to rave about Beesneez Microphones!
Old 11th March 2019
  #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brown View Post
You used to rave about Beesneez Microphones!
Good for the price.
Hand made etc
Much better than Chinese
But nothing gets close to vintage AKG & Neumann imho.
They’re expensive though.
Old 11th March 2019
  #50
Gear Maniac
 
___GLM___'s Avatar
Have a look at the diamond series from Telefunken USA. Doesn’t get better than this. Sold all my other Neumann mics. Kept the AKG 414 as an cheaper Allrounder. But with the u47, c12 and Elam 251 and 3 different preamps I have a nice sound palette and can do any sound I need.

(Ok a ribbon like the 44 is also nice )
Old 11th March 2019
  #51
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
The Brauner VM1 Klaus Heyne Edition is sublime. I think it still has the record for having the lowest self-noise level of any tube mic. It can’t be beat for VO work. It also sounds brilliant on a large percentage of vocalists. It’s nit my first choice for acoustic guitars, but I love it on upright bass, cello and guitar cabs.

The Cathedral Pipes Regensburg Dom holds its own compated to a real U47. It’s got more patterns, has the same amazing sibilance de-emphasis on top and warm bottom end but a mire modern sounding mid-range. It’s stupid how good it sounds when you compare its price to the Telefunken U47 and many of the U47 clones. Besid vocals, it rules as a kick mic, as a mono overhead, percussion and bass cab. I haven’t had a chance to try it on cello yet, but I expect it will be great.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
pkuchar / So Much Gear, So Little Time
100
konradfounded / Low End Theory
1
perx / So Much Gear, So Little Time
24
ProToCall / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
38

Forum Jump
Forum Jump