The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon 300 or 300L?
Old 1st July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
^ Trust this man. He knows his lexicons.
LOL.......Thank you Man,
I think over the years if you compiled all the Posts I have written on GS alone, there just might even be a short form DIY guide to Lexicon units as well and especially the M/L300 (Naturally with "Various other Models & Lexicon units from the Vintage range) from the once Mighty Reverberation Giant... that is now nothing more then...sadly a little Harman mouse!

Kind Regards
TheLastByte!

P.S Vocals07...... Please, if you are having M/L300 problems and/or the unit is not sounding as you'd expected, you may want to see previous Posts in various threads from 2009/10 etc! Just search Lexicon M/L300 and others you care to create with!
Here for the gear

Lexicon 300L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Are you sure you've got the uni plugged in correctly? And what Algo's or Patches are you using and what or where do you perceive the L300's huge problems to be?

Does it sound thin? Or.....You just don't like the sound etc..how are you using it, with DAW interface, Console, Summing....I mean if you can expand on that, I might be able to help you get the L/300 up and running, though if you want a 300 to sound like a PCM bundle which is a PCM-92/96 I'm afraid they are Totally different Algorithms etc. Are you sure you've done the RTFM ordeal and then gone through the LARC......etc? Are you in Cascade mode or Split or Single Algo mode etc? Maybe you're stuck in PONS dither or some program....seriously, do reply so we can help you out!

Regards
TheLastByte
I appreciate the input, I had it hooked up properly and went through each bank and preset, as you have said its really all in what you hear and like. Basically I felt that the presets needed to be adjusted, sounded just too wet so I'm getting rid of it. I bought the Altiverb 7 and honestly? This thing has it all.
N.E
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Ok, remote guys, please don't jump on me ......................but I am buying a 300.

I am just not sure I want to be forced to learn another remote right now.

LARC is really easy to use. you will familiarize yourself within the first day of using it.

Quote:
My thought is that I will see if I can pick up a LARC. If so, I could upgrade the 300 so I could work either way: front panel or remote. That is a more costly route, but it gives me flexibility.
Once the LARC is instaled the front panel becomes inactive. You will never reach for it anyway tho!

Quote:
The only problem with this master plan is that I haven't seen anybody selling any stand-alone LARC's.
I've never seen a LARC by itself on the market. I wouldn't go that route If I were you.
Lives for gear

Lexicon M/L300 - Everyone Has Different Tastes etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocals07 View Post
I appreciate the input, I had it hooked up properly and went through each bank and preset, as you have said its really all in what you hear and like. Basically I felt that the presets needed to be adjusted, sounded just too wet so I'm getting rid of it. I bought the Altiverb 7 and honestly? This thing has it all.
Just wow, I find that really interesting as... Obviously those IR's in Altiverb you are hearing are now at a point where there are so many Filtered, delayed and equalised processes involved with just making a Simple Impulse Response (I.E Gunshot IR of Church or Rich Plate in M/L300 or Shimmer in an H3000) akin to any type of Algorithmic Reverberation is near astonishing! Altiverb to me in 2015 has so much scope that to seriously call all of those "Parameters" in the Plug In....."Impulse Responses" and just very basic ones at that.....is near an actual psychoacoustic process (Such as Transient Designer or Elysia Nvelope) alongside additional pre-delay, Post delay, Microphone placement, and depth, density, Far and Near placement of Quad Filtering Networks etc.....that in all honesty Altiverb is near as algorithmic as a Lexicon M/L300 Random Hall or Ambiance Reverb!

I personally feel that as the M/L300 is a Reverb/Effects Processor with so many variable options it does and can overwhelm people. I would think the LARC is actually a barrier for you as you just can't program away as you can say on a PCM-70 or 80/81/90/91 etc. This is why I favour the Prime Time MKII and PCM41/42 Delays as they are physical in touch and give instant user results with an Almost Tactile movement between parameter and Hand, that brings instant feedback, judgement, and.......most of all satisfaction in either that sounds right or wrong!

