The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audeze LCD-XC vs Focal Clear Professional? Studio Headphones
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Audeze LCD-XC vs Focal Clear Professional?

Hi! I am wondering whether LCD-XC or Focal Clear (which are in the same price range) will provide the most "accurate representation" of audio you listen to? (24/48 FLAC files, some are 16/44.1 WAV files)

I also wonder if they are a good match for a pair of Adam A7X in a acoustically treated room or not? (That is, do they sound the same or is someone worse than the other one?) I realize bass due to physical size can never be as good as a sub or the actual bass elements in the A7X?

Finally, I wonder how much they really are, "you get what you pay for" and how much they are, "you pay mostly for the brand, rather than the product"?

I want to use one of these headphones to listen to music and audio "in the way it was meant to be heard by its original creator". I use MixPre-3 as DAC (is that OK or should I invest in Audient iD22 or iD44, I have iD14) and I just want to listen to music as their original creators intended them to sound.

I currently have a Sony MDR7506 for headphones and they must be popular due to their pretty accurate representation of sound but also due to their amazingly cheap price-tag?

I know it is silly question but how much better audio will LCD-XC or Clear provide compared to MDR7506 as headphones?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

They are both very, very good headphones. Although both are true to the source they also have different strengths because they employ different technologies. Personally I find the Audeze sound more natural, and the LCDs are better at representing musical dynamics than any moving-coil headphones I've tried. If you like to hear a real thump from your kick and snare you'll get that above all from the Audezes. The Focals have more of a light and airy sound by comparison, with better representation of high frequencies.

Of the two, the Focals will definitely be more simliar to the Adam monitors than the Audezes. But what you way about bass is not so -- the Audezes in particular havei incredible bass, especially when driven from a good amp -- way better than any small monitor.

Really you need to try them both for yourself.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I would try them both. I listened to lcd-x and focal clear among many other high end headphones. Personally I found the lcd-x sounded great but they felt a bit scooped frequency wise. A lot of bass response. I found the clears felt more balanced across the frequency range, when I put on the lcd-x after the clears they just didn’t sound right to me balance wise. So I bought the clears. I think it’s more a case of getting used to the headphones though so i’m sure you’d be good with either. Andrew Shepps mixed the whole low roar record on Sony 7506 so it’s more about knowing your tools intimately and how they translate. I bought the focal clears because I disn’t have years to spend learning headphones and wanted something well balanced from the get go. The clears are exceptionally well balanced overall, they sound amazing and once you go back to your regular headphones the difference can be dramatic. I have Sony 7520 also and they just sound very muffled and muddy after getting used to the clears. The 7520 are great headphones however it’s just that the clears are on a different level clarity wise. There’s a lot more air around the sound and depth in the sound field with open back headphones.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search