The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dutch & Dutch Users?
Old 6 days ago
Dutch & Dutch Users?

Hi all,

a few threads already hovering around these speakers, but I have a few specific questions. I've been demoing them in my space for a few weeks. There are things I love and things I'm concerned about. Curious about other user opinions.

I love how full range they are. Great bass and low mids. Lots of depth and detail. Non fatiguing. Good use of DSP room tuning.

My concerns... stereo image seems a little small, or blurred perhaps? How are mixes translating? They sound fantastic, but I can't tell if they are flattering in the wrong way. These are speakers where I feel that I am "in the mix" but don't always feel like the information is easy to pick out of the line up.

I also do a lot of film post production mixing, so I need something that will be brutally honest for dialogue editing, noise reduction, etc. So far they seem OK at that. But I have to send my demo back and it's a big purchase. I've already done 2 rounds at VK and have demo'd ATC 45s, PSI 17s, Focal Solo6s. The Dutch are my favorite so far, but I do miss a little bit of the forward, studio monitor sound. These to me sound very relaxed and a bit "hi fi"

thoughts? especially from anyone who has worked on them for an extended period.

ps. I loved the Amphion 218s, but I felt they were missing the detail and top end needed for 5.1 theatrical mixing. For music only the Amphions would be my first choice.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I agree with your description. They are very relaxed in the area where our ears are the most sensitive, which makes them totally nonfatiguaing, but slightly less defined. I might suggest you to EQ them with their internal parametric eq...boost 0,5dB to 1dB centered around 2kHz with a Q of 0,5 and it might solve your issues.

I also suggest you that you try Genelec 8351s. They share many many attributes with Dutches but have more mid detail and slightly more pinpoint imaging, thought you'll need a sub with them to play in the same playing field in the low end.

If going other route I suggest you ATC SCM50s. 45s are not worth their money if you ask me, because their low mids and lows are not that good (I feel the same with 25s). When you move to the SL range it is a totally different story IMHO.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
I have to say for Film, Genelec the ones ie 8341,8351 hands down. I carry a pair with me on site they are that good I dont want to be without them. 8351 for sure. What distance between yourself and the monitors?
Old 4 days ago
Thank you both for the feedback. Very helpful. Yes I’ve had my eye on the 8351s as well. Heard them at VK but haven’t demo’d them in my space yet. As a composer I’ll also need them to function as tracking speakers. How do you think they’d fair for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I agree with your description. They are very relaxed in the area where our ears are the most sensitive, which makes them totally nonfatiguaing, but slightly less defined. I might suggest you to EQ them with their internal parametric eq...boost 0,5dB to 1dB centered around 2kHz with a Q of 0,5 and it might solve your issues.

I also suggest you that you try Genelec 8351s. They share many many attributes with Dutches but have more mid detail and slightly more pinpoint imaging, thought you'll need a sub with them to play in the same playing field in the low end.

If going other route I suggest you ATC SCM50s. 45s are not worth their money if you ask me, because their low mids and lows are not that good (I feel the same with 25s). When you move to the SL range it is a totally different story IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
I have to say for Film, Genelec the ones ie 8341,8351 hands down. I carry a pair with me on site they are that good I dont want to be without them. 8351 for sure. What distance between yourself and the monitors?
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
What distance between yourself and the monitors?
It’s a big room. Mixed use mixing and tracking. Around 1000 sq ft. The acoustic treatment is a middle ground between mixing and tracking.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Brokelyn View Post
stereo image seems a little small, or blurred perhaps?.
Def. neither here.

but don't always feel like the information is easy to pick out of the line up.

If you mean what I think - I hear you. I felt the same when I started using them. You just need to get used to them.

These to me sound very relaxed and a bit "hi fi"

That comment is not far off base. I agree w/Jantex here, a little EQ can go a long way. Just go in baby steps while adjusting.

Cheers.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post

That comment is not far off base. I agree w/Jantex here, a little EQ can go a long way. Just go in baby steps while adjusting.

Thanks for the input Jeff. Just curious if you tried the 8351s before deciding on the Dutch (assuming you ended up with the Dutch based on your comments. )
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

No, I did not try the 8351s

Cheers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search