LARCS are not exactly dying totally and Mr. Kulka from Studio Electronics is making a new AMS inspired S-DMX-1580/S & RMX-16 Remote so there is some hope should all Larcs actually die! Though I agree, that you either use a LARC or Front Panel. Just Adjusting the Room Size, Ganged Parameters and RT/Decay and Spin/Wander times can do wonders to create a Reverb, delay or Flanger that is custom and 100% yours. Though who knows you're music making situation.......I mean if you're making Trip Hop and Berlin Dance then obviously you will want and require certain H3000 and PCM80/81 Sounds to get into that vibe, on the other hand if you are Recording Classical Folk or Symphonic and Chamber stuff, the Random Ambience Algo and it's Studio A and B rooms get not much Better......thrown in some Rich Plate and you have a Choral of Vocals in a Church? Ultimately it's up to you, though the LARC is the least of your problems, as I feel this is a READ THE MANUAL scenario and it's all too hard! - That's fine as well, not everyone is predisposed to sitting up late at night and working thru manuals with Audio gear. Some Musicians just want to DIG INTO the MUSIC ........and they want to do that NOW! To me this sounds like you! In that case.........?

Try Some Audio Software like:

Valhalla VVV, and the other programs
Relab LX480
Lexicon
Exponential etc.

Those 4 Alone might just do with the Soundtoys Bundle for Delays and FX all you've ever needed and/or wanted! If you're going to dump the M/L300 and Larc....Please send me a PM with you're asking price and I might be interested! Whatever the case.....Good luck, at least you had a go - though it just goes to prove, just because 80% of people feel a Compressor or Mic pre or Reverb is great does not Necessarily mean You Will.......Often you need to find you're own groove! Though it would indeed be sad to have bought an M/L300 Reverb /Effects System and NOT given it a red hot go when you had the chance! Maybe come back to the reverb in 2 weeks - a month even? You'd be amazed at just how quickly you can end up re-buying what you felt you didn't need or want in January, as in April.......It's the only Mojo Happening!

Regards and Good Luck!
TheLastByte!
Old 19th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
TheLastbyte,

Some tremendous information on here, always great to read posts where people know their onions....

I have had the little brother, PCM 80 for many years the analogue ins/outs are now not working (could be one/both) though the digital is fine when hooked up to a computer. Is that a usual fault, probably to do with the internal converters and therefore irreparable?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 29th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa View Post
TheLastbyte,

Some tremendous information on here, always great to read posts where people know their onions....

I have had the little brother, PCM 80 for many years the analogue ins/outs are now not working (could be one/both) though the digital is fine when hooked up to a computer. Is that a usual fault, probably to do with the internal converters and therefore irreparable?

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve,
Thank you for you're props etc! Hmmm? This sounds quite odd? The Digital In/Out is working fine though no Analogue Inputs or outs. Quite often the reason is either simple or serious....I.E Op Amps blown on the In/Out Analog Circuit, though to me this sounds like the unit has been set in "Digital Mode".

1. Flick through the Control Pages
2. Find where Analog + Digital is
3. See if the PCM-80/81 is set to Analog Only - or Digital Only (It sounds like it's set to Digital only)

4. Switch to Analog and see if a Signal come in, then hit Digital (You can use both inputs/Outs at the same time I.E S/Pdif and Analog)
5. See if the PCM-80 when in Digital is switched to EXT or INT as it's clocking source (Usually external is the routing)
6. The PCM-80 will also look for Word Clock - In Digital Mode You can always and easily create a Bodge RCA 75 Ohm to XLR 110 Ohm Cable and the Digital will see "CLock" also make sure EMP or Emphasis is switch to OFF

7. Here is where I think your problem might lay - When In Digital mode the Engine of the PCM-80 has to supply both the Analog and Digital Inputs/Outputs etc. So here is a Subset of things to try:

7. A. Clear the Error log for CRC and Sample Lock.
7. B. You need to share the Analog + Digital Signals equally. This means either 49% Digital or 51% Analog or 99% Digital or 99% Analog.
7.C. As you might now guess, your PCM-80 might be set to 99% Digital, this would mean no room or level or function for Analog Signals etc.

8. Re-Adjust the PCM-80 so it's either Half Analog + Digital or Digital + Analog. Try 99% Analog ........No Check if the Analog In/Outs are working? (As Digital will not)
If they are.....that was the problem!
If they not.....that means a deeper diagnostic.

Hope that works......Just go into Control Mode on the PCM-80 and Adjust!
Do let us know how you get on!
Regards
TheLastByte
Old 30th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Thanks TheLastByte!

