The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC vs. Neve?! The hell...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

ATC vs. Neve?! The hell...

Hello folks,

Have the option to add either a pair of ATC SCM20ASL's or either an AMS Neve 1084 in BAE 2-Space rack or Neve 1073DPX.

Current monitors: NS10M with Bryston 4BST

Current pres: 1 BAE 1084, 8 SSL VHD Inputs (XR-627's)

Music recorded is strictly rock. Converters are HD I/O's. Room properly treated.

This is purely subjective/opinion based on which you think may make the most significant addition at this point.

Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Given that choice, I would personally go with speakers. But this is a very very personal choice... I just see the speakers as being a bigger hole in your setup
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Your ears are the most important tools in the equation. So, room treatment, monitors, DAC come first. The 20s are perfect for what you need, one of the best nearfields on the market.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

The ATCs.

Source: I have ATC 20s, NS-10s, a BAE1073, an AMS1073 and an original vintage 1073, and I can tell you that the delta between ATC20 and NS10 > delta between BAE and AMS.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Thanks folks!

WithUsInHatred, that's exactly what I was looking for. Couldn't ask for a better baseline.

I was leaning that way, but the experience of others who have walked that road is valuable.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Bought the ATC's.

Keeping the NS10's too.

Because slutz.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
I have nothing useful to add to the convo, other than to say that this is the coolest GS nick I have seen in a long time.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Honestly, neither lol

Id add a sub that you can switch on or off and save the rest.. Youre setup is great
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Honestly, neither lol

Id add a sub that you can switch on or off and save the rest.. Youre setup is great
I think OP made the right choice by getting the new speakers and keeping the NS10's.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool711 View Post
Bought the ATC's.

Keeping the NS10's too.

Because slutz.
Good choice. You're set.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
I have nothing useful to add to the convo, other than to say that this is the coolest GS nick I have seen in a long time.
Wow, thank you! Didn't expect that compliment.

[Not to attempt to double down, but its a play on words: it's what my full name, if read in a prominent (but random to me) European language, happens to translate back to in English.]
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
Good choice. You're set.
Yep!

Except....., about that sub......
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Ok, fine, the setup might be a bit bass-shy. Some people like the very tight controlled bass roll-off that the ATCs have (supposedly adequate for strictly rock, has certainly been the case for me); some people don’t like subs (I have no experience with them for eg); everyone else will likely agree that you could use a sub.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

I wouldn’t call the atc scm20 bass shy in the slightest. They roll off sooner than a similarly sized ported speaker but I was comfortable mixing on them (in my room) all the way down to bottom f. I have since upgraded to scm50 asl but still miss the tightness of the scm20.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

You're going to need the ATC's before you can nit pick away at and hear any differences between the BAE and Neve.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search