I fear it's a technical issue. I set it up with a standalone converter, the Motu 2408 receiving a send from my desk, converting and sending to the PCM 80 spdif input. I set the input to 100% digital (the analogue really doesn't work, nothing shows on the PCM 80 LED when connected with the analogue input set to 100%/dig 0% despite it showing on the Motu input when connected there)

Set to digital the LED lights up showing an input (ext 48k) and the analogue outputs work fine - in fact I managed to record the reverb for a drum room. Without me changing anything though, the output disappeared. The input still shows and I've changed nothing on the desk. When I turn everything off and setup again, it seems to work fine, then goes off.

I'll have to get it looked at...very frustrating. Maybe I should save up for the m300! quite pricey used here in the UK though :-)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 1st August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks TheLastByte!

I fear it's a technical issue. I set it up with a standalone converter, the Motu 2408 receiving a send from my desk, converting and sending to the PCM 80 spdif input. I set the input to 100% digital (the analogue really doesn't work, nothing shows on the PCM 80 LED when connected with the analogue input set to 100%/dig 0% despite it showing on the Motu input when connected there)

Set to digital the LED lights up showing an input (ext 48k) and the analogue outputs work fine - in fact I managed to record the reverb for a drum room. Without me changing anything though, the output disappeared. The input still shows and I've changed nothing on the desk. When I turn everything off and setup again, it seems to work fine, then goes off.

I'll have to get it looked at...very frustrating. Maybe I should save up for the m300! quite pricey used here in the UK though :-)

Cheers,
Steve
Not sure I Understand?.....Erm are ... you are saying that the PCM-80 shows analog outs on MOTU Meters though no metering in the unit itself? You might need to explain you're set up a touch more.....let me know!
Cheers
TLB.
Old 1st August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Not sure I Understand?.....Erm are ... you are saying that the PCM-80 shows analog outs on MOTU Meters though no metering in the unit itself? You might need to explain you're set up a touch more.....let me know!
Cheers
TLB.

Ah sorry TLB, my route is analogue out of my desk, into the Motu converter - signal shows fine in the Motu LEDs, it converts to SPDIF into the PCM80, the input LEDs of the PCM 80 show it's receiving a digital signal from the Motu (100% digital input) and I use the Lexicon analogue outs back to the desk to monitor. The analogue inputs on the PCM80 don't work at all.

Happened again this morning, when I first turn everything on, this setup works fine then without warning (or changing anything) the analogue outs from the PCM80 stop working, even though it's still receiving - and showing it's receiving - an SPDIF signal from the Motu.

Thanks again for your time,
Steve
Old 13th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah sorry TLB, my route is analogue out of my desk, into the Motu converter - signal shows fine in the Motu LEDs, it converts to SPDIF into the PCM80, the input LEDs of the PCM 80 show it's receiving a digital signal from the Motu (100% digital input) and I use the Lexicon analogue outs back to the desk to monitor. The analogue inputs on the PCM80 don't work at all.

Happened again this morning, when I first turn everything on, this setup works fine then without warning (or changing anything) the analogue outs from the PCM80 stop working, even though it's still receiving - and showing it's receiving - an SPDIF signal from the Motu.

Thanks again for your time,
Steve
Steve, this sounds like a relay or FET blown related problem, take the lid off, look at the back of the unit and see if any parts are looking worse for wear, like resistors Caps and Fets etc. Photo's also help!

Cheers
TLB
Old 13th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
You're very kind looking at this TLB! I will open it up and have a look. It actually behaved Ok all day yesterday! I've taken out my dual effects card expansion - not sure if that makes any difference longterm, we'll see. I've actually just decided to buy a PCM 81 which is for sale for £375, in fact he has a PCM 80 too for a bit less and I may offer to buy both off him for a deal, will solve my problem in a roundabout way!

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 9th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts View Post
There's no difference between the 2 .... the LARC is like Thrill a must have. It's not even comparable to using the front panel. You won't miss the frontpannel for a second.

one of the biggest advantages of having the remote is that you can put it in front of you and edit the decay / pre delay / whatever ... while facing your speakers ... realtime while listening to it. In 99/100 situations you are turned away when editing something in a rack.
That’s not really true. I have a mastering desk which I use for mixing and much prefer the clean space for other stuff than a remote etc...So, in this case I would highly suggest to pick up the less expensive 300 model.
📝 Reply